Book Feature Sitting on Tretiak: The 1972 Summit Series Play by Play, Volume 1: The Canadian Games (by Grant Douglas Pennell)

Grant D Pennell

May 13, 2018
The 1972 Canada Russia Hockey Series was the greatest series in the history of Sports. The Summit Series games in Canada were all at once, shocking, emotional, passionate, and disappointing. These games had a major impact on Canadian culture, forcing Canadians to unite in a common cause. From the shocking game one Soviet win in Montreal to Phil Esposito's passionate speech in Vancouver, these games shook an entire nation, while reaffirming another.

Author and hockey historian Grant Douglas Pennell takes the never done before step of breaking those games down, moment by moment, analyzing each goal, each player involved, with a view from both the Canadian and Soviet lens. The book also includes a detailed and interesting history of international hockey not only for both countries, but in each Canadian city that the games were played. This book is an utterly new and refreshing and incredibly deep view of the Classic Series.

41haLQjfrGL.jpg

About the Author:
Born and raised in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada in a hockey family, Grant is a long-time sports enthusiast, especially hockey, golf, and basketball. Grant has played hockey for fifty years at various levels, coached and officiated. Grants father Gord Pennell was both a professional player in the Montreal Organization and a long-time junior coach in Manitoba. Grants passion for writing comes from a love for reading that started as a young boy reading sports books, but also classic novels, comics, and anything he could get his hands on. He has long term plans to write several sports books and is proud of his first published book " Sitting on Tretiak" The 1972 Summit Series Play by Play- The Canadian games, which is getting glowing reviews. A sequel is in the works " Waving at Brezhnev, The Summit Series Play by Play Volume 2. The European Games.

Grant currently lives in Toronto Canada, plays Oldtimers hockey, manages a golf course and a self-professed Facebook hockey debater!

A Snippet from the book:

Goal 5: Kharlamov Soviets 3 Canada 2

If Zimin’s first goal of the game for the Soviets was historic, this goal was the one that woke up the Canadian hockey world. Fans, historians, and players still recount this goal as the first sign the Soviets were not only ultra-skilled and cohesive as a team, but they also possessed dynamic individual stars. The goal happens on an extremely poor shift by the 5 Canadian players on the ice. As the puck goes into Canada’s zone Don Awrey attempts to skate and stickhandle it out; over stick handling was a major issue for Canada in this game instead of head manning the puck or simply getting it out of Canada’s end. He ends up getting checked by Kharlamov who tries to send a pass to the right point.
Rod Gilbert intercepts Kharlamov's pass, and lazily starts to skate to centre ice with the puck. Kharlamov accelerates, catches Gilbert easily, strips him of the puck and makes a slick between his legs pass to Maltsev. Canada is able to get the puck back as Ratelle carries the puck deep into the Soviet zone, but his weak backhanded effort is deflected behind the Soviet net by Maltsev. As Maltsev goes for the puck, in the far corner, both Gilbert and Hadfield attempt to body check him. Maltsev jumps out of the way, keeps his balance, and flies up the ice head manning it to Kharlamov, trapping the two New York Rangers’ forwards deep.
Why was Maltsev able to get out of the way of the body check? The answer goes back to the father of Soviet hockey, Anatoli Tarasov, his teaching and preparing the Soviets to face and defeat the best Canadians. In 1957 Tarasov was interviewed at a Toronto Maple Leaf’s versus Chicago Black Hawks game regarding Canadian body checking. His response?
“We are not learning how to do it. We are learning how to avoid it.’’ Anatoli Tarasov
While the Soviets could hit and would hit, when necessary, their game was founded and perfected on quick puck movements and counter strikes. Rather than play the Canadians at their own game, they worked on a system to use their opponent's aggression against them. While that included the Soviet players delivering body contact when required, the actual Soviet goal was to use the opponent’s physical play against them by being able to anticipate and shrug off body contact, leaving the opposing player out of position. The training of the Soviet players to have superior fitness and core strength allowed for superior balance and agility as demonstrated by Maltsev on this play. Their team play emphasized fast, accurate passing which allowed them to create quick strike scenarios. Like a boxing counterpuncher, the Soviet player would either take the hit and counterpunch by moving the puck very quickly, leaving their opponent out of position, or avoid the hit as Maltsev does and trapping the Ranger forwards deep.
When Kharlamov received Maltsev’s pass, it should be noted that he had two full zones to carry the puck uncontested. This allowed the extremely fast Valeri Kharlamov to get to what was probably a very uncomfortable speed for the rapidly retreating Awrey and Seiling. In fact, they were already backing up into their own zone as Valeri was not yet at his opponent's blue line. This left a large gap between them that allowed Kharlamov to blow by Awrey on the outside (Awrey’s left). As Kharlamov gets closer, Awrey tries a poke check that fails as Kharlamov stickhandles the puck away from Awrey’s stick without any drop in speed, a significant skill for anyone.
Awrey is in big trouble. Because of that gap, and with Kharlamov’s speed, by the time the Canadian turned, Kharlamov was already a step past him. The gap between them needed to have been closed at the blue line as Kharlamov could have been angled into the boards with Seiling acting as a plan B for any Soviet players attempting to break to the net in anticipation of a Kharlamov pass. Accelerating with every quick stride, Kharlamov goes quite wide on Awrey, just outside the Canadian faceoff circle, as Awrey does a last-ditch diving attempt for the puck, similar to Park’s diving attempt on the Petrov shorthanded goal. Kharlamov was a fantastic skater and his edging as he turns towards the Canadian goal allows him to not only get a better angle to shoot on Dryden, but to move the puck to his forehand for the shot. Kharlamov is able to move to his forehand, but he was still at a sharp angle when he shot. Dryden plays the shot very poorly and it goes between his pads into the net. This was not an angle that any player should have been able to score from unless they were able to cut across the crease or shoot to the far post quickly and accurately. Kharlamov does neither of these things, and Dryden simply allows a shot from a bad angle through his pads.
This goal was a combination of a fantastic individual talent making a world class, legendary rush, and a full ice Canadian breakdown. While the two Canadian forwards Gilbert and Hadfield were trapped deep from the clever Maltsev manoeuvre, Ratelle is seen back checking through centre ice, but despite being a very strong skater, Ratelle never catches up to the play. Awrey has poor timing on the rush and misplays the one on one, but the real issue on this goal was Ken Dryden. A world class goalie simply does not let in a shot from a bad angle through his pads. Unfortunately for Canada, this would not be the end of Dryden’s mishaps this game or for the Series

Available at Amazon, Hard cover, Paperback and Kindle.

Attachments

• B0BV7FZQWD_549c0671_cover.jpeg
    B0BV7FZQWD_549c0671_cover.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Thank you very much for joining us! I haven't read your book yet, but I sure will as it sounds very interesting.

Grant, how much time did it take for you to analyze each game one play after the other? In other words, how long did you work on this book?

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I just ordered this book, and am looking forward to it. All the early reviews I've seen are very positive.

I hate to rush you, but is there an estimate on when the second book will be released?

Grant D Pennell

May 13, 2018
Is there expected to be a hardcover edition? And will both parts ever be released together, or will they always be separate volumes?
Yes hardcover, paperback and kindle versions are is available now, and I do plan to release both together as a set as well as individually.

I bet Frank Mahovlich just loves the title of the book!
Ha ha . The weird thing is, Frank thought it was a “good hockey play”. I felt it was the rock bottom moment for Team Canada and a huge moment of disenchantment, disappointment and disbelief for the Canadian people

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The weird thing is, Frank thought it was a “good hockey play”. I felt it was the rock bottom moment for Team Canada and a huge moment of disenchantment, disappointment and disbelief for the Canadian people
IIRC, Phil Esposito also thought it was a 'great play' and said something to that effect in his book.

I've always wondered what would've happened if Canada had scored a goal when Tretyak was totally out of the play; I guess it would have been allowed? But the Vancouver crowd certainly let Mahovlich have it right away (BOOOOO).

Grant D Pennell

May 13, 2018
I was part of a group that was interviewing Mikhailov and Yakushev but otherwise I did the research myself . I felt other books on the summit already did interviews with the players etc. My plan was different . I wanted to analyze the games in great depth, moment by moment, with some historical background on the player who scored or made a certain play, and really call it like I see it . If Brad park made a poor play I call it out , if Gusev gave the puck up , I mentioned that etc etc.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I take it for granted that the play by play analysis wasn't your first viewing of the 1972 Summit Series. But has that analysis changed your opinion on specific players respectively their performance in the series?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I was part of a group that was interviewing Mikhailov and Yakushev but otherwise I did the research myself . I felt other books on the summit already did interviews with the players etc. My plan was different . I wanted to analyze the games in great depth, moment by moment, with some historical background on the player who scored or made a certain play, and really call it like I see it . If Brad park made a poor play I call it out , if Gusev gave the puck up , I mentioned that etc etc.
My hardcover copy is now on the way.

Just curious, did you do anything to track/count all the instances of a player doing good or bad things on the ice? It would be neat to have a little microstats package.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Sigh. The last thing I need is yet another hockey book waiting to be read … but sometimes want trumps need, and I just ordered it now. Thanks for sharing your process with the board, Grant. Appreciated.

Quick question: do you comment at all on the coaching — in particular, the in-game decisions/moves?

Reactions: seventieslord

Grant D Pennell

May 13, 2018
I take it for granted that the play by play analysis wasn't your first viewing of the 1972 Summit Series. But has that analysis changed your opinion on specific players respectively their performance in the series?
Great Question! I think that player analysis was probably the single biggest surprise for when I did the play by play deep dives . You would have to read the book to get the full insight, but I think the biggest surprise was the play of Brad park in Canada . His defensive positioning was often very poor, and for every good play he made, he flopped to the ice or stickhandled through the neutral zone leading to a turnover. The play of Vic Hadfield was much more positive than legend has it. On the Soviet side Gusev on defence really struggled was probably the biggest revelation. Positive for the Soviets ? Unheralded Mishakov who was a superb penalty killer.
Overall the deep look at the games shatters some long held assumptions and myths about players , especially on team Canada .

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I think the biggest surprise was the play of Brad park in Canada . His defensive positioning was often very poor, and for every good play he made, he flopped to the ice or stickhandled through the neutral zone leading to a turnover.

Anatoli Tarasov would agree! Here's what he wrote after the series:

"The audience was struck by the fine technical skill of Park, his ability to instantly turn into a forward and to participate successfully in the development and completion of an attack. That is certainly true, but we on our part have a different taste and different ideals. (...)
It would be naive to deny the many strengths this hockey player has – most of all, his fine technical tools: Park handles the puck very well, holds on to it tenaciously and makes elegant use of stickhandling feints. He is cool, strong and brave in close combat. His aesthetically pleasing manner of playing is perhaps the main factor that earns his mastership so much admiration. (...)
I do not agree with the opinion that Park was the best defenceman of Team Canada. (...) For some reason, his fans have forgotten that he more than once lost an individual combat and was responsible for a goal conceded by his team. Park was focused on attacking, he lacked an accurate and patient defensive game."

Grant D Pennell

May 13, 2018
My hardcover copy is now on the way.

Just curious, did you do anything to track/count all the instances of a player doing good or bad things on the ice? It would be neat to have a little microstats package.
No I didn’t do that , but yes that could have been easily done . I think the interesting view was on how each goal came about for either team and the defensive mistakes , combined with the offensive plays that led to each goal was fascinating to me and enlightening to the readers . A series of dominos falling per say leading to the goal. If Ragulin or whomever plays the body then cashman or whomever can’t make the play to the point, if a Soviet player covers the point then the next play doesn’t happen etc etc….

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
This is such an interesting project and something I once did when re-watching the third game of the 1987 Canada Cup. I muted the play-by-play and colour commentary and simply dissected each goal. Let’s just say that the so-called “heroes” on both teams were typically high event players who were often the direct cause of goals against. Eye opening.

Of course, my little 2020 pandemic diversion for an afternoon doesn’t hold a candle to the monster task you undertook. I’m sure it was a labour of love.

Did you also break down any of the three exhibition games (vs. Sweden x 2 and Czechoslovakia x 1) in Europe? Just curious, given that some of the Canada players (Redmond, Glennie, Dionne, Martin, Guevremont, Tallon) only suited up in one or more of those games.

Last question: Stan Mikita only dressed for two games in the series (games 2 and 3 in Canada, plus a game against Sweden and the post-series tilt against the Czechs). I’ve never understood why. Any thoughts based on your analysis?

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Interested to hear what you think about Phil Esposito's play. I'm not trying to claim that he wasn't the biggest hero of the series, but he also did poorly vs Vladimir Shadrin's line; IIRC, him losing faceoffs to Shadrin ("100-0") led to three Soviet goals in Moscow. Espo did very well vs Petrov's line, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad