Other Sports: Soccer/Football Thread Part Six

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
also need to get Lalas and Dempsey off the broadcast
You spelled “planet” wrong.

What's worse, the broadcast or the ref?
Well, since I don’t really understand what the Spanish broadcasters are saying I don’t know exactly what the ref is doing. But the broadcasters are fun to listen to so I guess I’d vote for the ref.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
US should have never been in the position where that game was a must win. Just highlights how far the program really has to go.
Calling this a "Golden Generation" is one of the most absurd examples of marketing imaginable. There's a huge difference between producing a few players good enough to play for clubs in Europe and actually having a national team that can seriously compete at the top level.

And while we do have some quality players I don't see a Jude Bellingham or a Florian Wirtz on this team.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Calling this a "Golden Generation" is one of the most absurd examples of marketing imaginable. There's a huge difference between producing a few players good enough to play for clubs in Europe and actually having a national team that can seriously compete at the top level.

And while we do have some quality players I don't see a Jude Bellingham or a Florian Wirtz on this team.

Exactly. Getting a few players into Europe is a good start, but who over there is an impact player for their teams, regularly?

Pulisic, sure.
The rest are all lower tier clubs and not exactly difference makers on a regular, consistent basis.

This program is miles away from being consistently relevant but puts itself on a pedestal like it would compete heavily for major national tournaments.

The beauty of the game is that any team can beat any team, generally speaking. But the last WC is looking more and more like the exception and not the rule.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad