Confirmed with Link: SKA Officially Terminates Matvei Michkov’s Contract - He’s Coming! upd: signs ELC on 7/1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
STG episode today is toying around with the idea of Michkov trying out at center a little bit this season.

Please make it happen.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
STG episode today is toying around with the idea of Michkov trying out at center a little bit this season.

Please make it happen.
This was my comment in the michkov main forums after yesterday's preseason game:

" This game Michkov did not play his offensive game like a typical winger, more like a traditional center actually, pretty unique.

Slows the game down sometimes, sets up teammates numerous times towards space and into chances, behind the net presence to distribute while body shielding at times.

Looked kinda like Forsberg almost....."

If it looks like it, passes like it , plays like it.....it very well could be IT.

Reactions: Redpath

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
This was my comment in the michkov main forums after yesterday's preseason game:

" This game Michkov did not play his offensive game like a typical winger, more like a traditional center actually, pretty unique.

Slows the game down sometimes, sets up teammates numerous times towards space and into chances, behind the net presence to distribute while body shielding at times.

If it looks like it, passes like it , plays like it.....it very well could be IT.

He plays like a center, he's expressed interest in playing center, the Flyers have a need for center. Even Demidov has said he thinks Michkov can play center.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

If you're skilled enough to slow the game down to where you control it like Forsberg, then you're special.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Lots to notice about MIchkov, and I'm not sure I'm describing this particular quality / skill properly.

Preface to my point: He's very good along the boards for a guy his size, age and experience playing against NHL defenders (very small sample size).

Which brings me to my point - when he comes away from the boards on his forehand, he has an incredible ability to hook passes sharply and accurately across his body. I'm sure the short stick helps, and I guess he has a big curve that both help.

Paired with his vision and ability to lift passes over multiple defender sticks, and land them so precisely is striking. He is so accurate, and throws passes where you think "well that's not getting through" and then it does, and it jumps out at you.

Combine this with his ability to just know where the puck is while at his feet, or defender's feet, all while having a picture in his head of where everyone else is, then make that quick pass out of a scrum is striking. Don't know if it's not looking at the puck, or just anticipating where other players are, or a combination of the two, but watching him make those plays is so far outside of the expected norm since Giroux left.

Trying to think of comparable players who did this really well but I'm not coming up with anyone outside of guys that were / are great at everything in general. Gretzky was the best, and Crosby is incredible, but both used their backhand more (I think). And it's foolish to compare to either of them. I have seen Gretzky, Lemieux, Forsberg and Crosby live multiple times, from great seats and I was always shocked by their vision.

But what comparable players have we seen that are way below these guys, but excel at this particular skill? Ville Leino maybe? Didn't he use a really short stick? Great passer. Let's hope Leino is the basement floor for Michkov, and he never gets close to it.

His shot doesn't seem great though. Maybe the short stick hurts there? Forsberg wasn't really a sniper with that short stick.

I'm hoping for a Teemu Selanne type of rookie season. I'm nothing if not a bit delusional. Michkov is nowhere near the physical player that Selanne was. But I'm two martinis in, and I don't care.

Last edited:

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I’m glad everyone is enjoying him so far lol, you could see this a mile away in the KHL. Kid is so smart, his preseason highlights literally remind me of Crosby so much lol. Guy always makes the right pass, play it seems and the puck always finds the great ones.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Lots to notice about MIchkov, and I'm not sure I'm describing this particular quality / skill properly.

Preface to my point: He's very good along the boards for a guy his size, age and experience playing against NHL defenders (very small sample size).

Which brings me to my point - when he comes away from the boards on his forehand, he has an incredible ability to hook passes sharply and accurately across his body. I'm sure the short stick helps, and I guess he has a big curve that both help.

Paired with his vision and ability to lift passes over multiple defender sticks, and land them so precisely is striking. He is so accurate, and throws passes where you think "well that's not getting through" and then it does, and it jumps out at you.

Combine this with his ability to just know where the puck is while at his feet, or defender's feet, all while having a picture in his head of where everyone else is, then make that quick pass out of a scrum is striking. Don't know if it's not looking at the puck, or just anticipating where other players are, or a combination of the two, but watching him make those plays is so far outside of the expected norm since Giroux left.

Trying to think of comparable players who did this really well but I'm not coming up with anyone outside of guys that were / are great at everything in general. Gretzky was the best, and Crosby is incredible, but both used their backhand more (I think). And it's foolish to compare to either of them. I have seen Gretzky, Lemieux, Forsberg and Crosby live multiple times, from great seats and I was always shocked by their vision.

But what comparable players have we seen that are way below these guys, but excel at this particular skill? Ville Leino maybe? Didn't he use a really short stick? Great passer. Let's hope Leino is the basement floor for Michkov, and he never gets close to it.

His shot doesn't seem great though. Maybe the short stick hurts there? Forsberg wasn't really a sniper with that short stick.

I'm hoping for a Teemu Selanne type of rookie season. I'm nothing if not a bit delusional. Michkov is nowhere near the physical player that Selanne was. But I'm two martinis in, and I don't care.

Watching him since he was drafted it's constantly amazing how often his possession battles against the boards against 1 and 2 opponents aren't actually battles. They look like it, but the reality is that he is in control, and through the chaos he has enough space and control to make precise passes while being challenged. It's heartening to see him do it in a Flyers jersey even if preseason is a bad measure.

Or he skates into the middle of an existing fight for the puck and just bullies out a play. Live it looks like a regular chaotic board battle but on replay you can see he's just managing to create a bubble of control for himself. The dude isn't close to his physical peak either. He's going to be a menace.

Reactions: PK16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad