Sooooo Are the Predators bad?

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
I'll say it. They look like crap. Their announcers are trying to be optimistic, but everything points to this team drastically improving this offseason to what was already a a good team. What is the deal?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Probably not as bad as 0-5 indicates (though I don't think it's undeserved) but the roster has flaws and success was dependent on some trends from late last year sustaining. If this hard stumble out the gate finally nets us a top 5 pick though, I won't complain too hard.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Too many new players brought in, so they have to get acclimated first.

I'm sure they'll start rolling in about 2-3.weeks, but hopefully that roll can be enough for them

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'll say it. They look like crap. Their announcers are trying to be optimistic, but everything points to this team drastically improving this offseason to what was already a a good team. What is the deal?
It’s a young man’s game and the Preds are old. Adding more older guys, who their previous clubs didn’t want, wasn’t how to get better.

Reactions: lordtrillson

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
They were supposed to be bad after selling at last year's deadline but got red-hot and went on a run. Added a bunch of really good veteran pieces in the off-season, have outstanding goaltending, and widely expected to contend for the top of the Central, but are laying an egg. I thought they would have come out swinging this year, they are such a strange team.

Reactions: Bard Marchand

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
A 20 game stretch made them finish a lot better than they probably deserved last season. That said, it’s 5 games into the season. We don’t really know which of the teams in the “muddy middle” are in it or not until game 40 or so.

Reactions: wintersej

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I think so far what I find the most surprising about them is the lack of goal scoring.

With all that talent up front, they should be potting a ton of goals.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Too many new players brought in, so they have to get acclimated first.

I'm sure they'll start rolling in about 2-3.weeks, but hopefully that roll can be enough for them

I think thats one of a handful of issues. It's going to take some time for the new guys to click with everyone and with Brunette constantly rotating guys and not really allowing any real chemistry to develope thats not helping either.

They havent necessarily been playing bad, but theyre not definitely not playing well either. Puck luck has been crap, weird bounces, passes arent connecting and the defense leaving Saros all by himself way too often. I can see them sorting themselves out, but until they get that first win its going to be rough. Mostly similar to last season imo when once Brunnettes system was understood and they started playing into it, they started playing better and winning.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Exactly! Signing several old guys to retirement contracts, whose hearts are still back in their previous cities, isn’t winning. That’s how teams implode.
To be fair Marchessault looks great and Skjei has been tied to the stump that is Luke Schenn. Turns out Tampa fans were right though, Stamkos sucks when he's not scoring at his spot.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
They pumped a lot of money into older wingers when they really need centers. They are into a tough position because #1 centers are hard to come by and pretty much have to be drafted (usually high in the draft). You can't really retool properly like Trotz wants if you don't have that foundational piece in place. They will likely rebound from the 0-5 start but it's a recipe for mushy middle if ROR is your top center.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Their start reminds me so much of the 19-20 Stars. Bubble team with heightened expectations after signing 2 players who were big names for their previous teams; Pavelski and Perry.

They started the season 1-7-1, didn't win a game in regulation. Ended the season in the finals.

Need to give them time to really see what they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad