Sooooo Are the Predators bad?

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
The main goal for any Playoff team is to create win streaks and minimize losing multiple games in a row.

It’s crazy to say it’s over for them but they need to win 5 in a row to be .500 and more to be a winning time. They need to at least have a 3-4 game win streak to stop the bleeding. As most said, they are/were a bubble team at best. Where as the Oilers have the talent and track record to overcome bad starts.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Stamkos was a pointless signing because the Preds have no centers to get him the puck. The plan to play him at center even though he's been a winger for years in TB didn't make any sense. I didn't understand any of Nashville's moves and still don't. Should have focused on defense and two way forwards as that's always been their identity.

Reactions: NyQuil

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
They will turn it around, it is a veteran group, so it might take time to gel. But they need help on the backend, yes Roman Josi is one of the best D man in game but after it is Skjei, who might hit 40 points, that may not enough.

They need to turn it around in the 2-3 weeks because if this goes on until mid-November, than they maybe in trouble.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The new players haven't bought into Brunette's system yet. But they're not doing themselves any favours right now by putting themselves into a hole right away.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Fire Brunette and get someone like Gallant. Getting a bunch of new core players to mesh with the system doesn’t work over night, and probably won’t work over the course of just one season.

They remind me of the 22-23 Flames. They’re gonna finish just outside the WC or get WC2.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
They have 3 players who do the same thing (right shot goal scorers) in Forsberg, Stamkos and Marchessault, and not enough players who do the other things needed, like centres.

They need to find a way to spread those 3 across the lines and PP and find the right partners for them.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
You could argue the Predators might be better off if they were a bad team but you know they will be decent, either getting in the dance or within a couple points of it

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
They've got a pretty damn stocked system of young talent so the idea that they sacrificed the future at a scrabble-brained attempt to win games now is just completely off the table. The big-ticket acquisitions were all through free agency. You can say "they may have screwed their cap structure in 4 years" but to be clear - if their younger talents get good enough to warrant the kind of contracts that will take moving off the aging stars from the 2024 summer splurge - that's really a problem for another day and not unlike one facing a host of other clubs in the league.

I'd also say it's reasonable to suspect that integrating a number of high-minute players was always going to be a process, so I suspect they will look much better in a month than they do now.

You can definitely pick at the type of roster construction they pursued though. Saros looks like he is having another poor start. Skjei was by all accounts a good blueline pick-up but they lost McDonagh and it just doesn't look like a good blueline - certainly not a contender's blueline - once you get past Josi. There seems redundancy in Stamkos and Marchy and what they bring at this point in their careers. And Novak/Sissons as your 2C options looks like a bet that is completely backfiring - which is made worse knowing ROR is not the same guy who anchored the Blues 1C spot to a Cup.

They've still got a lot of young players and prospect/pick ammo. Right now, you don't panic. See where the team is in December/January.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes, they added a bunch of good, not great UFA’s for no reason. They’re the 10th-20th best team in the league. Same as always. To change that will need a rebuild.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I wonder if there’s not some 2019 Blues to this team. When you bring in so many new guys it’s tough to mesh and get that identity early in the season. I would expect them to get it together but this start is not ideal.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ok, that's one publication's take.
I personally agree with that publication. Like I'd have Wood and Molendyk and Kemell a little higher, but still we're not talking about top 10 picks. When you pick in the middle, late first round you're probably getting a depth NHL'er. The Predators have depth in young players, but I don't see the players that make me think they have the pieces to rebuild into a Cup Contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad