Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DAL] Ty Dellandrea for 2025 Jets 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
For a 4th rounder, it's a fine risk to take. I don't expect his next contract to be a big deal either but it could very easily be Mike Grier's Lane Pederson trade.
I dont see the analog. At the time of both trades, Dellandrea had more NHL points than Pederson had NHL games. This is a bonafide NHLer vs a potential NHLer.

How is this comparable at all?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
4th rounder? Wow!

1st rounder (13th OA) in 2018). Decent size but meh production at age 23. I would have thought he would return a bit more than that.

RFA coming off a 9-point season, maybe in couple years Stars fans will look back at this deal as a massive blunder but for the time being I think we just figured he couldn't keep his spot in the bottom six all season and was scratched in the playoffs as well.

With guys like Bourque coming up next season Dallas opted to give Delly a fresh start elsewhere. Selfishly I would've prefered a 5th this year over a 4th next year, just to see the return quicker.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I dont see the analog. At the time of both trades, Dellandrea had more NHL points than Pederson had NHL games. This is a bonafide NHLer vs a potential NHLer.

How is this comparable at all?
He may have more games but he's similar age, similar build, and similarly on the fringe at the time of the deal. Dellandrea has played one full season and then this year about half the season. I'm not going to agree that he's a bona fide NHL'er after he regressed in his second season.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Good trade, both teams. SJ gets to see if there’s somethin there at a low cost, Dallas gets assumed highest value.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
He may have more games but he's similar age, similar build, and similarly on the fringe at the time of the deal. Dellandrea has played one full season and then this year about half the season. I'm not going to agree that he's a bona fide NHL'er after he regressed in his second season.
I'd push back on him being on the fringe. Him being scratched had more to do with Dallas' depth than his ability.

I get your point in philosophy, but I think Pederson is not an apt comparable.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd push back on him being on the fringe. Him being scratched had more to do with Dallas' depth than his ability.

I get your point in philosophy, but I think Pederson is not an apt comparable.
That Dallas is likely in the process of losing to a degree and don’t feel a cheap homegrown talent is worth keeping around over a 4th round pick. Sounds like fringe to me.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
That Dallas is likely in the process of losing to a degree and don’t feel a cheap homegrown talent is worth keeping around over a 4th round pick. Sounds like fringe to me.
Centers on Dallas' roster that took faceoffs and played the position this season:
Benn, Duchene, Pavelski, Seguin, Johnston, Hintz, Steele. And they have Bourque coming up who is also a center.

It's very easy to see how Dellandrea got squeezed out. If despite that wealth of center talent and offensive depth he still was a key member of their cup contending bottom six, than it stands to reason he is more than a fringe player and would certainly be more than that on the Sharks.

Factor in the likelihood that the 4th every plays as many games as he does, this is a no brainer and exactly the type of asset the sharks should be all over.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Dellandrea's not really a center, or at least you don't want him playing there. He's a straight-line player. He wasn't really competing for center minutes in Dallas; he's been on the RW pretty much his entire time professionally. The Stars have their wingers take faceoffs depending on what dot they're on and he'd take additional draws on the PK. He was competing primarily with Craig Smith and Dadonov for time.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Centers on Dallas' roster that took faceoffs and played the position this season:
Benn, Duchene, Pavelski, Seguin, Johnston, Hintz, Steele. And they have Bourque coming up who is also a center.

It's very easy to see how Dellandrea got squeezed out. If despite that wealth of center talent and offensive depth he still was a key member of their cup contending bottom six, than it stands to reason he is more than a fringe player and would certainly be more than that on the Sharks.

Factor in the likelihood that the 4th every plays as many games as he does, this is a no brainer and exactly the type of asset the sharks should be all over.
It might be but the probability of it failing is still enormous because Dellandrea hasn't been that good. He isn't and wasn't a key member of their Cup contending bottom six. He was someone that was easy to miss if he wasn't in the games and one they felt that Dadonov was better to keep on the right side than him because that's actually where he got squeezed out since he was a right winger.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad