Rumor: Something brewing between CAR and CBJ?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
CBJ fans - is there any incentive whatsoever for you guys to add KK under ANY circumstance? I’m struggling to find reason in this. I can’t find any. I guess if they did add a Necas, which I also don’t see happening.

Feels like most Laine topics where one team is like “let me give you my trash for your productive player that I will frame as worthless”

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
CBJ fans - is there any incentive whatsoever for you guys to add KK under ANY circumstance? I’m struggling to find reason in this. I can’t find any. I guess if they did add a Necas, which I also don’t see happening.

Feels like most Laine topics where one team is like “let me give you my trash for your productive player that I will frame as worthless”
Not for me.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Can the Canes fit Laine in under the cap without sending contracts back or retention by CBJ?
No. We have somewhere between $7.5-8.5m in space left (just depending on sending 1 or 2 players down on waivers) but we need to sign RFA Jarvis and he’s basically going to take up somewhere between $6-8m depending on length of deal

Reactions: Fatass and Chrispy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Laine and Necas were to end up moving before the start of the season, there would likely be a third team in on the action. If only because to pull off a blockbuster trade, most teams need another team to eat some cap space.

I suppose it's possible that Laine starts the season in Columbus......but clearly, he needs a fresh start somewhere else, and so too do the Jackets.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I actually think KK is going to end up eventually being a pretty solid, potentially even high-end, 3C. He isn’t, at least not with any consistency, right now but really he’s the type of player I’d love to have on my third line. Just at 2.75M or something. I’d absolutely not only value, but covet KK at 3M for 6 years. If he takes a half step forward he’s a good third liner. If he finds even 50% his potential he becomes an absolute steal at 3M. Thats, what? 1.7 retained? I’d actually be all over it.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I’d rather force Laine to play in Columbus than trade for KK. It better be Necas or a top 4 d man, don’t want no more picks or prospects
You can keep that if the Canes send you Necas or a top 4 Laine would be an add on and not the prime piece.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

Well Laine has been underachieving for a few years, is fresh out of player assistance, and has a very ugly contract. So he does have little value. Certainly not in the same ballpark as Necas or Jarvis who are still getting better every year and don't have that bad contract or players assistance baggage hanging over them.
You are not going to get on ice value for Laine without a very good season under his belt.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro and Fatass

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I’m not saying Columbus should acquire Kasperi Kotkaniemi but here is a little thought.

At 50% retained, his contract is good value for a fourth line centre. If he stinks up the joint, a buyout would cost just 425k per year.

Even at his current trajectory Columbus could trade him after two seasons with 50% retention leaving him available at just above league minimum with a 200k buyout penalty. That is absolutely doable for any contender needing a fourth line centre.

I don’t want to make a trade that involves acquiring him but the idea that he is untradeable doesn’t chime with me.
Is he related to Jesperi? Brother, cousin?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00