Social Media Septic Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I'm always chuckling that the nostalgia people (re: old heads) continuously clamor for a Quebec team that already didn't work because of money. What exactly has changed? Nordiques fans are literally a dying breed, the Canadian dollar is bad, and that housing bubble is going to pop eventually and make it worse. What's next, an NHL team in Japan?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I don't want more expansion because the overall talent pool will get watered down even more. Plus there is an even amount in each division right now, 2 more teams and they'll just think "well we need another 2 to balance things out".

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm always chuckling that the nostalgia people (re: old heads) continuously clamor for a Quebec team that already didn't work because of money. What exactly has changed? Nordiques fans are literally a dying breed, the Canadian dollar is bad, and that housing bubble is going to pop eventually and make it worse. What's next, an NHL team in Japan?
I would love to have a cogent argument to counter your post, detailing the deliberate mismanagement and profiteering that led to the Nordiques' departure to Colorado as the NHL's version of the Expos. But you are right that the financial deck is stacked against Canadian teams.

Your one incorrect point is that the dying off of Nordiques fans represents a major obstacle. The sole advantage of Canadian teams is that our population loves the sport in addition to the local teams. So it wouldn't require a fanbase with a direct link to the Nordiques' of old to garner considerable interest.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would love to have a cogent argument to counter your post, detailing the deliberate mismanagement and profiteering that led to the Nordiques' departure to Colorado as the NHL's version of the Expos. But you are right that the financial deck is stacked against Canadian teams.

Your one incorrect point is that the dying off of Nordiques fans represents a major obstacle. The sole advantage of Canadian teams is that our population loves the sport in addition to the local teams. So it wouldn't require a fanbase with a direct link to the Nordiques' of old to garner considerable interest.

Would the Canadiens ownership even want another Quebec team back? I’m not saying it’s massive but I’d imagine in the decades since the Nordiques left that’s probably redirected more fans to them.

I could be wrong on details as I’m going off my head. But wasn’t Hamilton, Ontario somewhat kicked around within the last decade (perhaps around the time the league ultimately moved Atlanta to Winnipeg)? I’m not saying the talks every seriously got off the grounds but wasn’t Toronto telling the league they don’t want that?

Reactions: BernieParent

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Would the Canadiens ownership even want another Quebec team back? I’m not saying it’s massive but I’d imagine in the decades since the Nordiques left that’s probably redirected more fans to them.

I could be wrong on details as I’m going off my head. But wasn’t Hamilton, Ontario somewhat kicked around within the last decade (perhaps around the time the league ultimately moved Atlanta to Winnipeg)? I’m not saying the talks every seriously got off the grounds but wasn’t Toronto telling the league they don’t want that?

Balsillie wanted to buy the Preds and bring them to Hamilton and the Leafs weren't impressed.

In terms of Quebec fans becoming Canadiens fans, that's like assuming if the Flyers folded that we would all becomes Rangers fans. Even a few decades later, the enmity runs deep.

SuzieQ88

May 25, 2023
Norristown, PA
www.twitch.tv
Jamey is this guy.

its-still.gif
Actually, he is a pretty decent guy. He does good reporting and has a nice staff that put out good Flyer stuff. Cut the guy a break will ya.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I get why Canadians may get upset but it’s simple economics why the league shifts to the US even if it’s a niche product here. More major city markets & ultimately the American dollar is worth more.

Plus I’m not even sure if Toronto wants another team in their territory/area. Possibly even same with Montreal.

They get an owner and a plan, they’ll get a team. They’ve never had either. They do have the building.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad