Speculation: So this may be a dumb question but when do we do the prospect ranking by us fans

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I am not up to date on all our prospect. I barely have enough time to follow the Oilers since I got in to buying Amazon pallet lots. I seen Bob's ranking but I wasn't even close to agreeing with him. I think Akey has to be one of our top prospects.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
IMO, Akey was our #1 prospect until we acquired Savoie.

Savoie
Akey
O'Reilly
Stefan
Lavoie

The rest

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
IMO, Akey was our #1 prospect until we acquired Savoie.

Savoie
Akey
O'Reilly
Stefan
Lavoie

The rest
Petrov is on par with Stefan IMO. Scoring 100 pts in CHL isn't a big deal especially for a 20yo. Rodrigue is up in the top 5 discussion as well.

Also, Jarventie is easily in top 5 for Oilers now.

Funny that 4 of my top 5 weren't even Oilers 4 months ago

Reactions: Canovin

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Petrov is on par with Stefan IMO. Scoring 100 pts in CHL isn't a big deal especially for a 20yo. Rodrigue is up in the top 5 discussion as well.

I am always bad for leaving goalies out but Rodrigue has fantastic numbers. To bad Campbell stole some of his development time away.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Your list is good as well. My list was just based off the top of my head. I should have put more thought into it haha

The reason I have Stefan ahead of Petrov is because Stefan hasn't showed signs of stagnant.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Your list is good as well. My list was just based off the top of my head. I should have put more thought into it haha
Yeh, maybe a prospect ranking exercise needs to happen here now that JJ has totally revamped the pool.
Curious to see where our 2nd rd pick E.Vinni lands on the list.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
1. Matthew Savoie-C/RW. Top 6 NHL winger in two years (post Jeff Skinner)
2. Sam O' Reilly-C. A 4C in three years. Prototype 3C
3. Beau Akey-RD. Second pair two way d upside. 3 year development path
4. Max Wanner - RD. Third pair physical d. 2-3 year development path
5. Raphael Lavoie - RW/LW. A 3W volume shooter. Waiver risk for opportunity on poor NHL roster
6. Matvei Petrov-W. Skill forward with 2 year AHL to build two way game and work ethic. Top 9 or bust.
7. New guy not Xavier Bourgault-RW. A stalled top 9 winger. 2 AHL years to see if he can reset
8. Olivier Rodrigue-G. Smaller athletic tender. 1 AHL year to see if there’s an NHL back-up in 2 years
9. Noah Philp-C. Prospective right hand 4C.
10. Eemil Vinni-G. Pedigree, athletic tender with pro league experience. 3-5 years development path.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
My U23 list, I created the day the Oilers traded for Savoie.. still not updated. I might slot Jarventie below Lavoie.

Matthew Savoie
Beau Akey
Sam O’Reilly
Eemil Vinni
Raphael Lavoie
Matvei Petrov
James Stefan
Maxim Berezkin (Beryozkin)
Max Wanner
Olivier Rodrigue

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Its kind of funny that I did my rankings right before we grabbed Savoie.

I'm coming around on Vinni, I think he could be a lot higher in a short period of time.

1. Matt Savoie
2. Sam O'Reilly
3. Beau Akey
4. Raphael Lavoie
5. Max Wanner
6. Olivier Rodrigue
7. Roby Jarventie
8. Eemil Vinni
9. Matvey Petrov
10. Jayden Grubbe

James Stefan and Matt Copponi might sneak in here as well.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
1. Matthew Savoie-C/RW. Top 6 NHL winger in two years (post Jeff Skinner)
2. Sam O' Reilly-C. A 4C in three years. Prototype 3C
3. Beau Akey-RD. Second pair two way d upside. 3 year development path
4. Max Wanner - RD. Third pair physical d. 2-3 year development path
5. Raphael Lavoie - RW/LW. A 3W volume shooter. Waiver risk for opportunity on poor NHL roster
6. Matvei Petrov-W. Skill forward with 2 year AHL to build two way game and work ethic. Top 9 or bust.
7. New guy not Xavier Bourgault-RW. A stalled top 9 winger. 2 AHL years to see if he can reset
8. Olivier Rodrigue-G. Smaller athletic tender. 1 AHL year to see if there’s an NHL back-up in 2 years
9. Noah Philp-C. Prospective right hand 4C.
10. Eemil Vinni-G. Pedigree, athletic tender with pro league experience. 3-5 years development path.
How has Jarventie stalled? I know it’s a smallish sample size but a 21 year old clipping at at ppg pace in the AHL is fantastic.

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
1) Savoie
2) O'Reilly
3) Akey
4) Jarventie
5) Wanner
6) Rodrigue
7) Berezkin (easy top 5 except for signability concerns)
8) Vinni
9) Petrov
10) Lavoie

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
How has Jarventie stalled? I know it’s a smallish sample size but a 21 year old clipping at at ppg pace in the AHL is fantastic.
I was too lazy to change the name/comments which were describing Bourgault. Jarventie's big question mark is recovery from major knee surgery and working on his game to onboard a veteran Cup window phase mature team versus a rebuild phase organization in Ottawa. Good raw tools some question about internal motor and aforementioned recovery from major knee injury.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's not a great pool but it may be functional. There are players on track to fill the spots that will probably come open in the next few years. Savoie is the wildcard. If he reaches his top end potential that would be big.

Akey and Wanner may also be big if they succeed. Cheap defensemen that can play are gold.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Out of pure importance to the long term success of the club, aka adding NHL tallent on entry level contracts in positions of need with desired skill sets, without doubt the most important prospect is Akey.

Warner having an easier to replicate skill set is a little lower down the list but nonetheless an important piece.

I think Savoie is the number one prospect overall.

O' Reilly likely a future depth center or deadline trade chip.

The rest are magic beans.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
1. Savoie
2. Berezkin
3. O'Reilly
4. Akey
5. Rodrigue
6. Petrov
7. Vinni
8. Lavoie
9. Jarventie
10. Nicholl

HM (in no particular order): Lachance | Copponi | Stefan | Grubbe | Yevseyev |

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Actually just did this list in the Bourgault-Jarventie thread

Right now my top 10 (focusing on upside and using the old HF grading system)

1. Savoie - Clear enough (8C+/B-)
  2. O’Reilly - Also clear enough (7.5C)
  3. Jarventie - Good size, good tools, questionable motor, but PPG in the AHL at 21 (with a bad knee) is something none of the others on this list can claim to have done. (7B)
  4. Akey - Could've been 2nd without the injury concerns (7.5C)
  5. Lavoie - Similar to Jarventie. But being no where near as productive at the same age has him further down the list. (7C)
  6. Berezkin - Sounds a lot like Jarventie with better hands. (7C)
  7. Petrov - More or less tracking the same as Lavoie or Berezkin. (7C)
  8. Vinni - Good size, great athleticism. Questions about consistency, but that's a bet I'll take on an 18 YO. (8D)
  9. Wanner - He's meaner, but he strikes me at this gen's Brandon Davidson. (6.5B)
  10. Grubbe - Going with throw-back names, how about Brodziak as a comparison here? (6,5B)

I honestly don't see much difference between Jarventie, Lavoie, Berezkin, Petrov. Jarventie's a tier up on the others, but I think the ceiling and floor for all of them the ranges from a Teddy Purcell through Brandon Perlini type. They should get a cup of coffee at the NHL level, might even make something of it for a few years. But ultimately just a complementary piece for the 2nd line at best.

Reminds me a bit of the mid/late 2010s classes. Decent number of NHLs, but primarily depth/secondary/tertiary pieces.

For NHL Readiness, I have...
  1. Kemp - 25YO DDF with 3 solid years in Bakersfield, I can see him as a cost effective replacement for Ceci and VInny
  2. Hamblin - We saw him for 30 games this year. He's fine as a stop gap option for the 4th line
  3. Lavoie - Has done everything asked of him at the AHL level. He may not swim at the NHL level, but he should get the chance.
  4. Jarventie - Has performed well at the AHL level, but he's still young and coming back from knee surgery moves him further down this list.
  5. Philp - Like Akey above, I sense a quick shot up these rankings if his game hasn't fallen off. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the Oilers' 4C by January.
  6. Rodrigue - 2 strong years in the AHL, has likely earned a game or two. But I don't see the upside here, as I think he's an Eric Comrie type.

Last edited:

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
  1. Matt Savoie
  2. Sam O'Reilly
  3. Beau Akey
  4. Roby Jarventie
  5. Noah Philp
  6. Maxim Brezekin
  7. Max Wanner
  8. Raphael Lavoie
  9. Olivier Rodrigue
  10. Matvey Petrov

Last edited:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
1. Matt Savoie
2. Sam O'Reilly
3. Beau Akey
4. Max Wanner
5. Roby Jarventie
6. Rafael Lavoie
7. Olivier Rodrigue
8. James Stefan
9. Maxim Beryozkin
10. Emil Vinni

HM Grubbe, Petrov, Philp,

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am not up to date on all our prospect. I barely have enough time to follow the Oilers since I got in to buying Amazon pallet lots. I seen Bob's ranking but I wasn't even close to agreeing with him. I think Akey has to be one of our top prospects.

I assume a few have mentioned it but compared to a few years ago? We do not have many prospects that will ever get to the NHL. We have guys we hope. But overall we are way down the list of teams with lots of legit prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad