So when are people gonna start talking about Zach Hyman?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Woah, good hockey player and Josh Anderson have not been words that should be used together in over 3 years.
Anderson is a heavy body who skates well and forechecks hard. Plus, he scores now and then. Imo Hyman is on that path. It’s an age thing for Hyman. He’s still got legs but his hands are going. Happens to every play as the get older. Some sooner than others.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Hyman has outperformed the contract and will be 35/36 at the end of it. Don't think Toronto fans should be commenting on a contract in which the Oilers shredded the Leafs on. Hymans contract has been one of the best signings of all time factoring in his impact to the team. Whether he scores 30 in his last year or not Makes no difference at this point.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Talking about Hyman like anyone ever expected 50+ goals out of him, or that it was going to be a reasonable expectation going forward after he actually did it seems pretty pointless to me. That's not what they got him for or what he's paid for, he's got a $5.5m caphit.

I also don't buy his shooting percentage dropped 13.5% from his career average because he suddenly got old and completely lost his hands. Sure, he's not getting any younger and with players at his age you never know if they have 1 or 10 more good seasons of hockey left in them, but at 32 I wouldn't expect him to drop off a cliff just quite yet.

Btw. I think hands are actually usually one of the last things to go. I don't remember a player who clearly first lost his hands before his skating etc. went seriously downhill. Not saying those don't exists, but my impression is it's usually the other way around.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Talking about Hyman like anyone ever expected 50+ goals out of him, or that it was going to be a reasonable expectation going forward after he actually did it seems pretty pointless to me. That's not what they got him for or what he's paid for, he's got a $5.5m caphit.

I also don't buy his shooting percentage dropped 13.5% from his career average because he suddenly got old and completely lost his hands. Sure, he's not getting any younger and with players at his age you never know if they have 1 or 10 more good seasons of hockey left in them, but at 32 I wouldn't expect him to drop off a cliff just quite yet.

Btw. I think hands are actually usually one of the last things to go. I don't remember a player who clearly first lost his hands before his skating etc. went seriously downhill. Not saying those don't exists, but my impression is it's usually the other way around.
I’m not sure why anyone thinks he ever had “hands”

He is super fast, gets to goal scoring areas and scores.

I don’t have a single memory of him stick handling through defenders.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Anderson is a heavy body who skates well and forechecks hard. Plus, he scores now and then. Imo Hyman is on that path. It’s an age thing for Hyman. He’s still got legs but his hands are going. Happens to every play as the get older. Some sooner than others.

Anderson does not play nearly as physical as he should. Hyman actually forechecks and cycles, all Anderson can do is skate fast down the wings and shoot at the goalie right at the chest.

I'm sorry but that comparison is not valid, simply because even if Hyman were to lose his hands - his effort and compete makes him somewhat valuable. Anderson actually statistically kills offence as he has some of the worst vision and awareness on the ice, is incapable of passing and has this reputation as being able to score but can barely score 20.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Anderson does not play nearly as physical as he should. Hyman actually forechecks and cycles, all Anderson can do is skate fast down the wings and shoot at the goalie right at the chest.

I'm sorry but that comparison is not valid, simply because even if Hyman were to lose his hands - his effort and compete makes him somewhat valuable. Anderson actually statistically kills offence as he has some of the worst vision and awareness on the ice, is incapable of passing and has this reputation as being able to score but can barely score 20.
Anderson doesn’t play as physical as he once did. And Hyman will follow the same path. It’s an age related decline in how guys are able to play that all players experience. That doesn’t mean the player still can’t help their club. They just help in different ways and at different levels than when younger.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad