• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The biggest thing was:
  • Coming into the season he wasn't considered a top 10 pick (Iginla is another name)
  • His Hlinka tournament was just fine where Catton was a star.
  • Lindstrom was rising on lists fast prior to his injury.
  • With his injury the sample size of top 10/5/3 worthy play comes down to 32 games. So the sample size goes against him.
  • While you're not playing, other players are, so the progression of those players get mapped while Lindstrom gets an incomplete.
  • The injury led to a back injury and with only a few play-off games and then missing more time because he wasn't fully healed, especially with a bank injury, puts some volatility in his stock.
He may still go top 3/4 which is why I'm not holding my breath we will get a shot on him, but that's my summation as to why his stock has dropped in public spheres.
Thanks for laying things out this way.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
This is a weird draft where I don't really have my heart set on anyone. I can pretty much make a case for any player we end up taking.

Even Parekh, despite me not wanting to take a D in any scenario, I could live with due to his dynamic nature.

Eiserman - score a ton. Enough said.

Iginla - Son of a HOF and has had a great second half. Looks like a better pick every day.

Lindstrom - A Slaf that plays C.

Catton - by all accounts, skilled as hell.

Demidov - See above, insane skill.

Celebrini - no comment needed.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Sell me on Lindstrom other than his size. Think everyone is just getting obsessed with that factor. McCarron had size too..
Why do people have to put all big guys in the same basket. They did the same with Slaf. But ... but ... but .. but ... McCarron. Will we do that for every big guys we draft from now on? There's no comaprison to be made bet6ween McCarron and Lindstrom not the same talent. McCarron could barealy skate, shot or pass. We drafted him at the end of the first round with the mindset that he could maybe learn to play hockey and if he did not he would make a good 4th line player. Lindstrom is actually a talented player. Will it translate to the NHL level? Maybe not but not the same kind of talent.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
This is a weird draft where I don't really have my heart set on anyone. I can pretty much make a case for any player we end up taking.

Even Parekh, despite me not wanting to take a D in any scenario, I could live with due to his dynamic nature.

Eiserman - score a ton. Enough said.

Iginla - Son of a HOF and has had a great second half. Looks like a better pick every day.

Lindstrom - A Slaf that plays C.

Catton - by all accounts, skilled as hell.

Demidov - See above, insane skill.

Celebrini - no comment needed.
A Slaf that plays C? I’m onboard!

Reactions: Habs13

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
A Slaf that plays C? I’m onboard!
He will not play at center in the nhl cause of his vision and IQ. I would be very surprise to see him at center in the NHL.

Lindstrom has a better shot than Slafkovski at the same age..way better but he has not his vision

Reactions: Tyson

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Eiserman is dominant in this championship, we can always work on his defense, like we did with Caufield, you're talking of a potential genrational goal scorer here.

I would be careful using the U18 as a benchmark. That's what swayed the Habs brass to choose KK in 2018. Granted Eiserman has a bit of a better track record but I am beware of U18 stats.

You can say the same for U20 WC. Caufield played on 2 teams and never dominated or even get a top PP role. Hell Poehling was top forward one year.

That's why the intangibles are so important. The top 10 all have talent. It's finding the players that are committed to get better and can process the play at a higher speed that the pro's require. Character matters greatly and there are enough red flags regarding Eiserman.

So far everything I have read from Lindstrom and Ignila have been very positive regarding the above mentioned traits.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He will not play at center in the nhl cause of his vision and IQ. I would be very surprise to see him at center in the NHL.

Lindstrom has a better shot than Slafkovski at the same age..way better but he has not his vision
Didn’t know this and thanks

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Have you watched him he can skate and has an evil shot with hands, etc.
I am not sold on his IQ yet but I definitely need to look a little closer. He does scare me as just another big/fast player who dominates in junior due to advantages that will be greatly decreased at higher levels where IQ is paramount.

Also.....Helenius should be in this poll.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Iginla's rise in the past 12 months is impressive, if we "reach" for him at 5, I'd be comfortable/confident that it's because the Habs brass are convinced he's got the runway to keep improving and the mindset to max out his ceiling.
I’m so done with late year reachers. KK and Galchenyuk, no thanks

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I will admit to not seeing much from Helenius, but what I saw at the World juniors last december did not impress me at all.
That's a tournament for 19 year old's though. Check him out at the U18s. He's a very impressive player to watch

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
That's a tournament for 19 year old's though. Check him out at the U18s. He's a very impressive player to watch
Well, some will argue that he's been impressive because he's doing well in Liga against men, so you can't turn the argument around and say he was not doing well because it's a tournament for 19 year-olds.

Yeah, he's doing well at U18 so far.

But is it really a case of age group, or rather quality of opposition?

Reactions: HankyZetts

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Dach should stay at center, and Lindstrom at wing... that would be amazing! Beastly yet skilled second line. With Roy on the other wing.

I’d go Newhook, guy can fly

My concerns with Lindstrom would be skating at the NHL level. When you target big boys, you better make sure they can skate.

What is his skating report? Because if I was a scout trying to project, I'd be wondering if he becomes someone who drowns once they turn pro... because the game is much faster and there is less time/space. Less time/space does affect so many prospects once they turn pro. Especially for CHL players who are playing against 16/17 year olds and smaller players at 18/19 a fair amount.

Does he have the it factor like B Tkachuk had? You tell me because I have not watched Lindstrom play that much in the CHL. Too bad Lindstrom is not in the U18's due to injury. That would be a great way to evaluate him against the best U18 players in the World... where skating and time/space is a bigger challenge than the CHL/WHL.

I don't hate the Lindstrom pick but I'm only bringing up things to look deeper into. Is he the stud in this top 10 or is he is KK disappointment? In every draft, there is always 2-3 players within the top 10 who are not who you think they will be.

Name me a list of players who were drafted in the 3rd round (WHL draft) and became a star in the NHL? There are some but my gut tells me that list is not that long.

Yeah the limited sample size is concerning, flip side is if he slides past us and pans out to be a power forward it would be unfortunate lol

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Why do people have to put all big guys in the same basket. They did the same with Slaf. But ... but ... but .. but ... McCarron. Will we do that for every big guys we draft from now on? There's no comaprison to be made bet6ween McCarron and Lindstrom not the same talent. McCarron could barealy skate, shot or pass. We drafted him at the end of the first round with the mindset that he could maybe learn to play hockey and if he did not he would make a good 4th line player. Lindstrom is actually a talented player. Will it translate to the NHL level? Maybe not but not the same kind of talent.
It's not happening in a vacuum. The habs reached for size in ridiculous ways at a lot of drafts. Koivu was good, most of the big D-men weren't, Komisarek was not bad. Kotkaniemi was a ridiculous reach for a big center in a draft that didn't have a center of any size who should have gone top 10. McCarron was taken too early and then badly developed.

It's not that size is bad it's that the habs have done a terrible job of drafting big players over the years. Fortunately the people making those picks are gone. It's a little sad to see that the Leafs have done relatively well at drafting big players without any high picks lately.

Hughes hasn't had any picks that were that bad yet. Scouting is getting better, too. It's unlikely they go outside the list of players we are discussing. If they do they had better get it right.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I am not sold on his IQ yet but I definitely need to look a little closer. He does scare me as just another big/fast player who dominates in junior due to advantages that will be greatly decreased at higher levels where IQ is paramount.

Also.....Helenius should be in this poll.
This, it scares me a little that he has not played much this year. Cannot help but thinking of Chucky.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Helenius concerns the heck out of me. I'm always wary of Johnny All-Arounds that lack elite talent at any one thing. Like him the least out of any forward candidate in that spot, but he's for sure a Bobrov-type guy.

Reactions: NobleSix

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Helenius concerns the heck out of me. I'm always wary of Johnny All-Arounds that lack elite talent at any one thing. Like him the least out of any forward candidate in that spot, but he's for sure a Bobrov-type guy.
Nick Suzuki didn’t really excel at one thing. Filip Forsberg is another, which is why he dropped his draft year.

Not saying those are comparables, but they were not elite in any one facet.

Helenius likely ends up going in that 8-12 pocket, similarly to those two guys.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Nick Suzuki didn’t really excel at one thing. Filip Forsberg is another, which is why he dropped his draft year.

Not saying those are comparables, but they were not elite in any one facet.

Helenius likely ends up going in that 8-12 pocket, similarly to those two guys.

I'm ok with that, 8-12 is where he belongs

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Helenius or Lindstrom, even at 2nd OV for me, Demidov has had 2 serious knee injuries this year and his play style is injury prone, he skates through sticks and players, thats spectacular, but risky. He also needs to get stronger and the top speed is average for an average sized player.

Silayev is my top ranked D on a tier of his own, but we need offense, so he would be my 3rd option. I like Iginla, but I have him a tier below Helenius and Lindstrom since I think his upside is more limited.

He will likely look like a genius in 3 yrs from now, terribly underrated on HF.
yaaaa I don't see it. But if I'm wrong I'll admit to it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad