Small cities and villages wit many NHL players

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Once upon a time - in communities like Rouyn, Flin Flon and Kirkland Lake - hockey represented a road out of town, to escape a life spent in a factory or a mine. Dean Prentice got a taste of the mines in the area which now is Timmins, and had all the motivation he needed to ensure that he "made it" in the NHL. Went directly from junior hockey in Guelph to a spot on the New York Rangers, without playing a single game in the minors (unlike Andy Bathgate). Forechecking and backchecking were a price Prentice was willing to pay to stay out of the mines.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It makes all the sense in the world that more or less isolated smaller towns in colder climates produced hockey talents. What else were you supposed to do in these towns during the winter season, especially pre Internet. Play cards with grandma?

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Warroad Minnesota (population 1800, school district population of 6000) is Hockeyville USA with all of the players they've produced. One of the few places in the States where hockey is number 1 first and foremost throughout the entire community

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Two things I'll quibble about in this thread.

First, Steve Yzerman was born in Cranbrook, but is not a product of Cranbrook. He grew up and played all of his youth hockey in Ontario.

Second: some of the Saskatchewan places listed are a bit misleading, unless you know the geography. Citing North Battleford, for example. North Battleford is a city of about 15,000, but being born in North Battleford could mean you come from Battleford or one of the 10 outlying communities surrounding it. So while a dozen or so decent NHLers came from North Battleford, you're actually talking about a community that's a lot larger.
My understanding is that yes Yzerman is from Ontario and mostly developed there, but that he moved well after he would have started playing hockey. If this article on a young Yzerman is correct, then he moved at 10, so he had likely been in organized hockey for 5 years.

How a young, unflinching Steve Yzerman became the pride of Nepean

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Two things I'll quibble about in this thread.

First, Steve Yzerman was born in Cranbrook, but is not a product of Cranbrook. He grew up and played all of his youth hockey in Ontario.

Second: some of the Saskatchewan places listed are a bit misleading, unless you know the geography. Citing North Battleford, for example. North Battleford is a city of about 15,000, but being born in North Battleford could mean you come from Battleford or one of the 10 outlying communities surrounding it. So while a dozen or so decent NHLers came from North Battleford, you're actually talking about a community that's a lot larger.
I wouldn't say "a lot" larger.

The census agglomeration of North Battleford was 19,950 in 2023.

The city of North Battleford's population was 14,300 in 2023.

So it's about 70% the total of the region, with another 4500 in the town of Battleford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad