So who will back up Woll?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Leafs need to shoot HIGH in their search for a goalie.
The only times the team has had somewhat recent playoff success is with CuJo and Potvin both at the time able to outperform the netminder at the other end.

Suros or bust for me. Need a top 8 goalie.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It'll be Brossoit with Martin Jones as the 3rd guy.
3rd guy will be tricky as other clubs will snake them once they are waived to demote. It seems like you need to have a guy that is potentially worthless or is overpaid. Jones wasn't great by year end but I think he showed enough another club may keep him on an NHL roster.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The only times the team has had somewhat recent playoff success is with CuJo and Potvin both at the time able to outperform the netminder at the other end.

No goalie will have 1 GAA or less. It doesn’t matter who the goalie is, the highly paid forwards upfront have to score more goals in the playoffs. I agree on Saros, I’d love to have him. But he is not a saviour.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Why a throw away year?
I strongly disagree.

What has changed in your opinion from last year to this?
If our goaltenders have a save % that starts with a .9 we will be cruising.

Samsonov was 23-7 with a garbage .890
Well…

We have holes at:
2C
2D
4D
5D
1LW
1G backup

Too many fans go to CapFriendly and just plug in 4-5 amazing value FA contracts and supplement our roster with 8 easy trades and say see - just that easy.

Truth is…, it’s not. It’s a grind.

We have the JT contract and MM situation bunging things up. I can’t confidently we can/will be able fix all of the above this off season.

So, again - I would punt the goaltending for this year. See what we have in Woll to see if he is a 1A. I would address D and C with FA dollars/trades. I revisit after MM and JT $ are available.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If there isn't a goalie available then what can you do but run a tandem and believe in Woll? People on this forum saying today to trade the farm for some guy who turns out to be no better than what we have had will be crying next offseason about how bad Brad is.

Save the cap space and assets and get your guy when they are available.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Maybe Woll is just what they need. If they were in a different spot and all they needed was a goalie, sure, but under the current situation they have time to give him a chance and fill more pressing needs.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Isn't it funny but we are already in potential trouble. Tre was willing to put it on Markstrom and NJ got him. Now he will sign a 35 year old Tanev? It's not easy to fix Toronto with what we have. We need Zadorov and Pesche just to win a round.We go 1a 1b for now. Have to.

Probably Broissoit
Most likely 1a 1b deflects the issue. Whoever is hot or not injured.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I would rather the team try to move Woll, but seeing as that is unlikely, so I suppose someone like Chris Driedger who looks to be finding his form again would be alright.

I oddly wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Reims in the Jones role either. Never thought I would be okay with that a couple of years ago. Sadly, I no longer have the same hope I once had for this team.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I'd love to get a hometown vet like Talbot in. Showed he can still take a starters workload last year like he did in LA (54 games last season), and would likely come cheap on a 2 year deal. Gives Woll a veteran to lean on, and a legit starter option if Woll falters or gets hurt.

Reactions: Kiwi and Magic Man

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
How tf are we actually going to go into next season with worse goaltending than last year?! DO SOMETHING

Can people stop freaking out like children about everything? It’s exhausting.

Patience. Free agency opens tomorrow - we probably sign a goaltender.

And if we don’t then we will trade for one before the season starts. The goaltending will be dealt with

Reactions: bax and DeadEye

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Can people stop freaking out like children about everything? It’s exhausting.

Patience. Free agency opens tomorrow - we probably sign a goaltender.

And if we don’t then we will trade for one before the season starts. The goaltending will be dealt with
This should be a sticky at the top of every page of every thread lol

Reactions: Sypher04

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Personally I'd prefer Talbot, he had good numbers last season and he played over 50 games which is a starters workload

If Woll gets injured that's the type of backup/tandem we need imo

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad