Value of: Skjei to ....

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Rangers have 3 LD prospects close -- Rykov, Lindgren, Hajak. Miller is a few away. Claesson played well for us. Staal is approaching end of his career and Smith I want to move.

Skjei should be repurposed.
Uneven performer, but the key -- forward and backward skating -- is very solid +. With the right partner, he looks like McDonagh II; with the wrong guy. not so much. The skillset is there, he is at decent good value [as opposed to ridiculous bargain] money and there is nice term. A late first who is a known commodity, will be asset for next several years.

What am I bid?

I am principally thinking about the following, but others can make competitive offers.

Something around:

Skjei to Montreal for 15OA

or

IF IF IF IF IF
a separate deal could be had to get 7OA from Buffalo, Skjei + 7OA to move up to 3OA.

Obviously, a less ambitious deal for Skjei to Chicago w/out 7OA or 3OA can be alternatively considered.

Thoughts?

til later....

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
nah from an habs perpective, couple of good LHD prospect will be available at 15. Rather develop one with a mid pick like that. Skjei has been dissapointed in the past 2 season and signed contract with alot of term, Wich can be good or bad depending on he bounces back.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Skjei’s contract scares me. NYR overpaid and it has potential to get worse.

I`m not worried about Brady he promised us to work hard this summer. I believe he overachieved in his first NHL seasons so his value will be worth it already next season.
Besides we can`t move a defender at the moment until our young prospects are closer to NHL ready from the 2018 draft.

Reactions: bl02

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
No thanks from Chicago. Don't need his contract price tag when he seems to be fluctuating on being a second pair or third pair dman depending on the year

Hawks already have enough bottom 4 dman tweeners to go to

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The Rangers have 3 LD prospects close -- Rykov, Lindgren, Hajak. Miller is a few away. Claesson played well for us. Staal is approaching end of his career and Smith I want to move.

Skjei should be repurposed.
Uneven performer, but the key -- forward and backward skating -- is very solid +. With the right partner, he looks like McDonagh II; with the wrong guy. not so much. The skillset is there, he is at decent good value [as opposed to ridiculous bargain] money and there is nice term. A late first who is a known commodity, will be asset for next several years.

What am I bid?

I am principally thinking about the following, but others can make competitive offers.

Something around:

Skjei to Montreal for 15OA

or

IF IF IF IF IF
a separate deal could be had to get 7OA from Buffalo, Skjei + 7OA to move up to 3OA.

Obviously, a less ambitious deal for Skjei to Chicago w/out 7OA or 3OA can be alternatively considered.

Thoughts?

til later....
What exactly do you propose a clearly rebuilding Rangers team that has traded almost everything of value will parse into 7OA to be able to trade 7OA PLUS Skjei? Given the source, I’m almost afraid to ask.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I think Skjei will work through the rough road. His main partner was Staal, who although better last season that the one before is still pretty terrible. I'm not sure he is McD lite as someone said the other day but he'll be fine. The Rangers D as a whole was pretty much a dumpster fire this season. Claesson and ADA seemed like the only two guys who figured it out.

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The 15OA is too rich for my blood. However, I’d be willing to do Skjei + NYR 2nd round pick for Montreal’s first (15OA). That’s as far as I would go from Montreal POV

Reactions: RyderRocks73

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I wouldn't trade 7 for him personally.

Neither would I and I apologize if I was not clear enuf, tho I thought I was.

It's an entirely separate deal with Buf which nets 7th.

Do Hawks consider Skjei enough, or close enough of a substantial, plus, to go down from 3OA.

Not suggesting Skjei for 3OA.

Skjei + 7OA as basis for 3OA

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not moving Skjei until those prospects prove they can play in the NHL at his level or better

fortune favors the bold

these guys are close enough, and even IF we needed to give them a bit more time, we can get stopgaps for that.

The idea is to get Skjei/+ to net the highest possible return, pref a pick, so that we either have more restocking of the system, or, options to trade up further with a pick rec'd for Skjei to be added to other picks/assets.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
nah from an habs perpective, couple of good LHD prospect will be available at 15. Rather develop one with a mid pick like that. Skjei has been dissapointed in the past 2 season and signed contract with alot of term, Wich can be good or bad depending on he bounces back.

thanks, 1 habs no vote, keep 'em coming...

ps - am I wrong to thing that after Byram this draft is thin on D in the first round, with Fs the ones to be looking at?
IOW, is a D at 15 a bit of a reach talent wise compared to projections for an F in that slot?

Also, taking an F may/may not get better than Skjei ultimately. There is no reason to think that logically, if Skjei got what he was at late 20s and someone is picking at 15, that the 15 won't be as good or better, even tho Skjei at 20 something was not automatic guarantee of value and neither is 15, or most other slots.

But that is not the downside.

The downside is immediate help vs. future availability of the prospect, which ultimately delivers more production.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I`m not worried about Brady he promised us to work hard this summer. I believe he overachieved in his first NHL seasons so his value will be worth it already next season.
Besides we can`t move a defender at the moment until our young prospects are closer to NHL ready from the 2018 draft.

I'm not worried about Brady either.
He offers something you can't teach: great skating, which is a key to successful D performance.
There is room to improve and I see him doing so.

I expect he will benefit, as will others, once we shed more excess and get to a min core; with a result being less constant juggling of roster and pairings not being familiar/settled -- this was esp prevalent under AV. Also, some of those partners were less than ideal.

no, the key here is maxing our position in THIS draft, which is deep.

Reactions: Ori

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
We haven't tried him as a center yet, though. I think you're giving up on Brady too early Bern!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No thanks from Chicago. Don't need his contract price tag when he seems to be fluctuating on being a second pair or third pair dman depending on the year

Hawks already have enough bottom 4 dman tweeners to go to

Thanks for the no vote.
My understanding is Keith has minimal time left, and his exit would provide both place and $ for his successor.

However, if you don't like the production for the $, that's something else.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What exactly do you propose a clearly rebuilding Rangers team that has traded almost everything of value will parse into 7OA to be able to trade 7OA PLUS Skjei? Given the source, I’m almost afraid to ask.

I'm too busy to finalize it now, but I have an idea that Rangers can deliver enough F and Deangelo as a base for Sabes 7OA, another pick, and two RD prospects. When I'm ready, I'll start that as a new thread.

I wanted to get some heads up on Skjei.
So yes, it's purely hypothetical, and I have to connect the dots, later.
But let's conditionally proceed that that is possible.
How much does a skjei add move the needle?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think Skjei will work through the rough road. His main partner was Staal, who although better last season that the one before is still pretty terrible. I'm not sure he is McD lite as someone said the other day but he'll be fine. The Rangers D as a whole was pretty much a dumpster fire this season. Claesson and ADA seemed like the only two guys who figured it out.

And Staal, a lefty, and Skjei, also lefty, is not as ideal as an LD-RD pairing.

Would rather make the space now and give the kids the mins.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
thanks, 1 habs no vote, keep 'em coming...

ps - am I wrong to thing that after Byram this draft is thin on D in the first round, with Fs the ones to be looking at?
IOW, is a D at 15 a bit of a reach talent wise compared to projections for an F in that slot?

Also, taking an F may/may not get better than Skjei ultimately. There is no reason to think that logically, if Skjei got what he was at late 20s and someone is picking at 15, that the 15 won't be as good or better, even tho Skjei at 20 something was not automatic guarantee of value and neither is 15, or most other slots.

But that is not the downside.

The downside is immediate help vs. future availability of the prospect, which ultimately delivers more production.

no i see it the way around, the foward, specially Center is so deep that a shit ton of potentially great LHD Dman will fall in the mid round, thats where you hope your scouting staffs comes in.
just to name few, Heinola, York, Harley, Broberg they all have a high upside for different reason, some safer than others as usual!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad