Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] C Macklin Celebrini signs ELC with the Sharks (3 years, $975k AAV)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What would Sharks fans do if he Yakupov'd?
5SBO.gif

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Probably gonna be great for the first 10 games, fine for the next 20 games, tire out for the next 15-20 games, then go PPG for the last 30 games once he acclimates and other teams start playing down to the Sharks in the doldrums before the playoffs.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You could say that about every single prospect, but in reality there's no comparison between the two. His low end would be someone like Hischier, who is a truly fantastic two way, #1/2C.

Hischier is nearly a point-per-game, 30-goal, 2-way center. I like Celebrini, but there's no way that's his floor.

I guess everyone's floor is technically complete bust, but if we're eliminating absolute extremes, I'd say his somewhat realistic floor is closer to someone like Mikael Backlund. He would need to sustain major injurues to not at least carve out a career like Baklund's.

Note:
Not saying Backulund is likely. In fact, I think a slightly better Hischier is a lot more likely and also a solid expectation overall... but not if the path he find himself on is labeled "nothing is going right".

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Hischier is nearly a point-per-game, 30-goal, 2-way center. I like Celebrini, but there's no way that's his floor.

I guess everyone's floor is technically complete bust, but if we're eliminating absolute extremes, I'd say his somewhat realistic floor is closer to someone like Mikael Backlund. He would need to sustain major injurues to not at least carve out a career like Baklund's.

Note:
Not saying Backulund is likely. In fact, I think a slightly better Hischier is a lot more likely and also a solid expectation overall... but not if the path he find himself on is labeled "nothing is going right".
I'd be shocked if he's not at least slightly under PPG. He's already an excellent two way player with a good motor. Crosby-esque style.

Reactions: weastern bias

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'd be shocked if he's not at least slightly under PPG. He's already an excellent two way player with a good motor. Crosby-esque style.

I'll use Toews an example:

During his 11-year prime from 2009 to 2020, his points-per-game was 0.87.
Goals per game was 2.82 goals over that span, but that's increased by ~11.5% over the last 3 years. That equates to 0.97 points-per-game in today's NHL.

Again - I don't think it's unreasonable to predict this as a possible/likley outcome. I just think this is quite a high bar to set for absolute expectations (and to be shocked if they don't hit that level) for anyone not unanimously considered a generational talent (Crosby, McDavid, etc...).

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'll use Toews an example:

During his 11-year prime from 2009 to 2020, his points-per-game was 0.87.
Goals per game was 2.82 goals over that span, but that's increased by ~11.5% over the last 3 years. That equates to 0.97 points-per-game in today's NHL.

Again - I don't think it's unreasonable to predict this as a possible/likley outcome. I just think this is quite a high bar to set for absolute expectations (and to be shocked if they don't hit that level) for anyone not unanimously considered a generational talent (Crosby, McDavid, etc...).
That's a fair take. I'm pretty high on Celebrini and think he's a level above Toews as a prospect. Obviously remains to be seen how it turns out, but as far as #1 picks go, Hischier is on the lower end (and I love the player). I don't think it's outlandish to think Celebrini will be at least an average #1 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad