Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I would most definitely give Ehrenreich the benefit of the doubt. IMO he looks a bit like Ford (face) and I thought he was excellent in Hail Caesar! (which is a very underrated film). Seriously, look at how talented he is. He can shoot and ride and do his own stunts:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I don't doubt the guy will do a good job. What I fear is that the connection people have with Ford as Solo is so strong that it will affect how people receive the movie. It won't be that the movie is bad or that the actor messes up, it will just be a case of "he isn't Han Solo".

Han Solo isn't like Superman or Batman. He was a movie character first, so he is heavily linked to the guy playing him. Harrison Ford IS Han Solo. Very different dynamic.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's not likely lightening will strike twice and they will come up with another Harrison Ford, though. So I'm a little skeptical of this endeavour.

When this was announced, I saw speculation that as much as Disney feels they can make from a Hans Solo film, they'll be gauging reaction to see if audiences accept this idea. If they do, then they go heavy on the Indiana Jones franchise,which they also bought the rights.

What actually makes me interested in this film is the directing team of Lord and Miller. They have a strong track record. I also like the Donald Glover casting.

The part that worries me the most is the trilogy element. That's far too excessive, especially for a prequel. It's hard to build suspense when you know the fate of all the main characters.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I mean, it's not like there are 6 movies telling the story of Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader and his eventual redemption.:sarcasm:

The only other Star Wars story I want to see is Darth Vader hunting down and slaughtering Jedi. Everything else seems boring at its face to me

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If this isn't confirmation that Disney is going to milk the cow till it's dry I'm not sure what is.

Confirmation? You realize that this is exactly what Disney said they were going to do right from the start when they bought the franchise? One Star Wars movie every year, alternating between numbered episodes and spin offs.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Man a lot of you sure are *****ing about more Star Wars movies when it wasn't so long ago it didn't look like we'd ever have a new Star Wars movie again. As long as they're good, I'm more than happy about this.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Disney really want's to milk this thing dry.

Han Solo get's three movies but we can't get one Vader movie?

I hope Vader is in this trilogy in some meaningful way.

No.

No Jedi, no Sith. Keep them for the main Episodes, Star Wars has plenty to offer outside of the Force.

Rogue One was good enough that I am hopeful for this one.

Also gotta love the people complaining about Disney milking the thing they paid ungodly amounts of money for. The horror! Just don't go see the movies that don't interest you, like with every film you don't care about.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Boba Fett is next

Awesome. My favorite character, maybe of all time, will finally have his own standalone. Yes Disney is milking Star Wars but who cares as long as the movies are good.

He's rumored to be playing Han's mentor, whatever that means.

Han had to learn how to smuggle from someone.

I hope Vader is in this trilogy in some meaningful way.

I can't see how he would be. They will more than likely end it as Han meets Luke & Obi-Wan, he and Anakin/Vader wouldn't of crossed paths before he got pulled into the Rebellion (unless they stretch it to Solo's Stormtooper days). He was spending his time running from the Empire.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Awesome. My favorite character, maybe of all time, will finally have his own standalone. Yes Disney is milking Star Wars but who cares as long as the movies are good.

Why? I mean, he's the fulcrum to a single plot point in a movie and then gets killed in a pratfall. What makes him great? Im honestly curious.

Also, there is nothing confirmed about a Boba Fett movie. I personally don't see it happening, but I could be wrong. More likely we will see an Obi Wan movie, at least first, since Ewan McGregor seems to want to do one.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What made Boba Fett great was the mystery, besides that he died in an incredibly lame way. The prequels ruined that mystery and I no longer consider him interesting.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You would think that they could at least make one and see how it goes before committing to a whole trilogy. Of course, it's going to make money, regardless, but reception could be underwhelming (especially because "he's not Han Solo") and the profits from the next two lower. It may end up not really being worth it to burn out audience enthusiasm.

Also, I can't get over Woody Harrelson. He's one of the last actors that I'd expect to be involved with Star Wars. He may be perfectly cast, especially if he's a no-good smuggler, but it's just that "Woody Harrelson" and "Star Wars" don't go together in my head. It aso doesn't help that he's not in character dress in the photo and even looks like he stumbled onto the set and photobombed the cast photo, as someone joked... haha.

I was really hoping for a trilogy explaining how Jabba acquired that rancor and the friendship between it and his trainer.

We need a trilogy explaining what happened to Jabba between Star Wars: Special Edition and Return of the Jedi. He must've gone through some awfully hard times ("and a lot of pizzas") to transform from svelte and mobile to morbidly obese and bed-ridden.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Just because the actors reportedly signed for 3 films doesn't necessarily mean there are going to be 3 films. I would imagine if the first one bombs they aren't going to bother with two more.

Also, can we please stop with this "Disney is going to milk the cash cow dry" stuff? Of course they want to make money off of Star Wars. Do people think they're just a bunch of fanboys who bought it because they love Star Wars?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What was mysterious about him?

He didn't say very much but what he did say was ominous and raspy? "No distintegrations?" "As you wish?"

His armor obscured his face?

He the only bounty hunter canny enough to anticipate the "floating away with the garbage" trick?

His ship, the Slave I, was kind of bizarre and flew in a novel way?

It's not that hard to figure out.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What made Boba Fett great was the mystery, besides that he died in an incredibly lame way. The prequels ruined that mystery and I no longer consider him interesting.

While this is true, Han Solo and Boba Feet movies offer the chance to see more of the seedy side of the star wars galaxy.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
What was mysterious about him?

Nothing, he was just a guy in cool looking armor and had an interesting spaceship.

The Boba Fett hype is really ridiculous considering how he was taken out.:laugh:

I'm not sure if I get the point of this Han Solo movie. The dude is suppose to be some loser smuggler until he runs into Luke and Obi-Wan right? Also, this actor is going to have a tough time just trying to meet the Harrison Ford standard.

But hey, prove me wrong Disney.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Just because the actors reportedly signed for 3 films doesn't necessarily mean there are going to be 3 films. I would imagine if the first one bombs they aren't going to bother with two more.

The first one won't "bomb" simply because it's Star Wars. If they're signed for three films, Disney is going to make three films. I can't think of any examples of where films weren't made when the actors were actually signed. Maybe it happens, but it's rare.

I'm not sure if I get the point of this Han Solo movie. The dude is suppose to be some loser smuggler until he runs into Luke and Obi-Wan right? Also, this actor is going to have a tough time just trying to meet the Harrison Ford standard.

"Some loser smuggler"? He made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. 12 parsecs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad