Sony PS5 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
There is just no buzz at all. I would have never even heard of it if it wasn't for this thread and i am more informed than the average gamer.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There is just no buzz at all. I would have never even heard of it if it wasn't for this thread and i am more informed than the average gamer.
What’s crazy is, Sony bought the studio for this game. Like they saw it and thought it would be a hit and bought the studio, we’re talking in the 100s of millions in losses on a game nobody will even remember this time next week.

Reactions: Jovavic

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
What’s crazy is, Sony bought the studio for this game. Like they saw it and thought it would be a hit and bought the studio, we’re talking in the 100s of millions in losses on a game nobody will even remember this time next week.
Sony have made good acquisitions for years now. They were bound to get a dud.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Safe to say the Sony live service experiment has not gone well. Just stick to the bread and butter, singleplayer games.
The worst part is, arrowhead and Sony had a hit in helldivers 2 and they ran it into the ground.

“Hey hey hey, what is this? People are having fun? Quick, nerf everything that isn’t trash and make sure at least half the stratagems are bugged. Ahhh that’s better”. Breaks my heart to remember the good times.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Helldivers is a bit of a weird case. On the surface, it looks fine. 22K players at peak hour average on steam on top of what is probably a comparable, if not bigger number on PS5 would indicate it's relatively healthy. Dropping from the 6 figure peak it was at was inevitable given how social media/streaming drives people to try the game just on hype alone.

What is a problem is how fast it shed that playerbase and perhaps even worse, is how it's almost entirely thanks to the dev team's poor decision making.

I'm very much of the mindset of you should let players go balls out in PVE unless it's something you truly didn't intend like a bug/glitch changing how the game is played. One of my favorite PVE multiplayer games was Mass Effect 3's multiplayer horde mode. There were some good builds at first, then the dev team added multiple free DLC packs. the new kits and weapons went from "good" to "comically overpowered." Instead of nerfing it, the team went "you know what? f*** it, have a new difficulty to play on and go nuts!"

Monster Hunter follows a similar philosophy to an extent. Too strong? make the monsters stronger to compensate.

Helldivers, from what i could tell tried to apply a PVP style balance philosophy. Nerfing shit that is used too much or too effective, leading to a cavernous power gap between the "meta" gear and the weapons that now have no reason to exist. This is a bad combo because a) the higher difficulties essentially forces you into using these weapons because you need heavy firepower which leads to b) everyone adopting this type of mindset turning every mission into the same thing every time. This also has the added benefit of screwing players over if said meta weapons/whatever if they're buried deep in the battle pass.

Reactions: aleshemsky83

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The number being reported now is a $200 million loss on concord. Insane. That would be like if Ragnarok or Forbidden West didn’t sell a single copy. This is probably financially at least the biggest videogame flop ever. Heads are rolling as we speak.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The number being reported now is a $200 million loss on concord. Insane. That would be like if Ragnarok or Forbidden West didn’t sell a single copy. This is probably financially at least the biggest videogame flop ever. Heads are rolling as we speak.

How the f*** do you lose $200M on this? How did it cost more than a f***ing Marvel movie to make?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It was named after a type of grape.
7d3c9cee-348f-4c9c-8337-d9124b02487b_text_hi.gif

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
My instincts tell me the bluepoint bloodborne remaster and ps5 pro will be announced alongside eachother this upcoming month.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I actually thought this was one of those fake accounts when I first saw it but it’s legit. The game will be shut down exactly two weeks from release. Wasn’t babylons fall and lawbreakers online for like a whole year? I think I spoke too soon when I said nobody will remember this game in a weeks time, they probably will, but not for the reasons I thought 😂

In all seriousness, it looks like they’re going to attempt to relaunch as a F2P game. I don’t think it will help much, but they put so much money into it they might as well try something. Tbh I’d give it a look if it was F2P.

It says that everyone’s getting a refund. I’m curious how people that bought the physical copy are going to get their refunds.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I know this is not necessarily a reliable indicator, but the general indication from journalists I’m seeing is that this may not actually be coming back as F2P, not that it would actually succeed if it did. If that’s true this really is a downfall for the ages.

I’m actually trying to envision some type of sustainable future for this game and tbh I cant. Best case scenario is some type of comeback like multiversus where is 2-5k concurrent players, but with their budget that’s not really much. I’m not a tax professional but I think they’re probably past the point of putting it in the vault for the tax Writeoff since they already released it

It’s just dead weight at this point.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Astro Bot and Concord were both shown at the same state of play.

Astro Bot is about to release to what appears to be critical acclaim since it's a game with a lot of heart and care put into it. Concord was generic slop trying to cash in on a trend that frankly already died out in terms of hero shooters. It is now slated to die the same day Astro Bot is likely to establish a new series for Sony.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Astro Bot is about to release to what appears to be critical acclaim since it's a game with a lot of heart and care put into it. Concord was generic slop trying to cash in on a trend that frankly already died out in terms of hero shooters. It is now slated to die the same day Astro Bot is likely to establish a new series for Sony.
Hopefully Sony take this is a sign of what people actually want....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad