Sidney Crosby becomes the 10th player in NHL history to reach 1600 points

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
What was he on pace for the season he had his first concussion? I don't recall but I remember it feeling like he was getting 2-3 points a night. I'm sure if the Pen has a time machine they would change the way they handled their roster moves after their cup wins, but can't blame them for continuing to try and win with the core they have.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What was he on pace for the season he had his first concussion? I don't recall but I remember it feeling like he was getting 2-3 points a night. I'm sure if the Pen has a time machine they would change the way they handled their roster moves after their cup wins, but can't blame them for continuing to try and win with the core they have.
If Pens had a time machine all the top players in the later rounds would be drafted by them. We would rule! then we realise we hired Sullivan again and all will be lost.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
130+, his pace was unreal for that era

Crow

May 19, 2014
He did it in fewer games than like half of the top 10, including Sakic, Yzerman and Messier.

The only players to do it in fewer games are Gretzky, Lemieux, Dionne and Jagr.
Wow Jagr. I’m surprised at that one. I think he didn’t quite live up to his draft expectations though. Had he not missed out on some of his prime and won more trophies due to injury I’d agree. Decent pick is a crock though.

And what would you say the expectation were for Crosby in that regard ?

He is one of the best and most hyped prospect ever.

Someone could argue that despite being one of the most hyped prospect he did almost met all of them, because of the game missed during his peak "just" 2 Art Ross-hart is maybe below some expectation, but he compensated by better prime longevity.
Ok I agree with this. Said it better than I.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
IMHO there is a bit of a "what if" with Crosby's resume due to the health/concussion issues during the most productive period of his career, but still... Not bad!

Honestly this is what it is. He probably met expectations in terms of his level of play, but the individual resume is somewhat "underwhelming" relative to the hype. I know that sounds insane for a guy who has won every major award twice, but I think that if you told me when he was drafted he would only win 2 Harts and 2 Art ross I would be pretty surprised. Then again, with context he probably has 4 of each if he doesn't miss like 3 years in his prime.

He's definitely exceeded longevity expectations, consistency etc. His resume is even all-time great level and he will still probably be considered the 5th or 6th best player ever when he retires (depends when McDavid passed him), but I think at the time he was drafted most people expected him to win like 5 MVPs and 7 Art rosses when he was drafted that's just how insane the hype was at the time.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
He was the most hyped prospect since Lindros. The hopes were for him to be hands down the best player in the league for a long stretch. He was regarded as the best , but like a poster said previously he unfortunately got slowed down by injuries in the period where it looked like he was about to dominate the league. Satisfying career of course, but he did not exceed expectations.
Yes, most hyped since Lindros but also accomplished the most since before Lindros. I think the only way someone could say he didn’t meet expectations is if their expectations were that he’d be the best ever, or close to it (Better than Gretzky and Lemieux)….no one was expecting that

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
He needs to go back in time and win the calder for that, and be sent to the AHL to win the calder cup.
Plus the Vezina, Norris, Jennings, Clarence S. Campbell, Selke, Jack Adams, Jim Gregory, Lady Bing, Presidents, Bill Masterson, Lester Patrick. This guy is a bum.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Comparing him to generational talents that played in a vastly different league and landscape
We should not exaggerate it either, he played some shift with Lemieux:
LTU3NXg0MDUuanBn

Jagr won the Pearson and played 768 games in Crosby NHL, the league was not that different to be alien and impossible to compare too most previous generational talents, going back to Eddy Shore and Morenz it gets complicated sure, but say modern post ww2 original six to now.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He was the most hyped prospect since Lindros. The hopes were for him to be hands down the best player in the league for a long stretch. He was regarded as the best , but like a poster said previously he unfortunately got slowed down by injuries in the period where it looked like he was about to dominate the league. Satisfying career of course, but he did not exceed expectations.
I’m sorry but I have to ask for clarification here, you say about to dominate the league like he did not end up actually dominating the league. Is that actually your opinion or just a misinterpretation because if it is, WOW.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I’m sorry but I have to ask for clarification here, you say about to dominate the league like he did not end up actually dominating the league. Is that actually your opinion or just a misinterpretation because if it is, WOW.
In the sense that he won 2 Art Ross in 8 season, the Esposito, Howe & Jagr did it 4 years in a row, McDavid 5 in 7, Lafleur 3...

It is hard to dominate the league from 2011 to 2013 (the natural peak 22-25 years old window) playing only 33 games a season

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
In the sense that he won 2 Art Ross in 8 season, the Esposito, Howe & Jagr did it 4 years in a row, McDavid 5 in 7, Lafleur 3 in a row..

It is hard to dominate the league from 2011 to 2013 (the natural peak 22-25 years old window) playing only 33 games a season
Between 2010-11 to 2012-13, he had a point per game of 1.61 with second place being 1.20 (Malkin, his teammate). The distance between him and second place was the same as the distance between second and 50th. The distance between him and his first non-teammate, was the difference between that player and the 85th ranked. I don’t care how many games he played, that is embarrassing the league you played in levels of dominance. That 3 year stretch of a point pace 33% higher than second place is higher than any multi year stretch McDavid has ever had over second place.

He would then lead the league in points by 20% the following year, actually an ever so slightly higher margin than McDavid’s 153 point season.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Between 2010-11 to 2012-13, he had a point per game of 1.61 with second place being 1.20 (Malkin, his teammate). The distance between him and second place was the same as the distance between second and 50th. The distance between him and his first non-teammate, was the difference between that player and the 85th ranked. I don’t care how many games he played, that is embarrassing the league you played in levels of dominance.

He would then lead the league in points by 20% the following year, actually an ever so slightly higher margin than McDavid’s 153 point season.
Yes not saying he would not have dominated the league would have he played, I could easily see him winning those 3 Ross, 2 are virtually certain, but he did not.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Saying Crosby did not dominate this league is a terrifyingly bad opinion, and I will leave it at that.
He was 37th in points in the regular season, 25th in the playoff with 0 cup in that window....

He was incredibly dominant when he played, turned Kunitz-Dupuis in elite 5v5 producers,

but someone thinking and saying that not dominating the sport is not something that you should be affair off.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If we gave him his 282 games back at his peak before the major injuries hit him, he would be right now just shy of 2000 points (give or take 10 away)

He’s missed 238 games over the course of 20 seasons, so I don’t know where this idea of giving him back “his 282 games back at his peak” comes from.

As for his peak, he missed 113 games from age 23 through 25 (and just 16 more before turning 30).

If we wanted to be kind, which most always are to Crosby, he might have an extra 185 points if he played every game available from age 23-25.

There’s no realistic alternate scenario where he has almost 400 extra points right now. Some missed games, lockouts, stoppages have been par for the course for all players over the past 30 years.

That being said, for a player once feared to have a minimal career left back in 2012, his health and great play all the way through present day is probably the very best outcome one could ask for, considering how real life played out.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
He’s missed 238 games over the course of 20 seasons, so I don’t know where this idea of giving him back “his 282 games back at his peak” comes from.
2006 to 2024 would be 19 season or 1558 possible regular season game before this year, he played 1272, that 286, obviously not all of those are during his peak they are for all the career, but that could be where the numbers come from. Forget to remove the 4 games of this season and you are down to 282.

If he play those, maybe he does not have 2 90 points season after turning 35 like he just did, maybe he retire at the end of his contract this year instead of signing an util 2027 extension, we enter an world of what if inside the what if.

That being said, for a player once feared to have a minimal career left back in 2012, his health and great play all the way through present day is probably the very best outcome one could ask for, considering how real life played out.

Him, Bergeron, Letang, Karlsson there a list of players with ? that ended up playing a lot and having really nice career.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Would be cool if he keeps playing at least until he has the most points of a Penguin all-time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pretty great he's been able to put up these many points when you consider there was a time where it looked like his career was going to get cut short way too early.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
2006 to 2024 would be 19 season or 1558 possible regular season game before this year, he played 1272, that 286, obviously not all of those are during his peak they are for all the career, but that could be where the numbers come from. Forget to remove the 4 games of this season and you are down to 282.

There weren’t 1558 possible games from 2005-2006 through 2023-2024.

There were 1485– a 48 game season, 69 team games played before COVID stoppage, followed by 56 game season. These are the possible number of games played because we live in a reality where there have not been 19 seasons of 82 games in Crosby’s career.

Where I goofed was with his overall missed games. It’s been 213 games missed total, not 238.

And ultimately, I still don’t know what the person I quoted is talking about in their quote. If he misses just half of the games he actually did, he’s almost certainly still not at 1800 points, let alone 2000.

To reiterate for the dunces in the back, it’s obviously impressive how it’s actually played out, considering most of us in 2012 thought he was headed for an early exit.

Nathaniel Skywalker

DIG IN!!! RiGHT NOW!!!
Oct 18, 2013
Anybody that says only 2 harts n 2 art ross cant be taken serious. Even still 2 harts 2 art ross 2 richards 2 smythes 3 lindsays and 3 cups can only be contested by a handful of players

There weren’t 1558 possible games from 2005-2006 through 2023-2024.

There were 1485– a 48 game season, 69 team games played before COVID stoppage, followed by 56 game season. These are the possible number of games played because we live in a reality where there have not been 19 seasons of 82 games in Crosby’s career.

Where I goofed was with his overall missed games. It’s been 213 games missed total, not 238.

And ultimately, I still don’t know what the person I quoted is talking about in their quote. If he misses just half of the games he actually did, he’s almost certainly still not at 1800 points, let alone 2000.
Crosby was going to be well north of 100 points each time he was injured including 07-08. Easily 1900+ right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad