Other Sports: Soccer/Football Thread Part Six

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nerfed the 5 back.

f***ing Juve.
Doesn’t help when you go to a 5 back at the expense of your two best performing players with 40 minutes left and one of the guys you sub on is without question the worst on the team… who you then place out of his normal position to cover Vini…

imagine my shock when he directly caused a goal against

Reactions: FLYguy3911

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Timber makes this team so much better. Surprised how well our press is working though. Liverpool haven’t beaten it once when all our guys are in position.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I fwlt we played Liverpool reasonably well last week as well ( despite the loss, obviously). They're playing decent, but they aren't the juggernaut the media was making them out to be, for sure.
I think we win that if Gabriel and Timber don’t get injured. Fine with a draw given the circumstances.

Reactions: Starat327

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think we win that if Gabriel and Timber don’t get injured. Fine with a draw given the circumstances.
You arent wrong, Arsenal should have won but compared to how much Arsenal dominated this match at the Emirates in February I'll take the draw. Granted Mo was out that match though still, it was a beating.

Reactions: BigToe

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
You can tell United is still a terribly run club even with new ownership. He should have been sacked 5 months ago at least.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
You can tell United is still a terribly run club even with new ownership. He should have been sacked 5 months ago at least.

I’m not so sure about that. I mean, yes, he probably should have been gone already but I wouldn’t jump to conclusions about United. I don’t know exactly who is in charge of what at this point but Dave Brailsford is one of the most highly regarded figures in sports. Even Sirianni is a fan: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4584899/2024/02/26/dave-brailsford-man-utd/

I don’t know if Maxey got his “one percent better every day” but that is literally Brailsford’s thing. If I was a United fan I’d be optimistic about the future, but it’s going to take time. They are going to have to rebuild that thing from the ground up. I can actually understand why Ratliff may have wanted to stick with ETH as long as possible since there is so much work to do and why throw a new coach to the lions prematurely. Ruud is probably the best possible choice for now, club legend and exectations will be low.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I’m not so sure about that. I mean, yes, he probably should have been gone already but I wouldn’t jump to conclusions about United. I don’t know exactly who is in charge of what at this point but Dave Brailsford is one of the most highly regarded figures in sports. Even Sirianni is a fan: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4584899/2024/02/26/dave-brailsford-man-utd/

I don’t know if Maxey got his “one percent better every day” but that is literally Brailsford’s thing. If I was a United fan I’d be optimistic about the future, but it’s going to take time. They are going to have to rebuild that thing from the ground up. I can actually understand why Ratliff may have wanted to stick with ETH as long as possible since there is so much work to do and why throw a new coach to the lions prematurely. Ruud is probably the best possible choice for now, club legend and exectations will be low.
Their new ownership took over last December I believe. The same scenario happened with LvG where he finished below 4th but won the FA cup but was still sacked, same thing really should have happened with ETH. I also went through this with Rodgers in 2015, he should have been sacked after 6-1 at Stoke but they waited til October. Luckilu they got Klopp. Now United have basically wasted this season due to the delay. Whomever they hire full-time will tell alot of what their ownership is. I mean there was alot of links to Southgate in the summer.

The fact of the matter us United has basically been under constant rebuilding for the past 11 years since Ferguson retired. Only time will tell but tell but they really need to get this next appointment correct, cause they really haven't once in over a decade.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Their new ownership took over last December I believe. The same scenario happened with LvG where he finished below 4th but won the FA cup but was still sacked, same thing really should have happened with ETH. Now they have basically wasted this season due to the delay. Whomever they hire full-time will tell alot of what their ownership is. I mean there was alot of links to Southgate in the summer.

The fact of the matter us United has basically been under constant rebuilding for the past 11 years since Ferguson retired. Only time will tell but tell but they really need to get this next appointment correct, cause they really haven't once in over a decade.
Sure, they need to get the next manager right but I think there may be more pressing things. If you read that article you can see how Brailsford pays attention to every minute thing that contributes to the success of a team or individual. Given the amount of rot that has likely set in at United that’s a huge job. I don’t think ETH is as bad a coach as his time at United would suggest, but I don’t think anyone would have succeeded under the present conditions.

Reactions: Halladay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad