Value of: Soucy (SEA), Graves (NJ) and Gavrikov (CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Feel these 3 guys could be in the second tier of top 4D a legit Cup contender may try to acquire.

Would think a 1st for both Graves and Gavrikov to get the convo started.

Soucy started out slow but getting more games in of late, a 2nd + B level pick/prospect?

All 3 have an extra year left on their deal.

• Soucy, 27 yrs old @ $2.75 mil per caphit
  • Averaging 17:21 mins of TOI, 3 goals and 6 pts in 20 games.

• Graves, 26 yrs old @ $3.16 mil per caphit
  • Averaging 21 mins of TOI, 3 goals and 10 pts in 25 games.

• Gavrikov, 26yrs old @ $2.8 mil per caphit
  • Averaging 21:17 mins of TOI, 2 goals and 13 pts in 26 games.

Feel Soucy would be more available of the 3 as NJ and CBJ would likely want to re-sign their guys but another 1st + prospect/pick could be tempting if they use those assets in another trade to acquire a better top 4D.

Not sure how far away NJ and CBJ fans feel they are from contending for a Cup.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Chiarot is worth a 1st, I don't see how Soucy isn't

Like it or not, the deadline prices largely depend on playoff pedigree and big minutes pedigree. Chiarot has both and Soucy doesn't. I haven't checked but I don't think he's played a lot of 23+ minute games in his career.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I think people are underestimating 1sts…. Last year they flew around a little more liberally cause there was so little opportunity for scouting in the pandemic the draft was kind of a crapshoot, but this being an (almost) “normal” year I think you will see teams hold them a little tighter

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think people are underestimating 1sts…. Last year they flew around a little more liberally cause there was so little opportunity for scouting in the pandemic the draft was kind of a crapshoot, but this being an (almost) “normal” year I think you will see teams hold them a little tighter

also last year with only top 4 in division making the playoffs teams knew they were safe in at deadline so less risk giving up 1sts

teams aren’t going to give up 1sts as a bubble team.

the D OP mentions are not on the market to be traded. Devils traded a 2nd to acquire Graves.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Like it or not, the deadline prices largely depend on playoff pedigree and big minutes pedigree. Chiarot has both and Soucy doesn't. I haven't checked but I don't think he's played a lot of 23+ minute games in his career.
Chiarot's playoff pedigree:
56 games played
20:58 average TOI
1 Goal
6 assists
-1 +/-
76 shots on goal (1.3% shooting )
171 total shot attempts
45 PIM
13 takeaways
61 giveaways
100 blocked shots
200 hits
CF% rel - -10.5
FF% rel - -9.7

These are not the numbers of a guy that is contributing to his team winning in the playoffs. Soucy can just as easily not produce and skate around hitting people.

Reactions: McJedi

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Pass. Graves plays on the first pair with Hamilton. He’s a big part of NJ’s defense.

Glad to hear he's playing well for NJ, seems like he's a lot better fit there than he was with the Avs.

He made some boneheaded mistakes during his time with the Avs and we couldn't afford him anyways, but he got better every year, wouldn't be surprised if he was a late bloomer.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Pass. Graves plays on the first pair with Hamilton. He’s a big part of NJ’s defense.

NJ isn't moving Graves.
I don't think, Graves is completely unavailable. The POs in a crowded Metro Division is probably out of reach for the Devils and New Jersey has drafted three LHD in the first round of the last four drafts. So it isn't a given, that he plays a featured role in the plans for the future. Still the ask to motivate them to move Graves would be substantially higher, than what they paid last summer (late 2nd and Maltsev).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it took time for Soucy to acclimatize to Seattle after playing quite well on MN's defensively sound team the past two years. He can play RD.
He is best as the main man on the third pairing or as a #4. Nice size and reach, some physicality, kind of awkward looking but has some offense to him, can drop the gloves a bit, though is by no means a heavyweight. Late bloomer...he is missed in MN.

I think he'd work best on a team with solid, structured team play rather than a run and gun team. In other words, maybe FLA this year, but not the FLA of past years.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Nj is not going to move Graves and would be interested in adding the other two mentioned . Severson is probably going to want to look at UFA and we won’t/shouldn’t pay that much on D ( eventually will have Hamilton and Luke Hughes plus Graves and? to pay ) so I can see bedding a replacement RHD .

OP - very good job at targeting efficient players . These guys are all under rated and good bargains IMO

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Chiarot's playoff pedigree:
56 games played
20:58 average TOI

Soucy:

12 gp
Under 14 minutes on average TOI.

You should be able to see the difference here.

One of these players has playoff pedigree, the other one doesn't. You don't have to like Chiarot's play more personally, but you have to understand that he's been used in roles that Soucy has not.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Soucy:

12 gp
Under 14 minutes on average TOI.

You should be able to see the difference here.

One of these players has playoff pedigree, the other one doesn't. You don't have to like Chiarot's play more personally, but you have to understand that he's been used in roles that Soucy has not.
The only difference I see is that Chiarot has had more time to prove he's ineffective in the playoffs. You're pretending that the fact that he is on the ice a lot proves that he is having a positive impact. He's not. His team is out-shot horribly while he is on the ice.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Idk if any of these teams have legitimate interest in moving these guys, but if they are then the Bruins should be up front in the bidding.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Idk if any of these teams have legitimate interest in moving these guys, but if they are then the Bruins should be up front in the bidding.

Feel all 3 teams are still a couple years away from being consistent playoff teams, let alone Cup contenders though.

CBJ and NJs core are all 25 or younger and still being drafted. They still need to develop the rest of it who have yet to play a full season or two. The Atlantic and Metro are buzzsaws right not in both top 3 spots and will be for next 3 years.

SEA will lack consistent offense imo and will need a couple high end drafts and trades to draft and support a core.

They have some good complimentary depth players right now but no high end elite skill.
If they choose to re-sign them, totally understand it but feel CBJ and NJ are not done developing the core that's 3-4 years away from all entering their primes.

Gio and Oleksiak likely stopgap it for SEA on LD so Soucy could net a decent asset or two.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I don't think, Graves is completely unavailable. The POs in a crowded Metro Division is probably out of reach for the Devils and New Jersey has drafted three LHD in the first round of the last four drafts. So it isn't a given, that he plays a featured role in the plans for the future. Still the ask to motivate them to move Graves would be substantially higher, than what they paid last summer (late 2nd and Maltsev).
He's definitely unavailable right now. While we have drafted a few high profile LD over the past few years we have 0 which are proven for the NHL. Smith is struggling heavy in his second year, Luke Hughes hasn't even played an NHL game yet, and Shakir Mukhamadullin hasn't even stepped foot on America soil.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Feel all 3 teams are still a couple years away from being consistent playoff teams, let alone Cup contenders though.

CBJ and NJs core are all 25 or younger and still being drafted. They still need to develop the rest of it who have yet to play a full season or two. The Atlantic and Metro are buzzsaws right not in both top 3 spots and will be for next 3 years.

SEA will lack consistent offense imo and will need a couple high end drafts and trades to draft and support a core.

They have some good complimentary depth players right now but no high end elite skill.
If they choose to re-sign them, totally understand it but feel CBJ and NJ are not done developing the core that's 3-4 years away from all entering their primes.

Gio and Oleksiak likely stopgap it for SEA on LD so Soucy could net a decent asset or two.

All these players are in the middle of their prime, you still need players to eat minutes to help the players develop and build a winning culture. It shouldn't be too hard to remember how long it took Florida to get out of that hole, and it definitely doesn't help by selling off these types of players.

If any of them have no interest in re-signing with their team i'm sure they'll consider trading them at some point next year as opposed to losing them for nothing, but Soucy is the only one I can see being remotely available. Also, Gio will be sold at the TDL, and most likely garner more than Soucy would because he brings a 'vet presence'.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Gio will be gone at the TDL, IMO, unless we're going on an insane run and get into playoff contention.
He stated even before the season that winning the cup is the only reason he's still playing and that won't happen with uns before his early 40's.
Could see us retaining up to 50% on him given that Francis has the green light to spend by the ownership group.

My guess is that Gio, Jarnkrok, Blackwell and Johansson(all UFA's) are the main guys available with a couple of other guys(could includ Soucy) being available for the right price as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad