Slafkovsky vs Sennecke

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who has the higher ceiling?

• Total voters

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I like it for both of them. The concerns I had about Sennecke's play selection were largely evaporated by his playoffs where he brought everything together.
His assist production in the playoffs wasn’t much more than in the regular season. It was his goalscoring that ramped up a bit. Calling him an elite playmaker is a gross exaggeration.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
His assist production in the playoffs wasn’t much more than in the regular season. It was his goalscoring that ramped up a bit. Calling him an elite playmaker is a gross exaggeration.

I'm basing it on an analysis of the tools from watching many of his games. You're not going to change my mind talking about boxscore stats that we've all seen a thousand times.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just seems like a weird poll... slaf was drafted as an 18 year old that was already ready for NHL action.. Sennecke is an obvious project pick with upside... i guess its possible for Sennecke to end up better.... but not based on anything we have to go off of right now.

Prob better to ask in a year or 2
I gotta congratulate you on being impartial on this one. It's good to see.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'm basing it on an analysis of the tools from watching many of his games. You're not going to change my mind talking about boxscore stats that we've all seen a thousand times.
Here’s something you seem to be unaware of; other people have watched his games too. I know, strange on a hockey forum.

It’s also pretty much a consensus opinion among scouts that he doesn’t utilize his teammates enough.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here’s something you seem to be unaware of; other people have watched his games too. I know, strange on a hockey forum.

I didn't suggest otherwise.

It’s also pretty much a consensus opinion among scouts that he doesn’t utilize his teammates enough.

I don't disagree with that consensus opinion. But I think when he wants to make a play he can make a beautiful play. He has a junior playstyle because his tools are often best utilized that way in junior, but the underlying tools including passing ability are all top notch in my book, so I expect to see him change as the situation around him does.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Slafkovsky would have developed faster if the Habs didn't throw him to the wolves and let him look like a deer in headlights for most of his rookie season. Then he got injured. and missed lots of play time.

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
Sennecke is unreal when watching him live. Now he has a lot of filling out to do.

I had said that Sennecke has the higher ceiling and that is in terms of if they hit their absolute max.

This past draft Parekh has the highest ceiling for defence and just about all of us would not pick him as the first defenceman in the draft.
the only thing unreal about sennecke is his mom

• Wow
Reactions: Crow and Xirik

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Sennecke is unreal when watching him live. Now he has a lot of filling out to do.

I had said that Sennecke has the higher ceiling and that is in terms of if they hit their absolute max.

This past draft Parekh has the highest ceiling for defence and just about all of us would not pick him as the first defenceman in the draft.
You think Sennecke has higher ceiling ? Based on what ? Slafkovsky at 17 years old won the Olympics mvp against men and dominated at the World championship. It wasn't the best on best tournament because of politic circumstances, but still against the best men among all of euro leagues, which the CHL can't even compare too.

At 19, Slaf put up 50 points in his second year, went almost ppg in his second half of the season, looking like an absolute beast and you are telling us that Sennecke has higher ceiling ? Based on what ? Slaf ceiling is somewhere in the 80-90 points range while being an absolute force of the nature in the corners, puck protection and cycling game. Add to that his amazing on ice vision, playmaking ability, work ethic and you have a franchise player that will dominate the league for the next 10 years.

Now you are telling me Sennecke will be anywhere close to that ? DON'T get me wrong dear, Beckett seems like a good kid with good potential, but Slafkovsky wins this hands down and it's not even close... :teach:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Sennecke has a ton of runway left so his top upside, if you account for the insane tools he already has, is through the roof.

You might have missed the first thing I said, I certainly take the bird in the hand in Slafkovsky. This conversation is about upside/potential not necessarily the median or average outcomes.
Yea, I don't get it. Shinny new toy I guess. If you make that pole before the draft people would laugh big time.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I was so pissed when the Habs drafted Slaf, I was a huge Slaf hater for 18 months. But come on man, this isn't even a question anymore. Have you seen Slaf play? Not just watching boxscores - actually watched games. He's unreal.

I second this. I wouldnt say I was a hater myself but I definetly wasn't a fan of that pick but I'll be the first to tell anybody that I would not even come close to taking another player in that draft as of today. His stats were pretty good this year, but actually watching the kid play... he's a damn beast.

He got a bad rep from his rookie season and the first month of this season, but he flipped a switch in mid november and has really been something special to watch.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Slafkovsky would have developed faster if the Habs didn't throw him to the wolves and let him look like a deer in headlights for most of his rookie season. Then he got injured. and missed lots of play time.
It took slaf 60 nhl games over 2 seasons to start to look comfortable as a nhl player

That’s pretty damn rapid development

This is such a weird thread and comparison, what’s your angle here @Garbageyuk ? You think sennecke is going to be pretty good?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It took slaf 60 nhl games over 2 seasons to start to look comfortable as a nhl player

That’s pretty damn rapid development

This is such a weird thread and comparison, what’s your angle here @Garbageyuk ? You think sennecke is going to be pretty good?
There’s no angle or take lol. I simply asked for people’s opinions. I didn’t even vote in the poll lmao. You guys need to settle down.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Two big, raw wingers seen as a bit of a project taken at the top (or near the top) of the draft. Who has the higher ceiling/potential?
Hard to judge how sennecke is in 2 or 3 years. Meanwhile slafkovsky just had a breakout nhl season. Lindstrom vs sennecke is a much better option for a poll.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Anaheim reaching doesn't magically make him a Slafkovsky level player.
They’ve done it before with mctavish and it worked out just fine.

The kids just 18 give him time to grow the draft hasn’t even been a week ago and people are giving him huge expectations. Re-evaluate in 2 or 3 seasons when he is in the nhl

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I mean, at the time of the draft? It could be argued more easily, but Slafkovsky right now is quite accomplished at the NHL level while the other guy hasn't played a single game.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
They’ve done it before with mctavish and it worked out just fine.

The kids just 18 give him time to grow the draft hasn’t even been a week ago and people are giving him huge expectations. Re-evaluate in 2 or 3 seasons when he is in the nhl
Mctavish was 4th on Mackenzie list before the draft like we said in another trade. They didn't reach for him and even if it was, it's not because it worked one time that it will work everytime

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Mctavish was 4th on Mackenzie list before the draft like we said in another trade. They didn't reach for him and even if it was, it's not because it worked one time that it will work everytime
I would say most lists this year were all over the place and many said after celebrini the draft was wide open for 8-12 spots, you even saw that with the actual draft order day off.

If all those guys are essentially seen as same tier players(maybe demidov/levshunov we’re slightly above the rest) is it really a reach? We just went with the guy our scouts thought projected the best down the line. Only guys you could really argue we reached over was Demidov(and Anaheim has a history of not drafting Russians).

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
I would say most lists this year were all over the place and many said after celebrini the draft was wide open for 8-12 spots, you even saw that with the actual draft order day off.

If all those guys are essentially seen as same tier players(maybe demidov/levshunov we’re slightly above the rest) is it really a reach? We just went with the guy our scouts thought projected the best down the line. Only guys you could really argue we reached over was Demidov(and Anaheim has a history of not drafting Russians).
Sennecke with the 3ov was definitely a reach. Maybe Anaheim will look like genius or maybe not. But it was a reach nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad