Should trading be disallowed during the playoffs?

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
And that is why I think trading should not be allowed during playoffs. It gives unfair advantage to teams not in the battle.

the 'loser' teams already get advantages, on a gradient for how far from the cup they are, in the draft. That's not unfair. In my head, trades in the playoffs are similar.

Plus, a team making a trade during the playoffs is limiting their options so there is a (small) potential disadvantage for them as well. (Ignoring that the definitely check in with teams still playing.)

If boston thought edmonton might make a better partner for an ullmark trade, they would wait. What i'm saying is, no one that gets traded during the playoffs is of any concern to teams still playing.

As for the idea the trades take attention from the playoffs. I mean, if someone thinks they do i'm not going to change their mind. But i strongly disagree.

except for the martinook-kruger trade; that was definitely huge.

Reactions: swiftwin

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Maybe If the League didn't play till the end of the Month.

Some reporters are just going to Vegas from Florida as flying back home and back to Vegas makes 0 sense.

Sure its Vegas so they will like that but they also perhaps wanted to see there family for a couple days?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
the loser teams should play the hand they were dealt (elimination) and respect the men still competing - nobody is suggesting teams not plan moves for after the cup is lifted - but if there are schedule constraints, U deal with it
They are dealing with it. By trading when they need to.

Also, you never answer last time I asked you to clarify, but do you honestly believe GMs reason for making these trades is because they are "trying to upstage" the finals? Or is it something you are saying because it bothers you.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would have more of an issue with announcing trades during the playoffs if the playoffs wrapped up earlier. You can't keep a full "no trade" period open from February/March all the way until the end of June though. Especially with the draft on the same week as game 7 of the finals and a week away from free agency opening.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
NHL has to schedule better. This year the Cup was lifted on a later date than it was in 2006, a year which included a full stop down for the Olympics. Teams have too many decisions to plan for snd make with the draft and free agency both happening within a week of the Finals concluding.

Reactions: DaveG and tmurfin

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
They really need to shorten the play offs not by rounds but by games play

Make the first 3 rounds a best of 5 and then the finals a best of 7

they wont because owners want play off revenue, but its literally stupid that the playoffs went until almost July

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
God i cant believe how much this is bothering some people. Ive seen multiple posters upset about teams trading in the playoffs in multiple threads.... Funny how alot of people just want something to complain about

People complain there arent enough trades...but then there are trades and then they complain about WHEN the trades happen.

• Love
Reactions: Suntouchable13

Forgetful

Oct 29, 2020
I don't care about the playoffs if my team isn't in it. what I care about is my team getting better and if they make a trade while your team is in the playoffs and it hurts your feelings, guess what? I don't care, just like I wouldn't care if your team made a trade while my team was playing a playoff game

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not a fan of trading during the Finals. Keep the focus on the Finals. Plus it adds additional excitement after the Finals end as trades start pouring in between the Cup and the Draft.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Oh no, the teams that are playing for the privilege of lifting the Cup might have to share a few minutes of hockey news time with talk about a trade (if even that) that normal people will neither notice or care about.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Schedule is dumb. Even if they are forced to start mid October, there is no reason why they can’t finish in early April and start the playoffs April 10th or something. This year the playoff started April 20th, that’s way too late. And originally it was supposed to be the 22nd. Idiotic.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Could you imagine that two gms agreed to a trade 2 months ago and so one gm then stopped shopping that player and as soon as the playoffs end, one GMs like sike, changed my mind 2 months later.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Eliminated teams trading is fine. The problem is the season is way too long. Training camp opened September 15th and game 7 of the finals was June 24th. The NHL should be playing zero games in June.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
They really need to shorten the play offs not by rounds but by games play

Make the first 3 rounds a best of 5 and then the finals a best of 7

they wont because owners want play off revenue, but its literally stupid that the playoffs went until almost July
It’s more to do with scheduling than games played. This was somehow the longest season in NHL history apparently. Even somehow longer than years where they had Olympic breaks. They gotta tighten it up, esp the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad