OT: Snow Snow Snow...

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I didn't go to that game (I had seasons for 15 years), but I've been to several where blizzards were just ending. That's the beauty of the NYC subway--it can run even in a huge snow storm (they do have to suspend service on the parts of lines that are above ground). In fact, it was built in part because of a devastating blizzard in March 1888 that killed hundreds of people. It started after most people got to work and by the time everyone realized how bad it was, there were whiteout conditions. Hundreds of people froze to death trying to walk home.

And the R line is the only regular line that is entirely underground. Back when it was the RR--we called it the "rarely runs" line (the NR--now the N more or less--was "never runs"). But, it does run in snowstorms, no matter how slowly.

But severe heat shut it down a couple of years ago when I was up visiting Long Island for a family get together in July of 2019. My husband and son were bugging me to take them to the city but I was trying to explain you do not want to be in Manhattan in that severe heat. Thankfully, I was successful in talking them out of it. My nephew lives in Brooklyn and wasn't able to make it out because of the trains being down. I was disappointed because I wanted to go too, if it wasn't so hot.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
But severe heat shut it down a couple of years ago when I was up visiting Long Island for a family get together in July of 2019. My husband and son were bugging me to take them to the city but I was trying to explain you do not want to be in Manhattan in that severe heat. Thankfully, I was successful in talking them out of it. My nephew lives in Brooklyn and wasn't able to make it out because of the trains being down. I was disappointed because I wanted to go too, if it wasn't so hot.

I was talking about closing the whole system intentionally--before hurricane Sandy for example. Parts of the system do brake down in extreme weather (heat warps the rails on Metronorth and the LIRR), floods, blackouts and just horrible maintenance--the system is obviously laboring (even before Covid) but there is no comparison to the way things were in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Winter Storm warnings issued for most of the area. 5-7 inches.

Media was out to lunch again :rolleyes:

The prediction I have seen for almost a week now was a large spread of 2-7 inches but all of it was dependent on the storm track. Now that the storm can be accurately tracked, we can dial in the actual amounts.

Issue seems to be the storm was tracking more north of us than it ended up setting in at.

Reactions: frozenrubber

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Snow is coming back with a vengeance this year. Last year pretty much had nothing(but got Covid instead which obviously is worse) but not much snow. The previous year we had one bad storm in November which was a bitch to drive home from work but after that pretty much nothing

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I live in NE PA basically the mountains I’m loving every minute of this. It’s only not snowed two days this week. Anyways it’s coming down pretty good right now. They’re predicting 2-4 for my area.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Foosball would be great if it were Hockey

146706415_3851578894921405_8932268425164489491_n.png

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The prediction I have seen for almost a week now was a large spread of 2-7 inches but all of it was dependent on the storm track. Now that the storm can be accurately tracked, we can dial in the actual amounts.

Issue seems to be the storm was tracking more north of us than it ended up setting in at.

We ended up getting right around 7 inches. Predictions seemed to do decent on this one.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well today was a dud for most of us, Thursday is looking like it is also heading into dud territory despite the news thinking we are still getting 3-6 inches that day. We'll see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad