• Yes

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 71.1%

• Total voters

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
We all want the league to get the calls right, and they’ve done a wonderful job eliminating exciting goals because some dude was a mm offside 45 seconds ago- but what of the dump-ins and zone-entries before that?

If every aspect matters leading up to the goal, why limit the review to that one issue? We should check any dump-ins, line changes, and previous zone entries, to ensure it really is as good a goal as we hope it to be. Yes, the puck is in the net, but we need to go back and make sure it’s all really above board and correct, right? We should be verifying the faceoff leading to the goal was done fairly and correctly, at the very least, as well as do a quick check for any missed penalties, as those are potentially far more impactful than an offside call.

What say you?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If something is worth having a whistle blown, it's worth ensuring it's correct.

That said, any sort of zone entry 30s+ away from a goal being scored is irrelevant.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I wouldn’t call it expanded video review per se— but I would like to see the NHL have a third referee watching from above with VAR to assist with calls in real-time so certain calls aren’t missed or so that video review can happen in the moment rather than fully stopping the game.

And if not a third referee, move one of the two on-ice referees to the off-ice VAR role.

Reactions: norrisnick

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I wouldn’t call it expanded video review per se— but I would like to see the NHL have a third referee watching from above with VAR to assist with calls in real-time so certain calls aren’t missed or so that video review can happen in the moment rather than fully stopping the game.

And if not a third referee, move one of the two on-ice referees to the off-ice VAR role.
AIVAR take the human element out

Don't give the AI any information on:

- who is playing,
- where it's being played,
- what part of the season the game is in,
- what part of the game the play is in,
- what zone the play occurred in,
- the score of the game,
- or how many penalties have already been called.

None of those things should EVER factor into a penalty being or not being called, yet we all know they currently are.

Reactions: wetcoast

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
They can’t go overboard on it. Can you imagine if baseball strike zone was reviewable? The game would drag and never odd and kill the vibe. It’s actually fine the way it is now but people are always gonna complain anyways

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
They can’t go overboard on it. Can you imagine if baseball strike zone was reviewable? The game would drag and never odd and kill the vibe. It’s actually fine the way it is now but people are always gonna complain anyways
Why would the game drag if balls and strikes could be instantly adjudicated and accurately to boot? Don't waste time allowing a human to f*** up the decision first, which is the source of any and all time wasting. Get it right, instantly, off the rip.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Baseball doesn't really have a problem with the strike zone though as most umpires call their strike zone evenly to both teams.

Hockey is a much more fluid subjective game to referee and people wanting more perfection are an example of the "road to hell being paved with good intentions."

Reactions: majormajor

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Baseball doesn't really have a problem with the strike zone though as most umpires call their strike zone evenly to both teams.

Hockey is a much more fluid subjective game to referee and people wanting more perfection are an example of the "road to hell being paved with good intentions."
The 'hell' in this case being "playoff officiating" and the 'good intentions' being "game management/refs not wanting to decide games".

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The 'hell' in this case being "playoff officiating" and the 'good intentions' being "game management/refs not wanting to decide games".
So let's just get rid of the refs and have AI make all the calls then shall we.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So let's just get rid of the refs and have AI make all the calls then shall we.
Yes. Competition between two sets of mistake prone humans is already bad enough without the officials also being mistake prone humans.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The same people who whine about about how bad the refereeing is are largely the ones who whine about the delays caused by reviews. There is no pleasing them.

Me,? I think the NHL has struck a pretty good balance.

Reactions: wetcoast

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If anything, they need to remove offside review and goalie interference review. I don't think those reviews really helped the game at all.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I think any "expansion" of the process should be the NHL equipping referees & linespersons with helmet-mounted displays linked by secure wireless to the in-arena video review system. That way they AND the fans wouldn't have to participate in the repetitively embarrassing public display of squeezing into a tiny box to debate the merits of a missed offsides call or a too-many-butts-in-the-crease sighting.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
We all want the league to get the calls right, and they’ve done a wonderful job eliminating exciting goals because some dude was a mm offside 45 seconds ago- but what of the dump-ins and zone-entries before that?

If every aspect matters leading up to the goal, why limit the review to that one issue? We should check any dump-ins, line changes, and previous zone entries, to ensure it really is as good a goal as we hope it to be. Yes, the puck is in the net, but we need to go back and make sure it’s all really above board and correct, right? We should be verifying the faceoff leading to the goal was done fairly and correctly, at the very least, as well as do a quick check for any missed penalties, as those are potentially far more impactful than an offside call.

What say you?

I mean, I really tried to make the satire obvious and 33% of y’all agreed with it.

To be clear- I’m not talking AI, the league can’t even manage a website and AI isn’t even close to being there. I’m talking about meticulously reviewing every aspect of every goal, like I said in the original post. And some of y’all agreed with that. Anywho, guess it’s still a debate to be had, unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad