Should we be looking for a longterm 2c/3c instead of splitting up Matthews/Nylander?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
not gonna find a better center than Willy.

and it's easier and cheaper to find wingers anyways.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Micheal McLeod from the Devils (12th overall pick 2016) is a big target of mine. They'd be looking for a good D prospect type return though which is hard for us to give up since we're all high on Dermott and Liljegren. If Liljegren/Dermott/Borgman/Rosen all force Babcocks hand next season I could see them dealing one for McLeod. A fast, defensively responsible C with offensive skill would be perfect.

Internally we have Brooks and Aaltonen, but it's risky to depend on that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd think long-term Marner could do an equally effective job in Nylander's spot and we can have Nylander drive his own line as a center which can be used similarly to how Marner's line currently is.

Micheal McLeod from the Devils (12th overall pick 2016) is a big target of mine. They'd be looking for a good D prospect type return though which is hard for us to give up since we're all high on Dermott and Liljegren. If Liljegren/Dermott/Borgman/Rosen all force Babcocks hand next season I could see them dealing one for McLeod. A fast, defensively responsible C with offensive skill would be perfect.

Internally we have Brooks and Aaltonen, but it's risky to depend on that.
I wouldn't trade anything big such as Lijegren or Dermott for McLeod. I don't see Borgman or Rosen providing enough value, unless they play so well, that they have locked down a spot and are worth keeping. McLeod simply doesn't have the offensive IQ or vision in my mind to excel past being grinding middle 6 center who PKs. He also isn't a very good shooter. I really don't see the offensive ability to be a strong player, and transitioning to a strong defensive center in the NHL is always a challenge. For example, people really pimped Horvat for his defensive game, and while passable, it isn't elite, and he's excelled more due to being a competent scorer.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd think long-term Marner could do an equally effective job in Nylander's spot and we can have Nylander drive his own line as a center which can be used similarly to how Marner's line currently is.

I wouldn't trade anything big such as Lijegren or Dermott for McLeod. I don't see Borgman or Rosen providing enough value, unless they play so well, that they have locked down a spot and are worth keeping. McLeod simply doesn't have the offensive IQ or vision in my mind to excel past being grinding middle 6 center who PKs. He also isn't a very good shooter. I really don't see the offensive ability to be a strong player, and transitioning to a strong defensive center in the NHL is always a challenge. For example, people really pimped Horvat for his defensive game, and while passable, it isn't elite, and he's excelled more due to being a competent scorer.
I think we could easily draft our own McLeod in 2018. Depending on where we finish and if we pick up an additional 1st rounder for JVR (yes please), I would like us to address our organization center depth at this draft. Candidates include McBain, the younger brother McLeod, Hayton, Groulx, etc.
McLeod at 6'2, 190 would be a very good addition for us as per his bio he’s a guy that should be a playmaking center in a middle 6 line at the NHL level for a long time and provide some good pking and speed with it.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Could this work:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
JVR- Nylander-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov/Kapanen

4th line pick from whoever you like.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If I were Babs, I would be very reluctant to break them up. Theoretically, Marner or Brown could slot in beside Matthews if Nylander shifted to centre, but their chemistry is undeniable, and continues to improve over time.

I agree that it makes more sense to find a replacement for Bozak either internally, or outside the organization.

As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: The Cobra

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Grundstrom - X - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier/Aaltonen - Komarov

Kadri is a great #2C.
It's not hard to find a #3C who is solid defensively and can chip in 30-40 points/year.

What have you done with Connor Brown?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The trouble with acquiring a so called good # 2 in the cap hit. Might be a 5.5m player. As result the Leafs are probably hoping that Nylander can fill the role, and then the Leafs can use their cheaper wingers to fill the winger spots.
Next year the Leafs really only Matthews and Kadri as NHL centre. No one else is ready in the system especially as top 3 centre. Maybe Bozak might return short term.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
2+ Years from Now

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Grundstrom - Nylander - Kappanen
Soshnikov - Kadri - Brown
Rychel - Gauthier - Leivo

Rielly - Liljegren (1)
Gardiner - Dermott (2A)
Borgman - Zaitsev (2B)

Anderson
Pickard

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
2+ Years from Now

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Grundstrom - Nylander - Kappanen
Soshnikov - Kadri - Brown
Rychel - Gauthier - Leivo

Rielly - Liljegren (1)
Gardiner - Dermott (2A)
Borgman - Zaitsev (2B)

Anderson
Pickard

Not in a million years unless the NHL bans acquiring players from other teams.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Johnny T on line 2.

:)

Yes this off season, rid yourself of JVR, Bozak, Moore, Fehr and Komarov to go all in on Tavares if he is still available. Home town boy would look fantastic on our lineup and allow other kids to come up and play.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Brown-Kadri-Kapannen
Leivo-Altonnen-Soshnikov

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Tavares isn't happening.

x - Matthews - Nylander
x - Kadri - Marner

That's the basis of one of the best Top-6's in the entire league. Find a good two-way 3C that can play on a sheltered offensive line, and fill the 4C with a guy making 1M or less.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd like to see the Matthews-Nylander line grow for a while longer. Chemistry like that is hard to find.
Why do you think Edmonton likes McDavid/Draisaitl together. You don't want to mess with it. That's why they were hoping Strome could fill the 2nd/3rd line center spot.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Tavares isn't happening.

x - Matthews - Nylander
x - Kadri - Marner

That's the basis of one of the best Top-6's in the entire league. Find a good two-way 3C that can play on a sheltered offensive line, and fill the 4C with a guy making 1M or less.
I agree with this, Kadri is a good 2C (He played like a 1C last year). It's easier finding a shutdown 3C than it will be finding a scoring 2C.

Reactions: The Cobra

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Even if he could get a 5th year that extra 4 million is a lot of money to throw away.

Alzner got the 5th year and he's garbage. I could see Montreal going after Bozak too.

He wasn’t 32 though. Also 5 x 4.2 isn’t bad.
Front loaded. Like I said this is only IF willy isn’t seen as our 2 C. I don’t see any legit offers.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Isn't having Tavares on your team "cause he's a hometown boy" the absolutely worse reason to acquire him. Acquire him if he's good and affordable. And looking at Tavares production in the past three years, he is no where close to being a good value in his next contract.
If "hometown boy" is so important in some people's minds, I guess the Leafs can kiss Matthews good bye in a few years if the same logic applies....he'll be a Coyote.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
The complexion of this team changes entirely once we move Nylander to centre. Having Matthews-Nylander-Kadri down the middle is infinitely better than Matthews-Kadri-mediocre 3C. Our wing depth would still be outstanding after that, even with JVR and Komarov gone: Marner, Marleau, Brown, Kapanen, Hyman, Grundstrom, Johnsson, and Leivo can likely all be solid top 9 wingers, plus any necessary trades or FA signings to round out the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad