Series Talk: So this series after 4 games is exactly like last year with the top-seeded team going home with a 3-1 lead............

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

giphy.gif

Monday, May 13 (Jet Aviation, Bedford, MA)

General Manager Don Sweeney and forward Pat Maroon available to media at approximately 12:20 p.m. at Jet Aviation/Hanscom Field (380 Hanscom Dr, Bedford, MA 01730)

Media should plan to arrive no earlier than 12 p.m.

Travel to Florida​

I don't know what to make of the fact that Sweeney and not Monty will address the media before heading south.

Could we see George Parros reverse course and suspend Sam Bennett citing new evidence? Unlikely BUT Parros never said no discipline either.

Does the NHL want Florida to advance? The answer is probably because even though they made the SCF last year it was IGNORED in the South Florida market because the NBA Heat also made the NBA Finals.

The Bruins have now lost FIVE consecutive home playoff games to Florida and that has never happened in the 100 years the franchise has existed. Even the great Montreal dynasty teams never did that as the Bruins would win the occasional match in Boston.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Let me preface my comments with two things. One, I think Florida is ultimately better than Boston. Two, I do not think Boston should be leading this series, but it *could* be all even,

Growing up, I was a huge boxing fan. I watched everything I could back then, which wasn't as much as I liked because there was no cable back then. I used to box in my spare time, and just loved it. Over the years though, I grew tired of the judging. I would watch a bout and then have three judges tell me what really happened, didn't. Like I was watching in an alternate universe. No longer being able to trust what I saw, I moved on.

I feel the same thing happening with hockey. These past 48 hours have been tough to stomach. Again, game three the Bruins probably weren't coming back 3-0, but the Lauko penalty is 100% of the time called a hold. The Bennett thing was what it was during the game, I didn't notice it. However, after the NHL telling both teams the game would be officiated under close scrutiny then having the league see it and say it was fine, was again insulting the little intelligence I have left.

1715593653246.png

Then last night. The rule is black and white. It doesn't say the play has to result in penalty. It doesn't say it has to be a hard push. It clearly says that if pushed into the goalie, the goal is disallowed. Yet again, I was told that's not what happened. Honestly I didn't feel good about the third regardless and could feel it slipping away before hand, but fans are being taken for idiots. All fans.

There is no conspiracy. There is no out to get the Bruins, there is just gross negligence and rec league caliber refereeing and control room people being employed by the league. I see it in Rangers, Devils and Islanders games as well. I would bet down the road in these play-offs there will be a call so egregious it may cost a team a championship.

Anyways end of rant, I'm tired and cranky, and hope y'all have a good day.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Let me preface my comments with two things. One, I think Florida is ultimately better than Boston. Two, I do not think Boston should be leading this series, but it *could* be all even,

Growing up, I was a huge boxing fan. I watched everything I could back then, which wasn't as much as I liked because there was no cable back then. I used to box in my spare time, and just loved it. Over the years though, I grew tired of the judging. I would watch a bout and then have three judges tell me what really happened, didn't. Like I was watching in an alternate universe. No longer being able to trust what I saw, I moved on.

I feel the same thing happening with hockey. These past 48 hours have been tough to stomach. Again, game three the Bruins probably weren't coming back 3-0, but the Lauko penalty is 100% of the time called a hold. The Bennett thing was what it was during the game, I didn't notice it. However, after the NHL telling both teams the game would be officiated under close scrutiny then having the league see it and say it was fine, was again insulting the little intelligence I have left.

View attachment 869758

Then last night. The rule is black and white. It doesn't say the play has to result in penalty. It doesn't say it has to be a hard push. It clearly says that if pushed into the goalie, the goal is disallowed. Yet again, I was told that's not what happened. Honestly I didn't feel good about the third regardless and could feel it slipping away before hand, but fans are being taken for idiots. All fans.

There is no conspiracy. There is no out to get the Bruins, there is just gross negligence and rec league caliber refereeing and control room people being employed by the league. I see it in Rangers, Devils and Islanders games as well. I would bet down the road in these play-offs there will be a call so egregious it may cost a team a championship.

Anyways end of rant, I'm tired and cranky, and hope y'all have a good day.
@LouJersey Your analogy concerning boxing struck a nerve with me. 2 promoters, Bob Arum and Don King destroyed the sport.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Is anyone optimistic we can rally ?

In all honesty, no. I won't say it's impossible, but I have no belief that it can happen. Florida are not the greatest team in the world but they're strong and they're incredibly good at this playoffs business, the Bruins look gassed and can't sustain any push for long and as a result are getting consistently outshot and outworked, their stars just haven't done enough, and I don't expect the officials to suddenly start dolling out favors to them.

If they play a great game in Florida and get a little luck, just maybe they can snatch one back. More than that I can't see - it's well-established by now that a potential G6 back in Boston confers no advantage. I'll watch and cheer all the same, but in my head this one is done.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I’m a pretty optimistic person but I don’t see it, especially with Marchand still out

That said, most of the team hasn’t played up to their abilities and swayman has yet to steal a game. But they’ll need to have a major strategy change from coaching to figure out a way around Florida’s disruption of their offense

Reactions: Gordoff

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Florida took care of business and put Tampa away in 5.

B’s dinked around and let it go 7 against Toronto.

Extra mileage on the skaters and on the goalie.
Thus, they made an already incredibly difficult matchup in Round 2 that much more challenging.

We’ve seen them play a very similar game multiple times this playoff run; even if it doesn’t lead to them playing from behind.

Can they bounce back?
Maybe if they were playing against the Boston Bruins.

I don’t see Florida letting this get back to Boston for a Game 6, but I’ve been wrong before.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
We have the goalies to win Game 5 and then?

We’ve always have had the goalies it’s the surrounding cast. Unfortunately it’s just not deep enough and not built for playoff hockey. Too many players who aren’t pulling on the rope and don’t have the mind set to run an opposing player through the wall when needed, they’re just not wired that way. On top of that they’re not nearly as talented as the Panthers.The panthers front office has topped the Bruins by building a superior team. Add to that the terrible officiating and the kangaroo court held by the league, has helped make an improbable series victory even less likely.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I suspect this will be the last game I watch this season, sure I will pop in from time to time to watch parts of the remaining series but I am seriously turned off of this sport after watching the last 2 Bruins games. When you question the integrity of the game you have to ask yourself if it's worth investing your time and emotions in such a poorly run sport.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I think the toughest part is not only do the bruins not have the horses and lost marchand on top of it, they're getting royally jobbed by the refs each night. They can't overcome both. Last night might have ended in OT same score for the panther's but that 2nd goal should have never happened the way it did and you could tell it mentally frustrated the Bruins and they lost focus. They're fighting too steep of a climb at this point.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
"Exactly like last year" is generous. We are getting out shot by 2x. Like, we are getting dominated folks. We aren't winning. Just look at our lineup. We can't wrap our heads around Florida sending 2 guys on the forcheck and another for support. We send 1 with no support. They are playing with anticipation, we are on our heels and puck chasing. We aren't close to them.
Our best bet is to play as dirty as possible so the Rangers can play a beat up team.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Watching the Bruins self implode again against the Panthers like

bh187-family-guy.gif

As much as bad calls by the ref have had a hand in this team's struggles the past two years, so has roster construction and team philosophy. The good news is that Sweeney, as much as he deserves to get knocked for screwing things up in the first place, seems to finally be onto something with some of the pieces he's brought in. The bad news? I don't think Montgomery is the coach to get the most out of this team. I think with him at the helm, the Bruins have hit their ceiling. I don't want Montgomery to be made a scapegoat and have Sweeney and Neely, ESPECIALLY NEELY, not face getting the axe as well. At the same time, I still weirdly trust Sweeney to dig himself out of this hole?

TL;DR - This sucks and I'm torn on what the Bruins should do next.

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
@LouJersey Your analogy concerning boxing struck a nerve with me. 2 promoters, Bob Arum and Don King destroyed the sport.
I remember back in the 90s , I asked my uncle, Bert Sugar (RIP), about the state of boxing and particularly Don King. He went on a tirade about how corrupt Don King was.

Ending it with this classic line: "Don King is taking money under the table, over the table, around the table — and he even took the table!"

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
2019 was nearly the final nail in the coffin. There is no debate the NHL forced a game 7, which the Bruins lost themselves in spectacular fashion.

This series is already right there. Wild because Florida likely wins this series in 5 or 6 regardless based on talent and play alone...but the faltering NHL doesn't even both hiding the script in this one.

This year is likely my last of committing to 82 games, which is a shame. I will tune in more than casual fans and cheer for the Bruins but what a sickening product it has become.

Can only pray the Panthers run into the same wall as last postseason where the NHL finally pulls back the enablement in the Finals and they are ruined yet again.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Bruins could have finished off Toronto in 5, but they let it drag on for 7.

The Bruins had the chance to win game 3 in the 3rd period and win game 4. They are fatigued, and unfortunately, I don't think they have the mental fortitude to take this series to 7.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Can we double down on goaltending and run 4 skaters with Linus and Sway in net at the same time lol? This year’s playoffs are showing why the tandem system is a detriment right now. Had 4 mil in bonuses already gone, but having another 5 mil in Linus just sitting on the bench and watching is not ideal. Need to use that space for a top sixer or two.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
One thing is, I don't fire Monty

As much as he over tinkered with the line up last year, that's partially on sweeney going for too many pieces at the deadline and Monty having an embarrassment of riches, are you really not going to play bergeron and krejci when they say theyre ready to go?

His biggest mistake was goaltending but he learned and made adjustments and better decisions this year. He's squeezed every last drop out of his roster IMO.

I want to see the team re-tooled for next year and the goal should be ECF or a very hard fought second round exit. Im surmising that the Bruins will lose Tuesday night, so pushing to 7 next year and not getting embarrassed has to be the next step goal.

The question that should always be asked is: who's gonna replace him? And don't say Tort's. That guy hasn't won shit in years and drove the flyers into the ground this season.

I think Monty did a great job with what he had and showed improvement in decision making from last year. I wouldn't throw the baby out and let him learn from the coaching mistakes vs Maurice and try again with a better roster

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
One thing is, I don't fire Monty

As much as he over tinkered with the line up last year, that's partially on sweeney going for too many pieces at the deadline and Monty having an embarrassment of riches, are you really not going to play bergeron and krejci when they say theyre ready to go?

His biggest mistake was goaltending but he learned and made adjustments and better decisions this year. He's squeezed every last drop out of his roster IMO.

I want to see the team re-tooled for next year and the goal should be ECF or a very hard fought second round exit. Im surmising that the Bruins will lose Tuesday night, so pushing to 7 next year and not getting embarrassed has to be the next step goal.

The question that should always be asked is: who's gonna replace him? And don't say Tort's. That guy hasn't won shit in years and drove the flyers into the ground this season.

I think Monty did a great job with what he had and showed improvement in decision making from last year. I wouldn't throw the baby out and let him learn from the coaching mistakes vs Maurice and try again with a better roster
Monty is like a carpenter without the proper tools to finish off a house.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I suspect this will be the last game I watch this season, sure I will pop in from time to time to watch parts of the remaining series but I am seriously turned off of this sport after watching the last 2 Bruins games. When you question the integrity of the game you have to ask yourself if it's worth investing your time and emotions in such a poorly run sport.
No Boston or NE based fan should watch the PO. Let them explain away a literal
0.0 TV rating.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad