Skates for High Arches and Wide Feet?

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
http://www.epinions.com/content_3832651908

I saw this on the web and I loved how detailed it was on skate fitting.

I have wide feet with a very high arch. I've got to get new skates as the 2-year-old CCM's I have are still really hurting my feet during games.

I'd love to try the Graf's as I've heard great things about them. But they're very expensive. I didn't want to spend over $250 on a new pair. Actually, anything over $150 is beyond my budget but I'm tired of having discount skates.

Anyone else have wide feet and/or high arches? What skates do you use?

Dangler87

Nov 14, 2007
Well Hank, you can always go to a foot podiatrist and have them custom mold a special foot support for you, whether it be an arch support, or just making your foot more comfortable in your skates. I went to my podiatrist and had the shape of my foot molded into a special extra foot support padding. And it really helps.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
I have flat foot and somewhat wide feet (but I can fit into a D skate). Back in 1998 in HS I had my podiatrist make a mold of my feet and put them in my skates. It worked for 1 year, but after that my feet were killing me. I had to give up ice hockey because of it. Recently I discovered RBK skates. The inlines fit my feet great, now I just need to try their RBK ice boot. I know GRAF does custom skates as well, but that could be $500 and up.

Anyone else have flat feet here?

Wags

Apr 26, 2004
I have wide feet and I got some Easton's this year (I think I paid $200)...probably the most comfortable my feet have been. I should add I used to wear tacks. You could try the easton with those superfeet things in them.

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
I saw the exact same article and then realised I had been skating in the wrong skates (CCM's) for 5 years. For more good advice go to modsquadhockey.com and they will help you out. A lot of knowledgable posters on there that helped me with my skate selection.

I also have a high arch and instep, as well as wide feet and now I use the Graf 709's which are perfect for me. It makes a HUGE difference to get skates that fit you as well as they should, my old CCM's felt like ski boots. If you can't spend that much then I would reccommend a lower series but still in the '09' area as that is suitable for high arches and wide feet. Perhaps the 609's? Best to go in to your local hockey shop and get them fitted by they peeps there.

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
I have wide feet and high arches and I skate Bauer Supremes in EE width. Best skates I've ever worn.

A couple of people also mentioned custom foot beds. Nice if you can afford them, but there are alternatives. Many running stores carry foot beds you can heat in the oven at home and stand on to create a custom fit. They run about $40.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I have flat foot and somewhat wide feet (but I can fit into a D skate). Back in 1998 in HS I had my podiatrist make a mold of my feet and put them in my skates. It worked for 1 year, but after that my feet were killing me. I had to give up ice hockey because of it. Recently I discovered RBK skates. The inlines fit my feet great, now I just need to try their RBK ice boot. I know GRAF does custom skates as well, but that could be $500 and up.

Anyone else have flat feet here?

I do and at age 13 I had some custom arches made. They worked awesome and it got rid of any back pain I used to have when I was younger. I also have very narrow feet so I have a D skate but I put an extra Dr. Sholls insole in it to take up some space. I still use the arches 12 years later (although they ive gotten new ones since they as ive grown) and suggest it for all people with flat feet/literally no arch.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I have wide feet and high arches and I skate Bauer Supremes in EE width. Best skates I've ever worn.

A couple of people also mentioned custom foot beds. Nice if you can afford them, but there are alternatives. Many running stores carry foot beds you can heat in the oven at home and stand on to create a custom fit. They run about $40.

I might have to try these.

I got a pair of Grafs and they're just not doing it for me.
I've had them stretched and modified 7 times and I have the Graf insole to boot. Nothing makes them comfortable.
Also, after having skated on CCM's for the past 18 years, I can't get used to the angle that Graf's put your foot in. My heel is way higher than my toes, forcing me to lean forward. I know that's the way it should be, but I just can't get used to them.
I'll have to see about returning these Grafs and trying a pair of Bauer's. They were the first brand I ever wore. I might have to return to those.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
High arch feet should be in either Mission or Bauer, as they have the two highest arch supports on the market. Every company makes regular and wide width skates, but Bauer and Mission will be the only ones with the correct arch (which will never break in, btw). Go slightly narrow, the boot will stretch out. If you go too wide right off the bat, it will never shrink in to match where your foot's width stops. The diff between a D and E width is 1/8''... It WILL stretch.

Scarey04

Nov 5, 2018

I also skate with a Bauer supreme (one8. If i remember correctly). They fit amazing compared to everything else... But I recently wenf to a Bauer store. And stood on their scanner that scans your feet just for the heck of it... They said... My left foot need size6/right size 6.5... left foot high arch/right foot very high arch...left foot size EE/ right foot EE... The recommended Bauer Nexus (or a different Bard of same foot type, but they are a Bauer store so they aren't gonna tell you).

But my Bauer supremes are Size 8 and fit perfect.
Step one: find out foot type
Step two: try on as many skates for that foot type as possible.
Step three: have a professional help you. And make sure they know you are willing to buy but your not spending 1000 dollars... Because that 200 dollar sale is better then a 0 dollar sale and they will help you.
Step four: If your feet are done growing get them heat molded to your feet. Some people as their feet grow the heat molded akages won't fit anymore... Then you have to re do it.

Reactions: LeifUK

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
The Bauer scanner put me in 7EE Vapor, as my feet have a shallow heel, shallow forefoot and they are not wide. But they are shaped like ducks feet, being widest at the toes. Vapor assumes that the widest part is further back than the toes and they cramp my toes. Supremes feel comfortable. The truth is that the three Bauer models are an attempt to cater for all feet, and the fit is sometimes not so good when feet do not conform to any of the three shapes. My experience suggests that the fitting algorithm used by the scanner is good, but not perfect, and you still have to try on a couple of models of skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad