Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Hesitant to make this thread because I don't know where the line is here in terms of insensitivity.

It's an unspeakable tragedy what happen to Johnny and Matthew and this is going to be an insanely difficult year for CLB management, fans, and most of all, players. I'm sure on ice considerations are the furtherest thing from their minds at this exact moment.

With all of that said, the show must always go on and life must go on. Columbus are an NHL hockey team who have to play 82 games this year and they are a team overdue to compete. They've built up a very promising core and now have been dealt an awful blow not just in the locker room but on the ice too.

I'm sure there will be people to jump down my throat with "this isn't the time" or "who cares right now" but Don Waddell has to walk a tightrope of knowing when it's not appropriate to "replace" him in the lineup vs when he needs to focus on his job as a General Manager of a hockey club.

What do you think they do? What precedent is there for this in professional sports? They've lost their best forward and their biggest contract. Do they throw in the towel on this season and not even worry about on-ice results? Do they make a move before the season? Do they wait x amount of time until they feel it's appropriate to deal for a forward (deadline), next off season etc? There were rumblings about Kaprizov a while back, do they take a major run at him? Zegras?

Again, I'm not trying to take the focus off the tragedy and the lives lost, but there is a hockey element to this too. Hoping this can be a mature thread. Surely I'm not the only one to whom this thought has occurred and it does nothing to distract from the somber nature of the situation.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
I wonder this also a lot do but i think business is just going to come in second hand this time and time will tell.

Reactions: Coffees

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Honestly, go through the motions of getting "over" it.

People won't be over it at the same time. It might take weeks, months, years, or always be in the back of their head.

Their big free agent signing will likely be a bit off and who knows how long for Monahan after going to Columbus to play with Johnny was likely a reason to go there.

I'd say going into this season there's no expectations for the blue Jackets.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Personally, I think it's okay to begin talking about this. Players are arriving in their respective cities for informal skates, and the business of hockey pushes on.

Johnny is a huge loss to the Jackets, and of course all of hockey in general. He is irreplaceable on the ice and in the community. The team unfortunately, will take a massive hit this year. There are very little to no, high price UFA's left to bring in.

I for one, am rooting for the Jackets to have a phenomenal season, in tribute to Johnny.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
They will be developing for a few years again. Just no way around it that roster looks like one of the worst in the east with the loss of Laine and Gaudreau (rip).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's a terrible tragedy, and very unfortunate for the Blue Jackets organization.

As it sits right now, they are below the Salary Cap floor. Will the league hold them to the Salary Cap floor requirement, or give them an exception?

If the league holds them to the floor rule, what transactions, or taking on LTIR players will they do, to reach the Salary cap floor?

Monahan signed with Columbus, to play with one of "his best friends" in Gaudreau. Will he still want to be there?

Just curious, but is his cap hit removed now? If so is CBJ above the cap floor? If not what happens?
The cap hit is removed, they are below the Cap floor. As far as what happens.... stay tuned, nobody knows yet, but probably have to reach the Cap floor, unless an exemption is granted.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Johnson Monahan Marchenko
Jenner Fantilli Chinakov
Voronkov Sillinger Danforth
_______ Kuraly Olivier

Werenski Severson
Provorov Jiricek
Harris Gudbranson
Johnson

Tarasov
Merzlikins

Maybe just go after a bottom 6 player and see what happens. Might be another tank year.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I think until after the funeral for the Guadreau’s that happens on Monday, will there be any formal type of talks. Informally probably in the next few days.

The plan per GMDW prior to this tragedy was to add a veteran forward by all indications, but that would have been a bottom 6 player. Probably after camp or cap compliance for other teams.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Hesitant to make this thread because I don't know where the line is here in terms of insensitivity.

It's an unspeakable tragedy what happen to Johnny and Matthew and this is going to be an insanely difficult year for CLB management, fans, and most of all, players. I'm sure on ice considerations are the furtherest thing from their minds at this exact moment.

With all of that said, the show must always go on and life must go on. Columbus are an NHL hockey team who have to play 82 games this year and they are a team overdue to compete. They've built up a very promising core and now have been dealt an awful blow not just in the locker room but on the ice too.

I'm sure there will be people to jump down my throat with "this isn't the time" or "who cares right now" but Don Waddell has to walk a tightrope of knowing when it's not appropriate to "replace" him in the lineup vs when he needs to focus on his job as a General Manager of a hockey club.

What do you think they do? What precedent is there for this in professional sports? They've lost their best forward and their biggest contract. Do they throw in the towel on this season and not even worry about on-ice results? Do they make a move before the season? Do they wait x amount of time until they feel it's appropriate to deal for a forward (deadline), next off season etc? There were rumblings about Kaprizov a while back, do they take a major run at him? Zegras?

Again, I'm not trying to take the focus off the tragedy and the lives lost, but there is a hockey element to this too. Hoping this can be a mature thread. Surely I'm not the only one to whom this thought has occurred and it does nothing to distract from the somber nature of the situation.
Have to do something to get above the salary cap floor

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
its
It's a terrible tragedy, and very unfortunate for the Blue Jackets organization.

As it sits right now, they are below the Salary Cap floor. Will the league hold them to the Salary Cap floor requirement, or give them an exception?

If the league holds them to the floor rule, what transactions, or taking on LTIR players will they do, to reach the Salary cap floor?

Monahan signed with Columbus, to play with one of "his best friends" in Gaudreau. Will he still want to be there?

The cap hit is removed, they are below the Cap floor. As far as what happens.... stay tuned, nobody knows yet, but probably have to reach the Cap floor, unless an exemption is granted.
I think they will be given an extension to get to the floor but I don't think they need it. They are not far from it. I think they are only 2.8M from the floor
Monahan has no choice at this point in time.

Reactions: Fogelhund

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
playoffs werent in the cards beforehand so i think bjs just play out the season and hope to get a good player with their pick.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Just want to post here to say this isn’t insensitive at all. Life goes on and this is a hockey board to discuss hockey things. If someone doesn’t like it, that’s their problem and they can stay out of this thread. But it’s been a week, this question is fair.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Not a move for right now, but they should go for Marner next summer.
Yeah, Marner as a UFA makes sense but not sure the Leafs let him get to free agency.

I wonder if a deal for Zegras can be worked out in season or next offseason.

To get to the cap floor this season, here's a wild one: Does Jonathan Toews still want to come back? Could be a good guy for that locker room.

Reactions: Sacha BOXviert

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah, a skilled, point producing winger makes sense given the circumstances.

Buchnevich, Kaprizov, Zegras, Marner, depending on what they want to give up and who is available. Don't think the Leafs make good partners because they won't want futures and a guy like Werenski won't be available from CLB I don't think.

To get to the cap floor this season, here's a wild one: Does Jonathan Toews still want to come back? Could be a good guy for that locker room.

Marner is a UFA, so they can sign him without giving up any assets on July 1st. Unless you talking about a sign and trade with Toronto.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, a skilled, point producing winger makes sense given the circumstances.

Buchnevich, Kaprizov, Zegras, Marner, depending on what they want to give up and who is available. Don't think the Leafs make good partners because they won't want futures and a guy like Werenski won't be available from CLB I don't think.

Doubt a trade for Marner would be in the cards. He would be a UFA signing July 1, 2025.
Getting Zegras would be a smart play for a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad