News Article: Some of us remember: The KGM Line

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
KGM?

Some of us still remember the anguish of the Muskoka Five.

They feel so relevant now, given the country club atmosphere that seems to have returned here.

The day after the loss this year 4 of them were spotted at St. Georges having a ball (much to other members dismay). I know this is one of those things "who cares"; I just feel I wouldn't be willing to go golfing if I had just battled and lost in 7.

That's what it is now to most of these athletes, a job. If you win, terrific, if not, oh well.

Get use to mediocrity with this crew.

Reactions: thewave

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
That line was the quintessential 1B line.

They really could do it all, and were my favourite line, partly because Grabo was an entertaining lunatic, and partly because I absolutely hated Bozak as a 1C.

They really were dynamite together and I hated when MaCarthur left for Ottawa. It did leave a big hole in our roster.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I really liked McArthur. I was disappointed that he went on to play for OTT. Grabbo and Kulemin were ok.

They had great chemistry at one point. McArthur was surprisingly tough too.

1000009388.jpg

sFaLpPuLy7n.gif

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Grabovski was much like Nick Robertson, he played a game he just wasn't durable enough for. Kulemin was frustrating, when he wanted to he could be an absolute bull on the ice and own the puck as much as he wanted.

The Burke/Nonis management era was pretty painful.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The day after the loss this year 4 of them were spotted at St. Georges having a ball (much to other members dismay). I know this is one of those things "who cares"; I just feel I wouldn't be willing to go golfing if I had just battled and lost in 7.

That's what it is now to most of these athletes, a job. If you win, terrific, if not, oh well.

Or as one ex player said...if you can walk 18 holes the next morning after a game 7 , then you ain't doing it (the playoffs) right.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Sittler, McDcdonald and Thompson was a really good line back in the day. Not sure we need a thread for it though.
People are depressed we are going to be running the core 5 back again

Time to think of the glory days where we did get our ass kicked but we were usually a poorly built team that had several flaws on the roster with the KGM line showing a lot of heart

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Kessel is an all-time favourite of mine, and would have made this team a threat if he ever had a legit #1C to play with. Because that KGM line was as good as you'd ever need for a 2nd unit.

MacArthur wasn't appreciated enough here by management and it showed when he went to Ottawa and the instantly gave him an A on his jersey.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Kessel is an all-time favourite of mine, and would have made this team a threat if he ever had a legit #1C to play with. Because that KGM line was as good as you'd ever need for a 2nd unit.

MacArthur wasn't appreciated enough here by management and it showed when he went to Ottawa and the instantly gave him an A on his jersey.
MacArthur was a key depth player in that 2017 run too. The Sens were one OT goal away from the cup final.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Probably the most underrated line of the Leafs in the salary cap era.

Would have been an absolutely perfect complimentary second line if Burke had found an actual 1C to play with Kessel

well he did but kessel wanted to play with his roomie bozak, wilson called him "mr. nasty habits" and carlyle wanted him down with lupul

Kardi was that 1C ;)

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
It was a decent line on a shitty team. They had like 1 good season. I think I liked Clark the best out of the 3. Could've been Kulemin but guy had stone hands beyond that one year. Grabo; Berezin 2.0. Lot's of heart yea but an incredibly frustrating player to watch. Dude skated with the puck way too much. Sucks he'll forever be tied to ending the career of one of the leagues greatest D of an era (all time?)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
More likable than most of the current Leafs. Grabovski had more heart than anyone.

Things are dire when you look back at the Burke era Leafs with rose tinted glasses.

Things aren't that bad here then because I don't think anybody does that.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

One thing I've learned having spent some time around pro athletes over the years - they're pretty stupid, and it's a good thing they have supremely gifted skills they can cash in on, because without those skills..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad