Value of: Sonny Milano

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Sounds like a nice fit with Drai and Yamo. What would you want from the Oil for him Jackets fans?

Really? Because from CBJfan827’s description he sounds a lot like Rob Schremp. I’d rather not go down that road again. If Drai needs someone to play with, it’s a sniper.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Really? Because from CBJfan827’s description he sounds a lot like Rob Schremp. I’d rather not go down that road again. If Drai needs someone to play with, it’s a sniper.
Roof, no kidding here, Brock Nelson could be the answer. He has the shot. And most isles fans would give him away because he plays like he's a zombie on skates, no passion. But if you put him on the wing and left him there, he'd get you thirty, the Isles just saw his size and say center. Even though the one thing he does well is shoot.
Kick him in the a ss from time to time and never let him play center and you'd be very happy

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
he would constantly make cutesy, little plays that would look cool that almost always ended in a dead offensive possession or a turnover.
I’ve seen him less then you but my perdpective is that he is very creative in the offensive zone and/or PP; most players had a hard time guessing his moves. He reminded me of an unpolished Karlsson.

You guys should play him as much as you can on the PP. he also needs to be with a creative center, someone that can adapt quickly to his ideas.

That said, he does sometimes make bad plays even in the offensive zone. I don’t know if they are because of lack of confidence or lack of defensive awareness, etc.

I still think he needs to play as much as possible. Once/if he figures those things out, he would be a top line guy, IMO

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I’ve seen him less then you but my perdpective is that he is very creative in the offensive zone and/or PP; most players had a hard time guessing his moves. He reminded me of an unpolished Karlsson.

You guys should play him as much as you can on the PP. he also needs to be with a creative center, someone that can adapt quickly to his ideas.

That said, he does sometimes make bad plays even in the offensive zone. I don’t know if they are because of lack of confidence or lack of defensive awareness, etc.

I still think he needs to play as much as possible. Once/if he figures those things out, he would be a top line guy, IMO
That's the problem, Torts holds him accountable for his mistakes. Nobody gets any exceptions, if you don't play in both ends, you're not going to be playing.

On your point about him playing with a creative center, I'd like to see him on a line with Wennberg and Bjorkstrand. While that line wouldnt be very physical it would have the potential to be pretty dangerous offensively.

Wennbergs vision and pass first mentality combined with Bjorkstrands shot and Milanos' speed could be a lethal combo if Milano could gain some confidence and not look like he has a live grenade on his stick every time he gets the puck.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Roof, no kidding here, Brock Nelson could be the answer. He has the shot. And most isles fans would give him away because he plays like he's a zombie on skates, no passion. But if you put him on the wing and left him there, he'd get you thirty, the Isles just saw his size and say center. Even though the one thing he does well is shoot.
Kick him in the a ss from time to time and never let him play center and you'd be very happy

I don’t mind Nelson, he does have a helluva release, but the money wouldn’t work. He needs to be qualified at 3.5 doesn’t he? No room for that once Nurse signs (not unless we send salary back).

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t mind Nelson, he does have a helluva release, but the money wouldn’t work. He needs to be qualified at 3.5 doesn’t he? No room for that once Nurse signs (not unless we send salary back).
oh well, i tried figured it would help balance the scales a bit from Reinhart

i just hope Trotz is smart enough to not play Nelson at center, he's just not qualified. At LW he perfectly fine but , we just seem to insist on playing him at center

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Wasn't Schremp a slow player? Milano is fast. And sure did a good amount of sniping for his minutes last year.

Reactions: NORiculous

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Wasn't Schremp a slow player? Milano is fast. And sure did a good amount of sniping for his minutes last year.

I don't know that I'd say slow, but definitely not fast. The comparison I was drawing was based on the elite level puck skill but complete unwillingness to make simple plays or alter his game. Again, was going off the CBJ fan's scouting report, haven't seen much of Milano.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know that I'd say slow, but definitely not fast. The comparison I was drawing was based on the elite level puck skill but complete unwillingness to make simple plays or alter his game. Again, was going off the CBJ fan's scouting report, haven't seen much of Milano.

I think that applies to Milano - maybe not "complete unwillingness". But unlike Schremp, who I seem to remember being a liability, that is not Milano. He's already useful for what he is, and his defensive game isn't terrible. If you can give Rattie a shot, well Milano is better than that. If the Jackets don't give him enough ice time, I hope he lands in Edmonton. I don't know, but there's a decent chance he really takes off (like 60+ pts) on Drai or McDavid's wing.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
With that description I'd be interested. But we would have to dump salary in return. Lou has been loving his big heavy power forward types this summer.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
With that description I'd be interested. But we would have to dump salary in return. Lou has been loving his big heavy power forward types this summer.
we really dont want to take on salary unless it with an asset however, Im all for helping the oilers while we are retooling and i think Nelson (if used properly on the wing ) can do that. but sending him cheaply AND taking on salary to boot defeats the purpose. in that case we are better off hoping that Trotz is smart enough to deploy him properly and trading him at the deadline or keeping him long term when they finally discover they have misused him all along

the truth is Snow just was so stubborn with his belief in Nelson as a big center, was accurate that he refused to consider him as anything else and that was frankly stupid.... Nelson just doesnt have the temperment to be anything but a 3C if used at center. If used on the wing with fewer responsibilities other than putting his shot in the net. He should be fine. one would hope Trotz will haven open mind.

if not Islanders fans will go insane

the only time Nelson would Play an effective 2C was when somebody would cheap shot him. he'd get ticked off and play with an edge and go off on a run, but invariably he would calm down and stop being ticked off and go on his zombie routine again. many of us openly wished that some motorist would cut him off while driving to the Arena. the resulting road rage would help him play better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad