Soo... Rick Nash the most over rated player?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Of course it does.

That doesn't and shouldn't take away from him playing elite in every other way.

It keeps his production in perspective though. Some seem to have lost that and when it's pointed out, they overcompensate with their praising of his other abilities.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He plays less even strength minutes than most of those other players yet has as many or nearly as many even strength points.

If we divided his 5 on 5 ice time by points scored 5 on 5 I think he may even come out as the top producer per min of 5 on 5 ice time. So it's not like PP time or points on it are skewing his stats positively, if anything it's helping those other players.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He plays less even strength minutes than most of those other players yet has as many or nearly as many even strength points.

If we divided his 5 on 5 ice time by points scored 5 on 5 I think he may even come out as the top producer per min of 5 on 5 ice time. So it's not like PP time or points on it are skewing his stats positively, if anything it's helping those other players.

Like Giroux who has 2 even strength goals all season. Nash has 15 and 3 shorthanded.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Good to see Nash scoring again. He had some trouble last year but you never know what the residual effects of a concussion can be. Different for every person.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
You've watched Tarasenko play every game and Nash play 2.
Their production is similar, their ice time is similar, and their defensive play is similar. But Tarasenko is playing against the likes of Chicago, Nashville, and LA, probably the three best defensive teams in the league, on a regular basis. Nash is not.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Their production is similar, their ice time is similar, and their defensive play is similar. But Tarasenko is playing against the likes of Chicago, Nashville, and LA, probably the three best defensive teams in the league, on a regular basis. Nash is not.

Okay :laugh:

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina

Tarasenko Takeaway to turnover ratio 4.5:1

Rick Nash Takeaway to turnover ratio 1.3:1

Tarasenko's Corsi and Fenwick numers are also significantly higher than Nash's (CF 54.3% to Nash's 48.2) with similar competition (Tank's opponents 50.6 to Nash's 50.7)

You're right, maybe I was overestimating Nash's defensive capabilities

Last edited:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
He wasn't "gunshy" he was legitimately out of shape. He admitted it, The team admitted it. The concussion caused him to not work out and be out of shape obviously but it's not like he was JUST playing sheltered out there and protecting his head.

Regardless, he was impotent on the ice last spring.

Now one may wish to excuse or ignore that ^^^ point. Likewise, one might wish to minimize his superb first half of this season.

Either POV would be intellectually dishonest.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Regardless, he was impotent on the ice last spring.

Now one may wish to excuse or ignore that ^^^ point. Likewise, one might wish to minimize his superb first half of this season.

Either POV would be intellectually dishonest.

No arguments. If Nash was playing like this last postseason, it's not unreasonable to think that the Rangers are the ones hoisting the cup in June.

I'm going to walk a fine line though. I don't want to defend his play last season/postseason. But at the same time, I give him credit for committing himself to other areas of the game. Backchecking in particular. Physical play, not so much, and in hindsight I understand completely - the guy had his bell rung and was suffering from the after effects. But he certainly wasn't a negative on the ice like a lot of people wanted me to believe. He wasn't a positive in the way he should have been, no question about it. And it was frustrating as hell. But the Rangers would not have been better off with him on the bench.

Nash is also the type of player (see: Jaromir Jagr) who, if he is not playing well, because of the way he skates and plays the game, looks like he isn't trying on the ice. Even though that is (almost assuredly) not true. But that certainly irks a lot of people, compared to the guys like Callahan or Helm or Parise - balls to the wall, even if they're not playing well they look like they're busting their ***** on the ice at all times.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Like Giroux who has 2 even strength goals all season. Nash has 15 and 3 shorthanded.

Even more so

5 on 5
Nash 386 minutes, 25 5on5 pts = .0647 point per 5on5 minute
Tarasenko 463mins, 26pts = .0561

If Nash's points per min were prorated (which is never a good idea) to Tarasenko's 463 mins, his point total would come out to 28pts

Out of the list of player I have seen mentioned, or not mentioned Tyler Johnson is the player that is closest at 28 pts in 443mins = .0632 pts per 5 on5 minute.

So in terms of 5 on 5 points per minute Nash has been the most productive player in the NHL to date this season (although I only went through the players who have scored >20 or so 5 on 5 pts)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Nash's problem is that yeah honestly he's not a super star player even though he was drafted #1 overall, has some very slick skills, and was paid handsomely by Columbus to be a super star player.

He's an excellent and consistent goal scorer and a very good bordering on star winger for most of his career, but he's not an elite super star winger who's going to put up over a point per game and be a threat to win the goal scoring race every year, but for some reason people kind of expected him to be that player. His contract doesn't help with that perception, but on the other hand if Columbus wanted to pay him like a super star why the heck would he say no to that??

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Nash's problem is that yeah honestly he's not a super star player even though he was drafted #1 overall, has some very slick skills, and was paid handsomely by Columbus to be a super star player.

He's an excellent and consistent goal scorer and a very good bordering on star winger for most of his career, but he's not an elite super star winger who's going to put up over a point per game and be a threat to win the goal scoring race every year, but for some reason people kind of expected him to be that player. His contract doesn't help with that perception, but on the other hand if Columbus wanted to pay him like a super star why the heck would he say no to that??

3rd in ES goals since 05 lockout? Sounds like a star winger to me. Just because he isnt a threat to win the scoring title every year doesn't mean he isnt a star scoring winger.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
His assist tonight was actually a goal. Should be a hat trick. Don't know why the league didn't change it.

Rick is on fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4