Sony PS5 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Looks like the rumors were accurate. Basically the Pro provides increased general GPU performance, increased ray tracing performance, and Sony's own AI upscaling solution similar to DLSS.

So the games that will benefit most are those with bad image quality in performance mode (FF16, Jedi Survivor, Star Wars Outlaws, UE5 games) and those with mediocre ray tracing features compared to PC (Cyberpunk, Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man, etc.).

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The sky high price was expected considering that the PS5 has increased in price.

Not including a disc drive at that price is the real crime here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's funny to think back to Sony basically putting Sega out of the console business by undercutting the Sega Saturn's price, then the whole PS3 fiasco and now this. It's like you don't learn.

Way to undo all the good will brought by Astro Bot, Sony.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's funny to think back to Sony basically putting Sega out of the console business by undercutting the Sega Saturn's price, then the whole PS3 fiasco and now this. It's like you don't learn.

Way to undo all the good will brought by Astro Bot, Sony.
Sony has only done the smart things they've done because of either being pushed by competition or sheer dumb luck. Like lapping xbox several times over because as it turns out, last gen was kinda big thanks to digital libraries moving to next gen is something people actually consider important.

They will absolutely screw consumers if Microsoft truly does drop hardware and Nintendo is happy to stay in their own little bubble doing what they want.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sony has only done the smart things they've done because of either being pushed by competition or sheer dumb luck. Like lapping xbox several times over because as it turns out, last gen was kinda big thanks to digital libraries moving to next gen is something people actually consider important.

They will absolutely screw consumers if Microsoft truly does drop hardware and Nintendo is happy to stay in their own little bubble doing what they want.
It's pretty much a cycle with video game companies. Whenever one gets ahead expect them to shoot themselves in the foot for a generation or two. Microsoft still hasn't recovered from the One and Nintendo really had to pull out all the stops after the Wii U was a total failure.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I bought a Series S for $300 CAD and got a 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate with a Turkish VPN for $115 CAD 1.5 years ago, still seems like an amazing deal looking at where modern gaming prices are going now lol.

Thankfully three generations of HD gaming consoles exist now though.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Wonder if they're testing the waters a bit for the PS6. With Microsoft floundering how much can we charge? And can we get away with not providing a disk drive?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It took 2 years for me to even find a PS5, so any mid-generation upgrade would have to be insane for me to even consider purchasing another PS5.

This...uh...doesn't even slightly move the needle. Ditching the drive and costs significantly more all for the benefit of a little more ray tracing? That's just insulting.

It's pretty much a cycle with video game companies. Whenever one gets ahead expect them to shoot themselves in the foot for a generation or two. Microsoft still hasn't recovered from the One and Nintendo really had to pull out all the stops after the Wii U was a total failure.

It's been the same cycle basically from the start of the home console business. Lessons are only ever learned in the short-term.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Wonder if they're testing the waters a bit for the PS6. With Microsoft floundering how much can we charge? And can we get away with not providing a disk drive?
This one i think is a non-starter for a non-irrelevant part of the consumer base.

Capcom just recently put out an earnings report that kinda covered this. 90% of their sales are digital but the CEO said that the 10% that still buys physical is still enough of a base to justify continue doing that medium.

Nintendo is still committed to doing physical as well since apparently the Switch 2 will have a cart slot on top of working with original Switch games.

Sony would be stupid to just nix it. The smart thing would be to, sadly, do what they're doing here. Sell it as an add-on and make even more money.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This one i think is a non-starter for a non-irrelevant part of the consumer base.

Capcom just recently put out an earnings report that kinda covered this. 90% of their sales are digital but the CEO said that the 10% that still buys physical is still enough of a base to justify continue doing that medium.

Nintendo is still committed to doing physical as well since apparently the Switch 2 will have a cart slot on top of working with original Switch games.

Sony would be stupid to just nix it. The smart thing would be to, sadly, do what they're doing here. Sell it as an add-on and make even more money.
They'll always push the envelope as far as they can until there's substantial pushback. It's a sad reality.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I was genuinely interested in purchasing a PS5 and hearing the Pro was on the way gave me pause to think maybe I should buy it instead...

Not for that f***ing price, holy shit. Especially without the disk drive. I can find other ways to flush a grand down the crapper.

Reactions: Forgotusername

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Nintendo is going to undercut their price on the next Switch and triple the sales. What the f*** is Sony thinking lol

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
There's also a difference between Switch 2 and the PS5 Pro.

I'll happily give Nintendo the likely $600 CAD for what is a new console that will have a solid library of new games and will likely last anywhere from 6-8 years. Since you know, it's new.

I am not giving Sony a grand for a console, which as of now only has a selling point of "YES BUT NOW YOU CAN SEE THE WRINKLES ON CHARACTERS EYELIDS IN GAMES FROM LAST GEN" and a library that's generally been panned as incredibly narrow over halfway into its life cycle. It''s a real bad look when one of the games they used to showcase the power of the PS5 Pro is The Last of Us Part 2 which a) is a last gen game and b) already got the new car smell treatment with an upgrade patch on base PS5.

You miss nothing if you don't buy one of these. Everything else is coming to base PS5. You actually have to upgrade on the switch 1 if you want to play the new Mario or Zelda when it drops later in the decade.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nintendo won't. Their interest in trying to compete head to head with the other options died with the N64.

They're just happy to do their own thing in their bubble while making insane amounts of money.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad