Should trading be disallowed during the playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The schedule this year is pretty extreme with only a few days between game 7 and the draft. Nonetheless - I cant help but feel it's a bit unfair to a team like Florida or Oilers (yes I realize they just made the finals) that all other teams are trading while they can't.

PLD was traded. So was Ullmark. Maybe not the best examples/biggest names - but let's say hypothetically those had been 2 big targets for either/or team - but they miss out because they're still in playoffs. Just seems unfair to me.

Is that something that should be adjusted in future, or leave as is is fine?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Absolutely - new era GMs have begun to disrespect decades of abiding by unwritten rules (i.e., no trading until the Cup is lifted). Nowadays GMs are trying to steal the spotlite from the competing teams
Or, we could actually respond to the fact that everyone - including GMs - hate the fact that the playoffs take way too much time. And then you immediatly crash into the draft and free agency. Teams need to make moves beforehand as well. And that's what is happening.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The schedule this year is pretty extreme with only a few days between game 7 and the draft. Nonetheless - I cant help but feel it's a bit unfair to a team like Florida or Oilers (yes I realize they just made the finals) that all other teams are trading while they can't.

PLD was traded. So was Ullmark. Maybe not the best examples/biggest names - but let's say hypothetically those had been 2 big targets for either/or team - but they miss out because they're still in playoffs. Just seems unfair to me.

Is that something that should be adjusted in future, or leave as is is fine?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's nothing preventing Florida or Edmonton from making trades. The only restriction that's in place is that whoever they trade for can't play in the remaining regular season/playoff games if acquired after the deadline.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's nothing preventing Florida or Edmonton from making trades. The only restriction that's in place is that whoever they trade for can't play in the remaining regular season/playoff games if acquired after the deadline.

Yes I agree. But the unwritten rule is they can't trade an active roster player either for obvious reasons.

Say Edmonton isn't happy with Skinner and wants to go with Ullmark next year. Ignore whether you think this is a good trade or not - just consider the hypothetical.

In what world can Edmonton announce mid-finals that Skinner is traded away for next season while not completely gutting team morale/chemistry or his motivation to keep performing in playoffs? It would never happen for that reason.

So maybe there isn't an official rule preventing Florida or Edmonton to trade - but they still can't do it for this obvious reason.

Reactions: RCGP2

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Or, we could actually respond to the fact that everyone - including GMs - hate the fact that the playoffs take way too much time. And then you immediatly crash into the draft and free agency. Teams need to make moves beforehand as well. And that's what is happening.
the loser teams should play the hand they were dealt (elimination) and respect the men still competing - nobody is suggesting teams not plan moves for after the cup is lifted - but if there are schedule constraints, U deal with it

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Absolutely - new era GMs have begun to disrespect decades of abiding by unwritten rules (i.e., no trading until the Cup is lifted). Nowadays GMs are trying to steal the spotlite from the competing teams

What? What spotlight was on the Wiesblatt for Afanasyev trade? They're just trades. The playoffs were still the top story each day. Relax.

Yes I agree. But the unwritten rule is they can't trade an active roster player either for obvious reasons.

Say Edmonton isn't happy with Skinner and wants to go with Ullmark next year. Ignore whether you think this is a good trade or not - just consider the hypothetical.

In what world can Edmonton announce mid-finals that Skinner is traded away for next season while not completely gutting team morale/chemistry or his motivation to keep performing in playoffs? It would never happen for that reason.

So maybe there isn't an official rule preventing Florida or Edmonton to trade - but they still can't do it for this obvious reason.

I'm sure there's a friendly phone call between any parties. If Edmonton is that unhappy with a guy, people will know. He could've gotten hurt for the next 9 months in Game 7, but he could also get hurt in the first game of next year with his new team.

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The league was still playing on St. Jean Baptiste Day. The schedule this year was so ridiculous that the league's moral authority was nil on the issue. So that's why teams just said f*** it and started getting their business done to give them clarity before the draft.

Teams will respect the unwritten rule if the league wasn't intentionally staggering the schedule with that of the NFL as much as possible to avoid overlap. It seems the NHL got the message and didn't push back very hard. The season ought to end about two weeks earlier. If it did once more, teams would abide by the unwritten rule.

If they don't adjust it, this will be the new normal.

Alternatively, they could always push back the draft and free agency a couple of weeks, I suppose, but no one wants that.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
the loser teams should play the hand they were dealt (elimination) and respect the men still competing - nobody is suggesting teams not plan moves for after the cup is lifted - but if there are schedule constraints, U deal with it
f*** the respect lol. This is a business, and the eliminated teams have been preparing for the next season for some time now.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015

Nothing stopping playoff teams from trading during the playoffs. Newly acquired players just can't play for them during the playoffs.
There's only one problem, for example Edmonton and Florida might involve some of their players in the trades, so they would trade away players and not get playable players back.

And that is why I think trading should not be allowed during playoffs. It gives unfair advantage to teams not in the battle.

And I do agree that the season is way too f***ing long.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The league was still playing on St. Jean Baptiste Day. The schedule this year was so ridiculous that the league's moral authority was nil on the issue. So that's why teams just said f*** it and started getting their business done to give them clarity before the draft.

Teams will respect the unwritten rule if the league wasn't intentionally staggering the schedule with that of the NFL as much as possible to avoid overlap. It seems the NHL got the message and didn't push back very hard. The season ought to end about two weeks earlier. If it did once more, teams would abide by the unwritten rule.

If they don't adjust it, this will be the new normal.

Alternatively, they could always push back the draft and free agency a couple of weeks, I suppose, but no one wants that.
I think James Mirtle (Leaf beat for the Athletic) mentioned it in his podcast that there might be adjustments done to the schedule in the future, but next season is probably too quick for it because it's so hard to make the schedule in the first place. But people realize that this season and especially the playoffs went on for too long. So we might see adjustments for the 25-26 season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Should be laughed at like all other unwritten rules.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There's only one problem, for example Edmonton and Florida might involve some of their players in the trades, so they would trade away players and not get playable players back.

And that is why I think trading should not be allowed during playoffs. It gives unfair advantage to teams not in the battle.

There's nothing preventing teams from setting up handshake deals. If Florida or Edmonton want to set up trades, they're absolutely allowed to. If they wanted Ullmark, nothing stops them from contacting Boston and saying "Hey, we're in the middle of something, but here's what we can offer for your goalie."

Reactions: DaveG

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
To be fair, if Edmonton had lost in round 1, they definitely would have been in talks on a goalie trade like Ullmark. Why let some teams make deals, but not others. I think it should freeze.

Then add in the fact that it takes attention away form the teams playing for a Cup. Keep the attention on them, that's what we're all supposedly watching for.

Reactions: RCGP2

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

What exactly is unfair? No players traded after the deadline can play in the playoffs, whether the team is eliminated or still playing. That's the definition of fair.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nothing was stopping Holland or Zito from asking to other GMs. Obviously they couldn't finalize any trades but they could still have preliminary discussions.

It's on the league for having such a long break between the CF's and the SCF's. I know TV is the reason why, with ABC having both this year but still. In Floridas case they have to cram in cup celebrations, parade, draft and free agency into 6 days.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Nothing was stopping Holland or Zito from asking to other GMs. Obviously they couldn't finalize any trades but they could still have preliminary discussions.

It's on the league for having such a long break between the CF's and the SCF's. I know TV is the reason why, with ABC having both this year but still. In Floridas case they have to cram in cup celebrations, parade, draft and free agency into 6 days.

Somehow I don’t feel bad for them at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad