Slow start

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Disregarding the doomsayers who already jumped off the cliff after game 1, we're almost at the 10 game mark and are just .500. Even given what has occurred in the last two games, is it too early to panic, or is this a portent of another lost year? Should management let this season play out, in whatever shape it may take, without any major deadline deals, and then re-tool in the off season with an anticipated massive amount of cap space? That means Marner and JT both walk, Kampf, Yarnkrok, Lilj, Reaves, and a few of Dubas's drafts and signings (Steeves, Niemala, Abruzzeze) are all dealt at some point for prospects or picks, and we go into 25-26 with a couple of major FA signings and the future firmly planted on Matthews' and Nylander's shoulders.

I have no problem with this path. I think the current core needs a shakeup, but with NTC's in place, it's nearly impossible to do it in-season. It should have been done this past summer.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I thought a 6-4 start was likely and satisfactory. They started out hot, but none of this is surprising. It's a process and October you just don't want to put yourself way behind, we haven't.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Disregarding the doomsayers who already jumped off the cliff after game 1, we're almost at the 10 game mark and are just .500. Even given what has occurred in the last two games, is it too early to panic, or is this a portent of another lost year? Should management let this season play out, in whatever shape it may take, without any major deadline deals, and then re-tool in the off season with an anticipated massive amount of cap space? That means Marner and JT both walk, Kampf, Yarnkrok, Lilj, Reaves, and a few of Dubas's drafts and signings (Steeves, Niemala, Abruzzeze) are all dealt at some point for prospects or picks, and we go into 25-26 with a couple of major FA signings and the future firmly planted on Matthews' and Nylander's shoulders.

I have no problem with this path. I think the current core needs a shakeup, but with NTC's in place, it's nearly impossible to do it in-season. It should have been done this past summer.

Theres no point to this being a lost year as the team owns few of its own draft picks. They can still potentially let some guys walk, but they really do need to be as competitive as possible.

Personally I don't necessarily think this meh start to the year is a sign of doom on the horizon, they'll shake it off. But if they don't management will need to try and aggressively right the ship mid season

Reactions: torontoblood

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
I thought a 6-4 start was likely and satisfactory. They started out hot, but none of this is surprising. It's a process and October you just don't want to put yourself way behind, we haven't.
A 82- game season is a grinding marathon. Lots of highs and lows. I expected them to struggle early in the season under the tutelage of a new coach and take some time to adapt to his system and team philosophy. It will take time to get rid of the usual old bad habits. And it will take a lot of time to learn and adopt new and better habits . This season will have a lot of Growing pains. Patience. I know it’s frustrating and annoying but we should be patient and hopeful. The last two losses are ugly and disappointing but not worrying. They will go back to their level of play before these back to back blowouts . Berube won’t let them get away with it. The leafs will revert to the mean, we aren’t this bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not worried about the start.

Defensively, we aren't seeing improvement, even with the rebuilt defense.

We should start seeing some buy-in and less easy-path play within a few weeks.

I will say they look slow, but perhaps that is because they are thinking and not flowing.

Mind you age might be showing on one center and one 1st. pairing defender. (1st. pairing because technically they do have a 1st. pairing.)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not worried about the start.

We should start seeing some buy-in and less easy-path play within a few weeks.

I will say they look slow, but perhaps that is because they are thinking and not flowing.

Mind you age might be showing on one center and one 1st. pairing defender. (1st. pairing because technically they do have a 1st. pairing.)

Fixing the power play solves most of the teams issues one way or the other

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I think this is the slowest start for the offensive stars of the team, except Willie. In years past they could outscore themselves out of a bad start to a game, and high scoring comebacks were not uncommon.

So far this year that has not happened at all.

Matthews & Marner have not produced, and the powerplay is just brutal, with only 3 ppg's in 8 games, and two of those came in one game.

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021

I agree somewhat. Stolarz has been excellent so far this year. He was directly involved in all our wins save the one in New Jersey(hildeby was the starter/winning goaltender when we won 4-2 against the devils) Your defense (and defensive numbers )always looks good when your goaltender (literally the last line of defense)covers your mistakes and makes the saves.

I think this is the slowest start for the offensive stars of the team, except Willie. In years past they could outscore themselves out of a bad start to a game, and high scoring comebacks were not uncommon.

So far this year that has not happened at all.

Matthews & Marner have not produced, and the powerplay is just brutal, with only 3 ppg's in 8 games, and two of those came in one game.
Yep I don’t see matthews getting close to even 50 goals this season. Maybe the team new focus on defense first (under the influence of coach berube ) is affecting his offensive habits, creativity, anticipation and production.

As for the PP struggles, we need a powerplay quarterback.on this team. A facilitator/playmaker with vision and a great hard shot from the point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad