Other Sports: Soccer/Football Thread Part Six

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
So is Wirtz the consensus “best German player on the planet” or what? The guy is amazing
He probably is. Hard to make an argument against a player who's probably the best player on a team that never loses.
It really is impressive how he came back from his ACL injury. Not only has it seemingly not effected him, he's got even better.

He and Musiala are the future, for sure.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I'm taking Musiala over Wirtz
Game on Toe

If disregarding position?

I think both are below Kimmich right now. But they will both pass him.

But Kimmich is amongst the best 5 RBs in the world... while also being amongst the best 5 DMs.
Kimmich was the name that came to mind. Total class... kinda like Busquetes ... silent but brilliant

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
His new card is amazing
What a picture too. :laugh:

1714785965732.png

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He’s great but honestly Hummels has been even better this year.

His legs are pretty cooked as far as pure speed goes but he still has everything else. Especially in the Champions league this year… MVP so far, without question

Yeah, hummels is maybe better form, but if we're talking about who you want moving forward. It's Schlotter for sure.

Reactions: Striiker

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If disregarding position?

I think both are below Kimmich right now. But they will both pass him.

But Kimmich is amongst the best 5 RBs in the world... while also being amongst the best 5 DMs.
Kimmich is highly overrated. He's not the midfield general he thinks he is, he doesn't mesh well with Gundogan, and as soon as his midfield partner (Goretzka) is out of form all of his weaknesses are exposed.

He's a good RB, but unfortunately he thinks playing there is beneath him. Luckily Nagelsmann gave him the choice to either play RB or to not play at all.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Kimmich is highly overrated. He's not the midfield general he thinks he is, he doesn't mesh well with Gundogan, and as soon as his midfield partner (Goretzka) is out of form all of his weaknesses are exposed.

He's a good RB, but unfortunately he thinks playing there is beneath him. Luckily Nagelsmann gave him the choice to either play RB or to not play at all.

I mean, he has created more chances than any other player who plays the pivot role pretty much in Europe when with Bayern this year! And this season I think he has not been as good as over the last ~3 years, it has been a bit of a "down" year. But he is still one of the best playmaking pivots on earth... and it is his 2nd best position.

Bayern do rely on him too much in that role though. Yeh, he plays the ball incredibly well, but not every pass has to come through him.

But it is pretty incredible in this day and age to be able to play two quite different positions at a world class level. And he does.

Has he been the best German player this season? No. But the resume he has built over the last ~5 seasons? I think gives him a bit of leeway.

So few players on earth link up play like he does. Unreal stats in terms of progressing the ball, chance creation given his general average position on the pitch etc.

Reactions: Starat327

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I mean, he has created more chances than any other player who plays the pivot role pretty much in Europe when with Bayern this year! And this season I think he has not been as good as over the last ~3 years, it has been a bit of a "down" year. But he is still one of the best playmaking pivots on earth... and it is his 2nd best position.

Bayern do rely on him too much in that role though. Yeh, he plays the ball incredibly well, but not every pass has to come through him.

But it is pretty incredible in this day and age to be able to play two quite different positions at a world class level. And he does.

Has he been the best German player this season? No. But the resume he has built over the last ~5 seasons? I think gives him a bit of leeway.

So few players on earth link up play like he does. Unreal stats in terms of progressing the ball, chance creation given his general average position on the pitch etc.
He's played for a team though that's been dominating the league for over a decade. It's easy to create chances when you have most of the possession every game. Whenever he's faced real competition (Champions League, World Cup) he's been mostly poor.
He's not a DM, imo. He needs a real DM next to him if he wants to be a midfielder. Kimmich as single pivot has been so underwhelming that Toni Kroos had to be reactivated for the Euros.

He can be a great RB. I'll give you that. He could've been one of the best in the world in that position. But he doesn't even want to play there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad