Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Posted this on the main draft thread but can go here too...

Wondering what the votes would be in this poll if all of Celebrini, Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom are taken 1-4.

This would be a tough call for me to make if this happened.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Catton's play is all about nuance.

He is a master to slowing the game. He has so many pace.

His zone entrance variations are off chart.

His ability to find his teamates in open space is awesome.

His sauce passes are great from his forehand or on his backhand.

Comp: Kucherov..

Hey he will not make 130 points a year but look at him carefully and you will see a bit of Kuch.... like Kucherov, Catton is so relax with his zone entrance and on the power play too.

If this guy was 1 inch taller and 15 pounds heavier at 190 pounds...not a single person on earth would put Lindstrom or Iginla before him.

Look at his zone entrance and vision right here...:

Pure talent..no one is close except Celebrini and Demidov obviously

Most skilled behind the obvious Mack and Demi.

Reactions: Eegs

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Catton is an excellent player and would not cry if he would be the pick, of course depending what is available at 5.

Having said that, not sure the management and scouting staff are considering him at 5.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
One of the few interesting tidbits on latest Basu/Godin

• Silayev being there at 5 (doesn't think it would fall that way) Habs would consider it but don't think any of the scouts pushing that way would win over the guys making the final decision.
  • Konsta Helenius won't be the pick at 5 (question about European players in the draft by Bobrov with experience playing against men), Helenius only one fitting that profile but Basu didn't seem to entertain it as a remote possibility.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
The thing is a 18 year old can grow an inch and certainly gain ten to fifteen pounds by the time he’s in the NHL but my aunt, God bless her, will thankfully never grow a set of balls.
Don't be so sure of that. Things have changed over the years.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
because we all stop putting on pounds at age 18 of course

I think its pretty clear Catton has more skill than Iginla. I dont see how 10-15 lbs gives Iginla an edge here..... as mentioned, take away his last name and hes no more sought after than Helenius.

I also agree with you here. I think the size difference between Catton and Iginla is massively overblown and shouldn't adjust for the clear separation in talent. Catton also led the WHL in short handed goals. He will take small pockets of space on the inside and can score from all over the ice.

It's a bit of trying too hard to fit a name into the group.

That being said, I actually don't think we take Iginla (and have resigned myself that Catton won't be taken by us either). I think it's looking like Demidov, Lindstrom and Sennecke behind those two if the draft falls in a way disadvantageous to the Habs.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I’d be curious to track growth charts to junior production. IQ, best-in-class skating and hands you can’t take hormones for or improve that much once pro (even if of course they keep get better), and most guys are big in the nhl so that advantage is gone.

I wonder if more “big” drafted juniors flop than average-sized ones proportionally for a given production as counter-intuitive as that sounds. Inflated stats kind of thing. So are fancy dangles I suppose…

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I’d be curious to track growth charts to junior production. IQ, best-in-class skating and hands you can’t take hormones for or improve that much once pro (even if of course they keep get better), and most guys are big in the nhl so that advantage is gone.

I wonder if more “big” drafted juniors flop than average-sized ones proportionally for a given production as counter-intuitive as that sounds. Inflated stats kind of thing. So are fancy dangles I suppose…
Define "big" and "average-size" because the NHL average size for forwards is 6'1 and dmen is 6'2...which is considered "big" at the draft despite most of these kids not growing much after being drafted.

And they have always gotten taller (weight is another story). See How Big Are Hockey Players? What 67 Years of Data Reveals.

Reactions: Naslundforever

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Well you can find players that are an exception to the rule, generally speaking, the high end players have the desire and commitment that’s partly why they are highly skilled players. However, you take a guy like Kovalev, extremely skilled, crazy training, but not always committed. He could have been even greater.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Define "big" and "average-size" because the NHL average size for forwards is 6'1 and dmen is 6'2...which is considered "big" at the draft despite most of these kids not growing much after being drafted.

And they have always gotten taller (weight is another story). See How Big Are Hockey Players? What 67 Years of Data Reveals.
I mean over time (their life), compared to their peers at a given level. Like kids who grew big early maybe got an artificial, temporary stat boosts, which maybe eventually sometimes normalizes. Average u10, growth spurt, bigger than the rest through u16 (wow the stats), drafted, other players catch up in size/strength, guy never really adjusts or has much time to add more tools… Dunno. Size is obviously good, but smaller players develop elsewhere or don’t make it.

Trying to make a case for iq and ability over size come draft time.

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
Posted this on the main draft thread but can go here too...

Wondering what the votes would be in this poll if all of Celebrini, Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom are taken 1-4.

This would be a tough call for me to make if this happened.

That would mean we get the best D in the draft in Leshvunov.

That would be an incredible "consolation" prize. It's a win-win situation

dleblanc343

Jul 6, 2011
Montreal
Yup, I see that possibility too. And call me crazy but I'd take Iggy over Demidov. Very close call to make but that's what I would do today. Over the long term, I think Iggy has a more stable NHL career and I don't like Demidov's play along the boards at times.

Imagine, we pass on both Michkov and Demidov. Russians will notice this and start to not like Montreal! lol. It could back fire yes.
What if his name was Tij Lindstrom, or Tij Demidov.

Raise one even better - what if our options were Cayden Iginla or Ivan Iginla.

I think it's important to keep ourselves grounded with the players for their objective performances on ice and forget the name attached to it, as prestigious as it may be.

Just because he's Jarome's son does not mean he will have magical attributes. Heck a non-named Iginla may be more Iginla'esque in their play, lol.

I realize I might look pissy, but really I will be happy with any of Demi, Lind, Iginla or Catton. Just wish Michkov was ours last year, as mysterious as the aura around him is - I think he's a real talent...

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Catton's play is all about nuance.

He is a master to slowing the game. He has so many pace.

His zone entrance variations are off chart.

His ability to find his teamates in open space is awesome.

His sauce passes are great from his forehand or on his backhand.

Comp: Kucherov..

Hey he will not make 130 points a year but look at him carefully and you will see a bit of Kuch.... like Kucherov, Catton is so relax with his zone entrance and on the power play too.

If this guy was 1 inch taller and 15 pounds heavier at 190 pounds...not a single person on earth would put Lindstrom or Iginla before him.

Look at his zone entrance and vision right here...:

Pure talent..no one is close except Celebrini and Demidov obviously

We also need to put skill up front. Buffalo is full of big forwards and they arent able to make playoffs. We needs to put points on board before thinking about playoff. Catton could certainly help at that point

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We also need to put skill up front. Buffalo is full of big forwards and they arent able to make playoffs. We needs to put points on board before thinking about playoff. Catton could certainly help at that point

He absolutely would but he's not meeting the threshold of what they are looking for from a size perspective, so as much as I love Catton more than any forward not named Demidov, I don't think it's super fruitful to hope for a guy that seemingly is outside their parameters for a top 10 pick.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
He absolutely would but he's not meeting the threshold of what they are looking for from a size perspective, so as much as I love Catton more than any forward not named Demidov, I don't think it's super fruitful to hope for a guy that seemingly is outside their parameters for a top 10 pick.
Getting someone between barzal/Marner isnt a good choice as 5th pick? You could add size on next first pick or next year I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad