Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This sucks but is understandable from Askarov's POV. It is also stupid. I dont think he has earned the right to be undisputed backup but i figured we wouldve given him the job just to keep things smooth or atleast have a 3 way tandem to get Saros more days off since we are tied to him for 9 more seasons the extra rest might help his body last. Either way... we probably trade him for less than he was originally acquired for (11th overall 1st round pick) or he ends up in Russia on a suspended contract.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I have to say, I do think that the timing of this trade request is a bit off as Askarov really hasn't proven he's ready for the NHL but I'm not saying this is completely uncalled for.

Askarov, rightly so, sees that there is no path to Number One in Nashville. I agree with the request, I just think it's a year or two early.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Montreal has interest. We have a plethora of young Ds to trade. Amongst other things.
Personally, i think Mailloux would be a decent target. Big RHD that plays with some real grit. Good offensive upside as well. They already have Reinbacher so they may be willing to trade him but they probably see them as a 1/2 punch of the future. That just leaves Barron who im unsure of personally.

Reactions: Scoresberg

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Huge fan of the Predators!!

The way I see this situation is that the Nashville Predators are pretty darned good when it comes to drafting and developing goaltenders. This is a little sticky, though.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Personally, I think San Jose has some enticing prospects. A guy like William Eklund could do the trick for me. I also like David Edström, though I think he's a tad more physical Svechkov at this point but that might be the return we have to "settle" for.

I also think the Sharks' new GM has shown that he isn't afraid to make moves, so yeah, makes sense that they're on the top of the list as of right now.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Grain of salt as always with Preds media but isn't it part of Trotz's job to manage differing personalities?
Being ready for the NHL seems to be a hard sticking point with Trotz. We have already seen it with Tomasino and Pärssinen. We will see if he can navigate those two. If Trotz doesnt think you are ready, he is going to send you to the AHL.

Reactions: adsfan

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Personally, i think Mailloux would be a decent target. Big RHD that plays with some real grit. Good offensive upside as well. They already have Reinbacher so they may be willing to trade him but they probably see them as a 1/2 punch of the future. That just leaves Barron who im unsure of personally.
Agreed. Don't forget you have to fill a spot if you lose askarov. We have 2 youngish Goalies in the NHL right now. So we can help with that, We can also deal draft picks. Our GM is great at acquiring more picks. Also, we have excess cap space in the present, we can retain salary and we can take on a bad contract (with little year left on the deal). We can deal extra bodies at fwd to plug holes you may have. So, yeah, we can be very flexible and creative.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Personally, I think San Jose has some enticing prospects. A guy like William Eklund could do the trick for me. I also like David Edström, though I think he's a tad more physical Svechkov at this point but that might be the return we have to "settle" for.

I also think the Sharks' new GM has shown that he isn't afraid to make moves, so yeah, makes sense that they're on the top of the list as of right now.
Sharks are in a good position with centers in their prospect line: Eklund, Smith, Celebrini, Bystedt, Edstrom... then they have Granlund and Wennberg as older vets.

Eklund, Smith, and Celebrini are likely nonstarters. Bystedt and Edstrom would be decent targets. Musty would be a good LW prospect but we have so many winger prospects at the moment.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Agreed. Don't forget you have to fill a spot if you lose askarov. We have 2 youngish Goalies in the NHL right now. So we can help with that, We can also deal draft picks. Our GM is great at acquiring more picks.
Yeh id take primeau back and try to pass him through waivers if Wedgewood does better at camp. We cant do monty due to cap considerations. We could also include Fabbro as a younger RHD since he seems to be on the outs here anyways.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I have to say, I do think that the timing of this trade request is a bit off as Askarov really hasn't proven he's ready for the NHL but I'm not saying this is completely uncalled for.

Askarov, rightly so, sees that there is no path to Number One in Nashville. I agree with the request, I just think it's a year or two early.
Yeah, I think there is a lot that is wrong about this from the Askarov side of things. He has to know that he crapped the bed the last two playoff runs, with Preds management in the stands watching closely. How can he think that doesn't matter? Or that he wouldn't be able to redeem himself if he came into Training Camp and just absolutely wowed everybody?

I can see maybe if he did come into camp and stand on his head, but still got sent down, then he would have at least a little more reason to be miffed. Albeit many young players face this same challenge every year, and just vow to keep working hard knowing their time will come. Still, at least he could then argue that he "earned" something. As opposed to now. When he's just asking for a free lunch.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

He could have asked for/continued to ask for a trade quietly, seen if he made the backup role, played well through the season, and signed an offer sheet next season if it didn't materialize. Instead, he's now potentially going to, what, head to the KHL, which will probably cool some of the interest in him regardless of how well he does over there.

Agent saw how Afanasayev wanting out went and thought he could make a play here. He may have f'd up.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think he can even really go to the KHL right now. He's under contract to the Preds. Unless they loaned him. I believe his choice is just to hold out and be suspended. Or play wherever the Preds tell him to play. The NHL and KHL do honor eachother's contracts these days.
:dunno:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I just hope we don't eff this up too badly. At least a 1st or a really good prospect please.
I realize we're not dealing from a position of strength here, but I'm changing the "or" to an "and". He was the 11th overall and has had a couple years of seasoning. If there are multiple teams competing for an offer, I'd think a 1st + good/great prospect is understandable. If not, we wait for the season and injuries to add to the possible drama.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well one look at the main boards and they'll say it'd be neither. :laugh:
If I'm in Trotz's shoes, my biggest temptation would just be wanting to call Askarov's bluff and making him sweat a bit. Sure, getting a 1st round pick or a forward prospect from San Jose might seem ok. But the payoff is still pretty far off in those returns.

Whereas I'd get some immediate satisfaction in just signing Kevin Lankinen, and not answering the phone any time Askarov or his agent tried calling me. Let him actually miss camp and watch Lankinen or Wedgewood take his AHL starting job.

The trade for a pick or prospect can come later, after making him squirm for at least a few months. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad