Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] F Barclay Goodrow claimed by San Jose

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Man I really waffle on Grier. I never thought San Jose would be able to clear out the Burns/Karlsson/Hertl contracts, and he managed to do that and get actual value for them.

Taking on $10M of Goodrow's dead cap and getting nothing in return is absolutely brutal asset management though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Not sure how Drury did it, but he did it!! Thank you for the 3.6M cap room this opened up!

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if the big jump in cap for this year plus the projected big jumps in the future is going to cause cap dumps to not be as negative value.

Back before COVID, the cost to move out money tended to be pretty tame. The only years where teams were paying out a ton of 1sts and 2nds to get out of deals was during the flat cap years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wish it could be known if other teams put in a claim on him to see what that situation looks like but unless there's a side deal in place to compensate for this, this is a bad claim. They can't trade him with retention for another year. If someone else put a waiver claim, they can't trade him w/o putting him back on waivers. I'd prefer to buy him out than to keep him because he's no good during the season.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Grier came from the Rangers and his team needs to reach the cap floor...he did it while helping out his old buddy and bringing in a familiar face to a fanbase that was dead last in ticket sales. Although it's an overpayment of a contract...odds are we were going to overpay someone in free agency anyway. Not to mention 3.6 isn't really going to affect the sharks at all....this will expire the same year Celebrini/Smith come off ELCs and Couture (8M) comes off the books.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Either sign and overpay a FA you gotta deal with later to reach the cap floor or bring back an old fan favorite back for free. Easy choice

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Man I really waffle on Grier. I never thought San Jose would be able to clear out the Burns/Karlsson/Hertl contracts, and he managed to do that and get actual value for them.

Taking on $10M of Goodrow's dead cap and getting nothing in return is absolutely brutal asset management though.
He's done great with what he's had, but not with what he wants.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
San Jose isn’t going to compete for awhile so I don’t think it’s the worst to bring in a vet presence and fan favourite to get the cap floor up, but I don’t see how anyone else would have made a claim. You gotta get some kind of sweetener to take him on. Weaponizing cap space is the the best way to gain assets, so just taking cap on without gaining anything else feels like a waste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad