Since 1989-90... give me your best, peak condition, Team Canada, Team USA, or Team Europe

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
The Tim Thomas slander has gotten out of hand. I thought it was just people joking around but it seems people genuinely believe he sucked.

I was thrilled for him way back when. He’d been a character years prior for AIK in the SEL, I’d just about forgotten about him and now he was in his mid-30s, killing it for the Bruins, with an entertaining style to boot. Can’t help it that I’m noticing Chara, Seidenberg and a million rebounds more when I go back and watch him.

And that for the national team, with strong rosters (relative to the competition at World Championships: granted that some big names are quite young), he really didn’t do well. The Latvia game was ugly, if I give him one unlucky freebie then only two of the six goals allowed were ones I’d bail him out for. He was older and had a short NHL prime, I get it, but considering the US’ depth in goaltending, I do think there’s enough doubt to cast as to Thomas’ abilities without the team being entirely suited for covering up his flaws.

But I admit considering 2006 Olympic Niittymäki for my Team Europe goalie trio.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Is ~50 games-into-career Tuukka Rask the benchmark for greatness?

Tim Thomas in DPE 2.0 is just Roman Cechmanek in DPE 1.0, the only difference is, there were other goalies in the league when Cechmanek played. They're both clumsy also-rans on the averaging stats blooper reel...
Rask had career high SV% and GAA in 2009-10 on a not elite scoring Bruins squad.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Rask had career high SV% and GAA in 2009-10 on a not elite scoring Bruins squad.
I am not sure in which direction to read this, is that enforcing Farkas point that those bruins helped the goaltender save percentage a lot, but what would the Bruins not being elite at scoring mean either way in that context.

Or saying Rask was already good at 22.

Reactions: Dingo

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Everyone can read a box score. There's a reason that's on display so much when talking about goaltenders specifically...most people can't read goalies/goaltending.
My brother was a D1 recruited goalie (Northeastern Coach Bell in my LR) in 1968-69 season. I think I know what a good goalie looks like beyond a box score.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Tim Thomas didn't suck, but he does fall in the category of systems goalies that have eye-popping stats because of who is in front of them. A better Brian Elliott if you will.

In terms of post-lockout American goalies, Quick is just a clear-cut better goalie. Hellebucyk is too, playoff woes notwithstanding.

If you are making a post-1990 American team, I don't know how you could have a starter other than Jon Quick. He's got sound positioning, longevity, peak performance, and a tremendous playoff resume. He's everything you want, and played well in front of deep defensive teams and kept it up when the Kings were weaker.

Talk about irony...are we pretending Quick didnt play in front of Doughty/Kopitar? And despite being behind those 2 didnt put up better #s than Thomas?

He also had the eye-popping flashy style.

Bruins from 2009 to 2012 had .922 save percentage when Thomas was not playing, but also had impressive number 2 in net (Rask-Fernandez), thus why both narrative will continue to always exist at the same time, because it can be Rask was really good, Julien-Chara team was really good at preventing high danger shots or obviously a mix of both.

Yup, such good high danger suppresion...

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Is the expectation that the Bruins didn't give up any chances? Also, how many of those "highlight reel" saves are a product of his sloppiness?

Has enough time gone by that we really need to litigate this again?

We got a video of saves, what about the goals that he can give up from anywhere? Outside the dots, behind the net, off bad puck play, off of awful rebounds, pucks just going through him from 45 feet away, etc.

Averaging stats are for losers. Ratios don't win game. No one sorts forwards by shooting percentage. Why would save pct. be so untouchably gospel...?

In the magical 2011 run, Thomas' numbers are just as random and unreliable as his style of play might indicate...

He gave up 3 or more goals 9 (!) times. Littered with many bad goals at bad times that put several series in jeopardy.

Jonathan Quick in 2012, for comparison, gave up 3 or more goals just two times (both were 3 exactly). There was maybe one soft goal in the whole run, and as such, no series was ever in any doubt.

It's not even a little bit close, those runs. They're almost polar opposites. Even though the averaging stats bring them together.

If we want to dig into the technicals around Tim Thomas and why he didn't work anywhere else of note and why Boston's defensive structure propped up his save pct. to the degree that it did, I'd be happy to go down that road. It's what I do all day anyhow basically haha

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Is the expectation that the Bruins didn't give up any chances? Also, how many of those "highlight reel" saves are a product of his sloppiness?

Has enough time gone by that we really need to litigate this again?

We got a video of saves, what about the goals that he can give up from anywhere? Outside the dots, behind the net, off bad puck play, off of awful rebounds, pucks just going through him from 45 feet away, etc.

Averaging stats are for losers. Ratios don't win game. No one sorts forwards by shooting percentage. Why would save pct. be so untouchably gospel...?

In the magical 2011 run, Thomas' numbers are just as random and unreliable as his style of play might indicate...

He gave up 3 or more goals 9 (!) times. Littered with many bad goals at bad times that put several series in jeopardy.

Jonathan Quick in 2012, for comparison, gave up 3 or more goals just two times (both were 3 exactly). There was maybe one soft goal in the whole run, and as such, no series was ever in any doubt.

It's not even a little bit close, those runs. They're almost polar opposites. Even though the averaging stats bring them together.

If we want to dig into the technicals around Tim Thomas and why he didn't work anywhere else of note and why Boston's defensive structure propped up his save pct. to the degree that it did, I'd be happy to go down that road. It's what I do all day anyhow basically haha

difference between shooting % and save % is that if a skater isnt in position to take a shot he doesnt get one. If a goalie isnt in position to save a puck, it immediately counts against his % because its a goal.

shooting % is the last part, just the shooting part, of a player's offensive abilities. save% is the whole thing EXCEPT i do concede that obviously quality of shots due to team defence is big. However, so is quality of linemates in offensive counting stats.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
What is a Goalie but averages...? This doesn't make sense. Goalie job is to stop pucks.
Why would a goalie be "averages" and not any other player? Why are they the exception? It's anchoring bias. That's how the public data has been presented to you your whole life, so therefore it has intrinsic value to you (royal you). But does it?

Most of the very best save pct. performances in Stanley Cup Playoff history are all first round exits. Saves don't have any value on their face...it's the expected result. 98% of unscreened, un-deflected shots are stopped.

So, once again, I regret to inform everyone that there's no easy button. The easiest way to go about it is to evaluate goals against. And I don't mean just the totals...but the quality and timeliness of the goals against. Nothing affects a bench more than a bad goal against. That really lets the air out of the balloon for a team. Given how highlights are cut up, it'd be relatively easy to evaluate goalies on just the goals they give up and that would paint a better picture than the one we have now.

But, if a goalie's job is to stop pucks - reductive as that may be - why would you be interested in how many times per game he made saves? Or allowed goals (it's hard to ascertain your meaning)?

Which goalie do you want?

Goals against of: 10, 1, 1, 0, 0
or
Goals against of: 3, 3, 4, 2, 0

2ish GAA for both. In the scoring environment we're talking about, we probably are down 3 games to 2 with that second goalie. Maybe we're up 3-2. With the first goalie, we've almost certainly advanced already.

It's just shorthand silliness to avoid proper talent evaluation. And I'm not saying it doesn't make sense...and I'm not saying save pct. is completely worthless (that exercise was done recently here)...but we don't take hardly any skaters stats as pure gospel. We adjust points and explain away plus/minus and all this - and that's right too...but for some reason, we think save pct. is just impervious...doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't make sense to other people that evaluate goalies either.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I was thrilled for him way back when. He’d been a character years prior for AIK in the SEL, I’d just about forgotten about him and now he was in his mid-30s, killing it for the Bruins, with an entertaining style to boot. Can’t help it that I’m noticing Chara, Seidenberg and a million rebounds more when I go back and watch him.

And that for the national team, with strong rosters (relative to the competition at World Championships: granted that some big names are quite young), he really didn’t do well. The Latvia game was ugly, if I give him one unlucky freebie then only two of the six goals allowed were ones I’d bail him out for. He was older and had a short NHL prime, I get it, but considering the US’ depth in goaltending, I do think there’s enough doubt to cast as to Thomas’ abilities without the team being entirely suited for covering up his flaws.

But I admit considering 2006 Olympic Niittymäki for my Team Europe goalie trio.
Well, Finland had a great defence for those 7 games. If Nittymaki is worth consideration then surely Thomas is for being the best goalie for two seasons plus one playoffs? Especially when considering the competition.... surely Hasek, Vasilevsky and Lundqvist are harder to oust than Quick, Hellebuyck and..... Richter, Beezer, Miller?

BUT, we are on a history board and I have many times brought up what that Finnish coach said when Kiprussoff (oh, theres another candidate hard to oust) declined to play for them in 2006, "The player I want is the player who wants to play for us" Then goes and makes Nittymaki look like a one goal away from Miracle goalie. Brilliant sporting moment. Underappreciated historically over here, at least.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why would we treat not similar positions the same? Skaters create their chances. A skater that creates chances = good. Goalies don’t “create” save opportunities. They happen to them.

Reactions: Dingo

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Yup, such good high danger suppresion...
Would any goaltender compilation of their best saves not be all high danger chance shot ?

Most of the very best save pct. performances in Stanley Cup Playoff history are all first round exits. Saves don't have any value on their face...it's the expected result. 98% of unscreened, un-deflected shots are stopped.
So is the best goal per games scored.... that almost just saying most of the per games (high or low) happened in the lowest amount of games... Does it tell us that scoring goals does not do much ?

The very best first round save percentage will be mostly first round win.

just present the information 1-save percentage, has goal let in percentage to have the not expected result, which I tend to agree tell us more the information.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
EXCEPT i do concede that obviously quality of shots due to team defence is big.
Precisely. And since you're saying, "it's the only thing" for goalies...we're putting all of our faith in one stat, but have no interest in accounting for its known variables.

And it's not like the results are clean, ya know? If the all time leaders in save pct were: Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, Plante, Price...there'd be better things for us to discuss.

The last save pct. leaders are:
Anthony Stolarz
Linus Ullmark
Shestyorkin (ok fine)
Nedeljkovic
Khudobin
Ben Bishop
Carter Hutton
Bobrovsky
Brian Elliott
Carey Price (ok fine)
Josh Harding
Craig Anderson
Brian Elliott...again...
Tim Thomas
Tuukka Rask
Tim Thomas
Dan Ellis
Niklas Backstrom

It doesn't really have a lot going for it...there are trends...there's ways to explain some of these. But for some reason that's verboten...when Chris Kunitz finishes top 10 or whatever in whatever (who cares) and makes the Olympic team...he's a product of Sidney Crosby.

When Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has 100 points (or anything over 70) for the first time outside of his athletic prime, it's because of Connor McDavid.

When a minor leaguer has a really good save pct. at the age of 36 out of nowhere...it's a testament to modern medicine...? haha

What did he do? Just practice really hard those two non-consecutive years? But was only kind of interested for the rest of 15 year or whatever pro career...?

I just don't get the logic behind the defense. Why would this - of all things - be taken at face value and celebrated? Why wouldn't someone interested in the game take a deeper look at why this happened?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The very best first round save percentage will be mostly first round win
Playoff-Save-Pct.jpg

Not lookin' like it...

Why would we treat not similar positions the same? Skaters create their chances. A skater that creates chances = good. Goalies don’t “create” save opportunities. They happen to them.
Respectfully, I don't believe that that addresses anything that I said - if it was directed towards me. I also don't necessarily agree with the premise of this. Even if the words make some sense, it's conceptually reductive.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why would a goalie be "averages" and not any other player? Why are they the exception? It's anchoring bias. That's how the public data has been presented to you your whole life, so therefore it has intrinsic value to you (royal you). But does it?
I think you think you're saying something here, but of course not, skaters (especially 5 on 5) play a free-flowing game, up and down, sometimes a team has possession a lot longer, some teams create more dangerous opportunities. So we don't care as much about "averages" because doing things like controlling possession, creating more chances, very valuable. How does that relate to goaltenders?
yes, this is how small sample sizes work. Sam Gagner had 8 points one game, that doesn't make him the best player ever at peak value because of that one game
So, once again, I regret to inform everyone that there's no easy button.
Nobody said it was...
The easiest way to go about it is to evaluate goals against.
So one rate stat for a different one..?
And I don't mean just the totals...but the quality and timeliness of the goals against. Nothing affects a bench more than a bad goal against. That really lets the air out of the balloon for a team.
Ok, so not save % or GAA, but the "Michael Farkas Certified Bad Goal Against That Really Lets the Air out of a Balloon"... that's still an averaging/rate stat. If you don't like save %, fine, I doubt anyone considers a certified end all be all, sort by SV%, call it a day and be done. Whether you use a real or hypothetical different measure, you're still measuring a goaltender by a rate, based on shots faced, minutes played, you have to. It's the nature of the position in the sport they play. In baseball, we measure everything by rate, because how else can you? By plate appearances or pitches thrown just shows how much a manager believed in you/how they viewed you compared to alternative options, but it says nothing about actual performance. Similar to a goaltender. You can make a note if a guy started 65 games a bunch of years in a row and the implication of that, but the performance itself is going to be rate-based.
Given how highlights are cut up, it'd be relatively easy to evaluate goalies on just the goals they give up and that would paint a better picture than the one we have now.
It'd be relatively easy? Interesting theory... So you only look at the goals given up and not the save made? Why not both?
But, if a goalie's job is to stop pucks - reductive as that may be - why would you be interested in how many times per game he made saves?
For one, it's a measure of how effectively he was in fact stopping pucks. If you think a 5 save shutout is the same as a 50 save shutout, that's a different one for me.
Or allowed goals (it's hard to ascertain your meaning)?

Which goalie do you want?

Goals against of: 10, 1, 1, 0, 0
or
Goals against of: 3, 3, 4, 2, 0
2ish GAA for both. In the scoring environment we're talking about, we probably are down 3 games to 2 with that second goalie. Maybe we're up 3-2. With the first goalie, we've almost certainly advanced already.
Now you're just talking about about distribution/variance. Can do that all day? Would you rather have the guy that has 12 hat tricks and doesn't score any other time or the guy that scores 1 goal in 36 different games? We can of course look back on an actual distribution/variance, it's less certain what we can glean out of that if we're looking at a go-forward basis in terms of "which goalie do you want next season?"
It's just shorthand silliness to avoid proper talent evaluation.
It's a tool, like every other tool. We look at a forwards goals/point totals and make a determination out of that.. it's a shorthand, and it may mean less "proper talent evaluation" which is a subjective thing with plenty of room for disagreement.
And I'm not saying it doesn't make sense...and I'm not saying save pct. is completely worthless (that exercise was done recently here)...but we don't take hardly any skaters stats as pure gospel.
Calling save percentage "pure gospel" is a strawman. I don't think Ben Bishop is treated as a top all time goaltender for instance.
We adjust points and explain away plus/minus and all this - and that's right too...but for some reason, we think save pct. is just impervious...
Yes that would be bad if people were doing this. Luckily, that doesn't happen. Now when we go too far the other way and use our "proper talent evaluation" and ignore performance based metrics.. it starts to just look like a person with a bias that doesn't want to come off their preconceived notions.
doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't make sense to other people that evaluate goalies either.
Not sure who this appeal to authority is directed at.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Respectfully, I don't believe that that addresses anything that I said - if it was directed towards me. I also don't necessarily agree with the premise of this. Even if the words make some sense, it's conceptually reductive.
and with the same respect, I don't think you have much of a point, the Michael Farkas "Certified Bad Goal Against That Really Lets the Air out of a Balloon" could in fact be the proper way to evaluate a goaltender but to compare "we don't care that much forwards shooting %, so why care about a goalie save %" is just an illogical, completely reductive comparison, which may as well be asking "why do we care about how tall a basketball center is when we don't care about how tall a baseball shortstop is?"

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Precisely. And since you're saying, "it's the only thing" for goalies...we're putting all of our faith in one stat, but have no interest in accounting for its known variables.

And it's not like the results are clean, ya know? If the all time leaders in save pct were: Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, Plante, Price...there'd be better things for us to discuss.

The last save pct. leaders are:
Anthony Stolarz
Linus Ullmark
Shestyorkin (ok fine)
Nedeljkovic
Khudobin
Ben Bishop
Carter Hutton
Bobrovsky
Brian Elliott
Carey Price (ok fine)
Josh Harding
Craig Anderson
Brian Elliott...again...
Tim Thomas
Tuukka Rask
Tim Thomas
Dan Ellis
Niklas Backstrom

It doesn't really have a lot going for it...there are trends...there's ways to explain some of these. But for some reason that's verboten...when Chris Kunitz finishes top 10 or whatever in whatever (who cares) and makes the Olympic team...he's a product of Sidney Crosby.

When Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has 100 points (or anything over 70) for the first time outside of his athletic prime, it's because of Connor McDavid.

When a minor leaguer has a really good save pct. at the age of 36 out of nowhere...it's a testament to modern medicine...? haha

What did he do? Just practice really hard those two non-consecutive years? But was only kind of interested for the rest of 15 year or whatever pro career...?

I just don't get the logic behind the defense. Why would this - of all things - be taken at face value and celebrated? Why wouldn't someone interested in the game take a deeper look at why this happened?

well, thats obvious. We adjust for era all the time. If there are around ten guys in the early 2010s at around a .920 it doesnt compare to Hasek's .922.

We also need to, much like points per game, stop letting these guys down their career average by playing well after 35.

Leading the league in save % twice is a pretty awesome feat, much like winning two art rosses. The actual numbers dont matter as much as the feat itself.

The NHL is not a static 'track' or 'bar' it is an ocean of components. Usain Bolt really ran faster than Carl Lewis. We can't say the same about one Art Ross winner to another, only speculate. Maybe the perfect storm happened regarding linemates and opponents and injuries for someone to win a Ross or lead in save%, but TWICE? You might be very lucky, but you would have to think that player is also at least good.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Not lookin' like it...
Is that a single playoff round or single playoff ?

I think I was not clear here, Brodeur .962 against Boston in 1995 for example is not there, he won in 5. Patrick Roy in the 1996 finals was .974 and won in 4.

If we look at the top 50 best round save percentage, we would see a lot more of wins than lost in there.

If you talk for a complete playoff run, the per game extreme leader will be those who played a little amount of games obviously.

The bset goal per games performance will also be first round looser, how that fact should change how we look at scoring goals ?

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Is that a single playoff round or single playoff ?

I think I was not clear here, Brodeur .962 against Boston in 1995 for example is not there, he won in 5.

If you talk for a complete playoff run, the per game extreme leader will be those who played a little amount of games obviously.

The bset goal per games performance will also be first round looser, how that fact should change how we look at scoring goals ?

Looks like single playoff but they all pretty much amount to 1st round

1968 Parent was 1st round, Philly got knocked out 3-2
1969 Vachon gets an asterisk, the Cup Finals were against the expansion Blues
2017 Rinne graphic appears to be early in round 2, he finished that run at .930
2007 Turco was 1st round only, lost 4-3
1994 Hasek was 1st round only, lost 4-3
1969 Plante was a beast, but only played 2 games in the Finals (.903 in the 2) so that is boosted by 8 against expansion teams.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
well, thats obvious. We adjust for era all the time. If there are around ten guys in the early 2010s at around a .920 it doesnt compare to Hasek's .922.

We also need to, much like points per game, stop letting these guys down their career average by playing well after 35.

Leading the league in save % twice is a pretty awesome feat, much like winning two art rosses. The actual numbers dont matter as much as the feat itself.

The NHL is not a static 'track' or 'bar' it is an ocean of components. Usain Bolt really ran faster than Carl Lewis. We can't say the same about one Art Ross winner to another, only speculate. Maybe the perfect storm happened regarding linemates and opponents and injuries for someone to win a Ross or lead in save%, but TWICE? You might be very lucky, but you would have to think that player is also at least good.

Thing is Thomas didnt just eek out his wins either.

Both of his sv% titles were by nearly .010 (.933 vs .926 in 2009 and .938 vs .930 in 2011). He was equally dominant in GSAA (41 vs 32 in 2009 and 46 vs 32 in 2011) For what it's worth, those 2 GSAAs are higher than Price's Hart season (36.7)

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Looks like single playoff but they all pretty much amount to 1st round
Yes but they do not compare people that won the playoff round (and thus went on to play a lot of game and have more normal numbers, they compare to their longer playoff round)

If we do that exercise for scoring glaos: A long list of the leader would be first round looser (long list of star forward with 0 gpg as well):

Since 74-75, gpg leader:

No one in the top 10 won a round.....

Who would point that out thinking it say something about the value of scoring goals to win playoff round, if all the best goalscoring performance never reached round 2 ? Would it not be obvious, that per games extreme pop-up in low amount of games (in high and low direction) ?

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yes but they do not compare people that won the playoff round (and thus went on to play a lot of game and have more normal numbers, they compare to their longer playoff round)

If we do that exercise for scoring glaos: A long list of the leader would be first round looser (long list of star forward with 0 gpg as well):

Since 74-75, gpg leader:

No one in the top 10 won a round.....

Who would point that out thinking it say something about the value of scoring goals to win playoff round ? Would it not be obvious, that per games extreme pop-up in low amount of games (in high and low direction) ?

Agreed, Im on your side of the fence. Way too easy on a per game basis to get a 1 round flash in the pan. Especially in round 1 where you on average face the weakest opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad