Sidney Crosby passes Mario Lemieux in all time playoff points!

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Only knock is the competition gets harder the further you move along. These earlier series are where a lot of ground is built up.

Yup. Thats when we also see Crosby starting to make everyone else around him better. When matchups get tougher..his line takes away the opposing teams top line while others are able to step up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yup. Thats when we also see Crosby starting to make everyone else around him better. When matchups get tougher..his line takes away the opposing teams top line while others are able to step up.
I think when Sid gets older and his numbers drop, he's just going to turn into Patrice Bergeron.

A solid 70pt guy that wins a ton of faceoffs and is a monster at both ends of the rink. Then he's going to start winning Selke's and people are going to be super chapped at that because it makes his legacy insane.

I can live with that. As long as Geno doesn't fall apart.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think when Sid gets older and his numbers drop, he's just going to turn into Patrice Bergeron.

A solid 70pt guy that wins a ton of faceoffs and is a monster at both ends of the rink. Then he's going to start winning Selke's and people are going to be super chapped at that because it makes his legacy insane.

If Crosby ever wins the Selke, you know that HF will never shut up about it being gifted to him. See: 2016 Conn Smythe. Hell, there are segments of HF that don't think Crosby deserved the 2017 Conn Smythe, either. So any award that he doesn't absolutely 100% dominate the field to win, it'll be questioned non stop.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Crosby ever wins the Selke, you know that HF will never shut up about it being gifted to him. See: 2016 Conn Smythe. Hell, there are segments of HF that don't think Crosby deserved the 2017 Conn Smythe, either. So any award that he doesn't absolutely 100% dominate the field to win, it'll be questioned non stop.
That's what would make it hilarious.

I hope Sid wins it back to back and then have the fans just absolutely lose their shit about it. Because Sid will not only go down as one of the best offensive players of his generation, he'll then get 2 of the award that is given to the best defensive forward in the league. In addition to the Richard, MVP, Conn Smythe, gold medals, and cups.

It's a game set and match to the haters.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
11 of 19 on that list were born during 1960-1965...what did they put in the water? or more likely what did they put in the refs' and goalies' drinks 20 years later.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
19 playoff goals in a season is nothing to sneeze at. You basically have to play all four rounds then average about 0.834 goals per game. Bossy is the highest all-time at 0.762 in the regular season. Now surely the playoffs are a smaller time frame, so someone like Sid or Pastrnak could strike lightning in that span, but again, you have to at least make it to the Finals too. There's a reason why there are only fifteen instances of someone scoring 16 or more.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

Or his idol, Yzerman. I always thought Sid would follow a similar career arc, except, you know, even better. He's had to adapt his game a couple of times already due to his high ankle sprain and then his concussion/neck injury. He'll adapt once again once age starts catching up to him.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Or his idol, Yzerman. I always thought Sid would follow a similar career arc, except, you know, even better. He's had to adapt his game a couple of times already due to his high ankle sprain and then his concussion/neck injury. He'll adapt once again once age starts catching up to him.
He's surpassed Yzerman I think in terms of his career accomplishments - 3 cups, numerous individual trophies, conn smythes, gold medals, etc. Sid is already more accomplished as a 30yr old and he still has a lot to play out still. But it's rare to see a guy idolize a legend and become a great one himself before his career is even close to being over.

Maybe Wayne vs Howe, but yeah.

The total points thing is where Yzy will have the advantage but he also played in the insane 80's high scoring era, not to diminish how fantastic Yzerman was, he's one of my favorite players too.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The total points thing is where Yzy will have the advantage but he also played in the insane 80's high scoring era, not to diminish how fantastic Yzerman was, he's one of my favorite players too.

The bolded part makes me chuckle when it comes to the HF main boards. You just know that that's one of the things the Crosby haters will harp on if Crosby is compared to guys like Yzerman.

Yet, when it comes to comparing Crosby to McDavid or any current up and coming star, they'll be so quick to make a big deal about how 2007 was so much more high scoring than today so you can't just compare raw totals.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
11 of 19 on that list were born during 1960-1965...what did they put in the water? or more likely what did they put in the refs' and goalies' drinks 20 years later.

There were only 6 teams & the provisional draft rules ensured stacked teams.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
He's surpassed Yzerman I think in terms of his career accomplishments - 3 cups, numerous individual trophies, conn smythes, gold medals, etc. Sid is already more accomplished as a 30yr old and he still has a lot to play out still. But it's rare to see a guy idolize a legend and become a great one himself before his career is even close to being over.

Maybe Wayne vs Howe, but yeah.

Yzerman was a great player but until he won a Cup, he was questioned.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yzerman was a great player but until he won a Cup, he was questioned.
Oh big time, his leadership and everything. I think there were talks that the Wings should move him in the 80's too, late 80's. But they hung on to him, there were even questions about his leadership. I think the Wings were hoping for more of the Messier type and got a quiet watch me work and follow me type and didn't think that was a leader back in that time.

Reactions: edog37

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Oh big time, his leadership and everything. I think there were talks that the Wings should move him in the 80's too, late 80's. But they hung on to him, there were even questions about his leadership. I think the Wings were hoping for more of the Messier type and got a quiet watch me work and follow me type and didn't think that was a leader back in that time.

The interesting thing about Stevie Y is that he continously evolved as a player throughout his career. Early on, after Wayne and Mario, he was probably the most talented forward in the game. Sid's evolution constantly reminds me of how Y changed. Although Sid has just personally evolved, he has helped change the sport.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I think even as late as the mid 90's there were rumours of trading him to Ottawa. People weren't happy they were swept by the Devils.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
So difficult to compare Mario's generation to Sid's. Things were so very different then in regards to scoring. That said, this is a real accomplishment not just showing Sid's ability to rack up points, but also a testament to the team being post-season relevant for a decade.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Given Crosby's conditioning, i think hes going to play another 7-8 years. Probably 5-6 more playoff runs in there. I think 50 more playoff games is a fair guess. Given all that, i think he'll wind up just ahead of Kurri.... which is remarkable because there is no one from his generation even near the top of that list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad