Smith Entertainment Group announces streaming packages for UHC and Jazz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
How did they get arizona? I thought that was the Vegas market now with the deal when the team relocated to Utah.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
How did they get arizona? I thought that was the Vegas market now with the deal when the team relocated to Utah.
It’s complicated….. :laugh:

Last season Scripps broadcast both Vegas and the Coyotes locally in SLC.

Roles are kinda reversed here now.

I believe Scripps will carry both teams in the Phoenix area, at least OTA. They own stations in both markets.

But this is streaming. Haven’t looked at this years Vegas package but they might have AZ included too.

Blackout rules will apply to ESPN+ except for national broadcasts. So Utah home games will be blacked out in AZ on that service.

Reactions: OG6ix

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA

Utah Hockey Club's coverage map includes....
Montana
Idaho
Utah
Arizona
Wyoming
NE quarter of Nevada
New Mexico
Plus the Imperial Valley of California.

Pricing:
$69.99 annual
$14,99 per month

I love this. If I could watch the Braves and Falcons games for $69.99/ea annually, I would drop my cable provider today. I hope this is the future of regional sports.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
The Jazz/UHC bundle runs $174.99.
Yeah. Too bloody expensive. I do think it helps that you can get tickets for a game as part of either yearly package, but it's still incredibly pricy. If it were me, I'd have no choice but to get the monthly deal. Disability "income" doesn't afford me the opportunity to dump cash into yearly subs.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah. Too bloody expensive. I do think it helps that you can get tickets for a game as part of either yearly package, but it's still incredibly pricy. If it were me, I'd have no choice but to get the monthly deal. Disability "income" doesn't afford me the opportunity to dump cash into yearly subs.
Become a season ticket holder then it’s free. :D

• Haha
Reactions: dj4aces

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent

Arizona's ratings the last year was so horrendously bad Scripps doesn't really care what happens to the market. Scripps thinks they might catch a few more eyes by letting them watch the New Coyotes over the Knights.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Arizona's ratings the last year was so horrendously bad Scripps doesn't really care what happens to the market. Scripps thinks they might catch a few more eyes by letting them watch the New Coyotes over the Knights.
Foley, the Knights owner, might not like that as he gave up markets to Utah he used to have but in exchange got the Phoenix market.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Foley, the Knights owner, might not like that as he gave up markets to Utah he used to have but in exchange got the Phoenix market.

Maybe the teams agreed to a mutual cross-over? Kings, Lakers, Ducks, Clippers can also offer in Utah? No idea, just thinking out loud.

Streaming rights seem to be a different animal. I signed up for UtahHC+ this morning and will find out later tonight. :laugh:

Edit….. Decided to check VGK’s stream site (KnightTimePlus) and took a screenshot of this…
IMG_4794.jpeg

It appears VGK and Utah share some of the same territory…… not Arizona.

Last edited:
Reactions: OG6ix

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

That's like $1.25 per game if you include both NBA and NHL games. Not really that expensive when you look at it from that perspective.

Streaming rights seem to be a different animal. I signed up for UtahHC+ this morning and will find out later tonight. :laugh:

Edit….. Decided to check VGK’s stream site (KnightTimePlus) and took a screenshot of this…
View attachment 908955

Part of me wants to think that the NHL had a say in this. Would be a pretty crappy move to all of a sudden not allow Arizona to watch Utah games(and the players they've watched the past few years grow up), and instead give them VGK. Granted, this is an instance where the move was relatively close from Arizona to Utah, but just a thought as to why the market is what it is.

Reactions: TheLegend

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

View attachment 908955

This is pretty funny that streaming might be circumventing the regional blackouts. You'd think the teams and the NHL would be more gatekeepish for streaming too.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Part of me wants to think that the NHL had a say in this. Would be a pretty crappy move to all of a sudden not allow Arizona to watch Utah games(and the players they've watched the past few years grow up), and instead give them VGK. Granted, this is an instance where the move was relatively close from Arizona to Utah, but just a thought as to why the market is what it is.

So when the franchise first moved from Winnipeg to Arizona the local tv stations would show a handful of Coyotes games in Winnipeg during the year (this was a long time ago, and no team had every game being broadcast), and the tv news or newspaper would still try to cover the team.

I don't think that lasted more than 2 years. They weren't "our" team anymore - nobody cared.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
That's like $1.25 per game if you include both NBA and NHL games. Not really that expensive when you look at it from that perspective.
I'm looking at it from a personal finance perspective. As I said, disability "income". So sure, it's only $1.25 per game or whatever, plus scoring two tickets to a game, but you have to remember that what is or isn't expensive is subjective, and everyone has their own idea of what is or isn't worth the money.

There is a lot of financial juggling that goes on when it comes to having a disability. 0/10, would not recommend.

Reactions: JMCx4

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
So when the franchise first moved from Winnipeg to Arizona the local tv stations would show a handful of Coyotes games in Winnipeg during the year (this was a long time ago, and no team had every game being broadcast), and the tv news or newspaper would still try to cover the team.

I don't think that lasted more than 2 years. They weren't "our" team anymore - nobody cared.

I'm sure the same thing will happen in AZ.

I'm looking at it from a personal finance perspective. As I said, disability "income". So sure, it's only $1.25 per game or whatever, plus scoring two tickets to a game, but you have to remember that what is or isn't expensive is subjective, and everyone has their own idea of what is or isn't worth the money.

There is a lot of financial juggling that goes on when it comes to having a disability. 0/10, would not recommend.

You can always reach out to the team, or whoever is in charge of it, and ask if you can be set up on a payment plan for yearly if you are so inclined. Wasn't trying to be a jerk about it, was just simply stating looking at it from a per game standpoint, it's actually very cheap. If you compare it to MLB, their single team package is $120 per season. Here you are getting 2 sports to watch.

Sounds like you might be better off getting a VPN and paying for ESPN+ instead(plus that way you get even more hockey!).

But your location says Duluth, GA, so why are you even concerned about it?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is pretty funny that streaming might be circumventing the regional blackouts. You'd think the teams and the NHL would be more gatekeepish for streaming too.

My understanding is the games 6-7 ESPN+ will have are subject to blackout other than two that will be on a national broadcast.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I made a subjective comment about it being expensive and got your initial response. The question is, why are you concerned about my opinion? :P

This is a business of hockey forum. I was commenting on your "business perspective" of what the team was charging for access to games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad