Since 2008 only 4 goalies who have won the cup were a net negative to their team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
GQCjKTwXwAA-dPe.jpeg

2022 avalanche winning the cup when Kuemper was a sieve is amazing. Hill was low-key an mvp last season and I legit feel he might have saved the season against the Oilers.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Adin Hill having the 2nd highest GSAX but not winning the smythe that year really makes me question the voting committee's criteria. I get he's not a big name goalie like the majority of guys to win it, but I can't help but think they'd throw the smythe at any other star goalie if they put up those numbers. It's not like Marchessault was a unanimous shoe in either.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Keep in mind Kuemper was top five in the regular season in both SV% and GSAx and then suffered an eye injury in the first round of the playoffs that caused him to miss time.

His overall playoff numbers were not good, but let's not act like he was a scrub either.

Last edited:

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Adin Hill having the 2nd highest GSAX but not winning the smythe that year really makes me question the voting committee's criteria. I get he's not a big name goalie like the majority of guys to win it, but I can't help but think they'd throw the smythe at any other star goalie if they put up those numbers. It's not like Marchessault was a unanimous shoe in either.
The criteria is name recognition and the feels. Always has been.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

Part of it is likely that he only started in 14 games, Brossoit had the other 8.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Binnington and Niemi surprise me.
Niemi being a fairly clear net-positive on goals saved above expected, while Binnington being a slight negative makes me feel like I experienced alternative realities during those playoffs.

That year in the finals Flyers had trash goalies also.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Binnington and Niemi surprise me.
Niemi being a fairly clear net-positive on goals saved above expected, while Binnington being a slight negative makes me feel like I experienced alternative realities during those playoffs.

The problem with binningtons run is he had games where he just shit the bed, usually once a series giving up at least 5+ goals but nobody remembers that because of how he played in the games that matter.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
The institution of goaltending is important.

The individuals are not.

Look at some of those names that had great runs.

Also the fact that four goalies playing bad have won Cups int he last 16 years is not an own. That's a f***ing quarter of them LMAO.
I don't know... Sounds like some commie gobledegook to me.

There are many ways to build a cup contender. That doesn't mean you get to devalue a whole position like that. If McDavid never wins a cup despite stellar performances like Henrik Lundqvist, would you say individual forwards aren't important.

Quick was key in the Kings' first cup. Some goalies are definitely better than others. I might not as readily give out big contracts over small sample sizes as I would for forwards, but GMs make mistakes on forwards all the time.

Couldn't you say "The institution of hockey team is important; the individuals are not?" :)

In short, agree to disagree.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't know... Sounds like some commie gobledegook to me.

There are many ways to build a cup contender. That doesn't mean you get to devalue a whole position like that. If McDavid never wins a cup despite stellar performances like Henrik Lundqvist, would you say individual forwards aren't important.

Quick was key in the Kings' first cup. Some goalies are definitely better than others. I might not as readily give out big contracts over small sample sizes as I would for forwards, but GMs make mistakes on forwards all the time.

Couldn't you say "The institution of hockey team is important; the individuals are not?" :)

In short, agree to disagree.
I don't think it's not important because great goalies don't win. I think it's not important because garbage goalies do win.
Did you really just try to prove your point by calling goalies 0,0x under expected "[playing] bad"?
Yeah?

That's what they're doing.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah?

It's 1 goal in 20 games below expected. It's the difference between Blues losing game 3 of the finals 6-2 or 7-2. It's consensus that Binnington was great in those PO. But sure you want to throw around blanket statements removing any possible nuance based on the slimmest possible margin, a line drawn in the sand, because it serves your narrative.

Frankly, I don't even know your narrative or why you were tagged. But your take on the usage of these stats is just.. desperate, for lack of a better term.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I don't think it's not important because great goalies don't win. I think it's not important because garbage goalies do win.

Yeah?

Sure, but so do garbage forwards and garbage d-men. What makes that less noticeable is that there are more of them. Letang went down and the Pens STILL won the cup. :)

I don't know... I'd still rather want to be secure in net if it doesn't HURT my chances. The Bruins wouldn't have won without Thomas. I know you said it's not because great goalies don't win, but that garbage goalies can win. The problem is that terrible goaltending can absolutely SINK a team as well.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
They should also break out number of positive games versus number of negative games. 2 or 3 stinkers on in an otherwise solid run could show something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad