So we all rip apart the Lucic contract. Why does Okposo not get the same treatment?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Okposo suffered many debilitating concussions since signing with the Sabres. Horrible injuries. Suicidal, etc. He was a very good hockey player before those. Lucic??? He was just bad and getting worse on his last year with the Bruins. Apples and oranges.

What lol Looch was consistently putting up 50 - 60 points up till his 2nd year with Oilers while being the most feared power forward since Linnros. Even if you hate the guy that’s atleast average not bad.

He definitely changed after his dad died with the Kong’s though.

Reactions: The Nuge

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What lol Looch was consistently putting up 50 - 60 points up till his 2nd year with Oilers while being the most feared power forward since Linnros. Even if you hate the guy that’s atleast average not bad.

He definitely changed after his dad died with the Kong’s though.
His dad passing definitely affected his play, also doesn't help the NHL continues to get faster and faster.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Alot of people predicted that Lucic would be one of those players that would fall off a cliff once he hit 30. The game getting faster, He was never that good of a skater, The wear and tear on his body due to the way he plays. And he doesn't have that Hockey IQ that could help him once his physical skills start to diminish.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't think it's ripped apart more than the other spectacular disasters from that summer, but it seems that way because it's talked about more. That's just because there is a really large number of Oilers fans in this community.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Okposo's experience was really horrific. The article below addresses a lot of it (unfortunately it's locked behind the Athletic pay-wall

Back from the abyss: Kyle Okposo opens up about the darkest...

Just a brief example of the sort of stuff he went through.

His contract is an albatross and I'm not sure I know any fan who's happy with his production, but beyond the medical stuff, he's also carries himself like a pro and just generally comes across as a quality individual, which I think contrasts with how most fans view Lucic.
I get it, but just because it was public, it was more horrific than what a billion other players went through and kept private? Lindros, Savard, Lafontaine, Kariya, hell even Crosby.

I believe it all was terrible, but the guy barely missed an hockey for it and is still playing near full seasons. I think its a bit exaggerated to give him a free pass for these issues that apparently didnt affect his ability to get on the ice. Go on LTIR if that is the case then.

Reactions: Hatrix

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Ripping on Edmonton is seen as cool around here. Same with Toronto, so any flaws that team has will be greatly overblown

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Anyone have the patience to go back and look up threads about Lucic and Okposo in year one of these contracts.

Lucic put up 50 playing 50% of his time with RNH or McDavid.

Okposo put up 45 playing almost exclusively with ROR. Sure, a disappointment from 40% of his time with from Tavares in the final NYI season, but an obvious downgrade too there.

I cant imagine fans werent happy at the time using both of these players as hope for the future.

Sure in hindsight, we can say they were obviously bad contracts, but I'd love to see the proof in more than just the signing thread from UFA day.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I still remember Okposo getting blown up in a pre-season game against the Flames by Phaneuf. Unfortunately he's had difficulties staying healthy over his career.

I think the short answers are that 1) the Lucic contract still is worse, and 2) Lucic is disliked by far more people across the league.

Doesn't help he plays for a team that's already the butt of a lot of jokes around here. Adds fuel to the fire.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I get it, but just because it was public, it was more horrific than what a billion other players went through and kept private? Lindros, Savard, Lafontaine, Kariya, hell even Crosby.

I believe it all was terrible, but the guy barely missed an hockey for it and is still playing near full seasons. I think its a bit exaggerated to give him a free pass for these issues that apparently didnt affect his ability to get on the ice. Go on LTIR if that is the case then.

5 < 1,000,000,000,000

As someone who has suffered what these guys are going through my entire adult life, [MOD]

There are days that I don't want to go to work, hell, even get out of bed. But you do, because, you know, you've got bills to pay.

People like you, and you're little "like" buddy Hatrix, have no idea what life is like when you get your brain scrambled.......and I hope you never do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Noone cares about Buffalo

Both are jokes of the league, Edmonton is just in a Canadian city

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
5 < 1,000,000,000,000

As someone who has suffered what these guys are going through my entire adult life, I'd say you're coming off like a complete ass hat.

There are days that I don't want to go to work, hell, even get out of bed. But you do, because, you know, you've got bills to pay.

People like you, and you're little "like" buddy Hatrix, have no idea what life is like when you get your brain scrambled.......and I hope you never do.

I gave 5 examples only. Obviously there are a ton more. So then its on the Sabres for playing him when they shouldn't? He'd get paid either way so its no different to him money wise. If we're saying he has life threatening head injuries, GTFO the ice!

I get it, concussions are awful, but then WHY IS HE PLAYING!? Sounds more like an excuse for crap play to me. Sorry that is insensitive, but its the truth. Get your head figured out then.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I still remember Okposo getting blown up in a pre-season game against the Flames by Phaneuf. Unfortunately he's had difficulties staying healthy over his career.

I think the short answers are that 1) the Lucic contract still is worse, and 2) Lucic is disliked by far more people across the league.

Doesn't help he plays for a team that's already the butt of a lot of jokes around here. Adds fuel to the fire.

How is the contract specifically worse though? Its nearly identical at this point. The full NMC and M-NTC is the only difference.

And the health thing over his career I guess is true, but not extreme. Since the lockout year, hes played 71 60 79 65 76 78. That is hardly injury riddled.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I gave 5 examples only. Obviously there are a ton more. So then its on the Sabres for playing him when they shouldn't? He'd get paid either way so its no different to him money wise. If we're saying he has life threatening head injuries, GTFO the ice!

I get it, concussions are awful, but then WHY IS HE PLAYING!? Sounds more like an excuse for crap play to me. Sorry that is insensitive, but its the truth. Get your head figured out then.

Professional athletes are competitive by nature. They want to be playing to help their teammates. Almost nobody wants to just sit there and collect a paycheque and not play.

In fairness, I never liked the contract in the first place. I always thought Okposo was just a product of Tavares.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad