Should the NHL amend its preseason structure?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
As a shark fan you would of missed carle forcing his way onto the team, vlasic doing the same thing.
Are you saying that if we changed preseason, Carle and Vlasic would have not forced their way onto the team, or that I just wouldn't have seen it with my eyes? At the time, I didn't care... if they made it and stuck in the NHL, then I cared.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Looking at the out of town scoreboard, the Hurricanes stars are pasting an inexperience Panthers lineup. Earlier in the week got to see the Jets vets hammer a mostly AHL Oilers squad. For fans are we getting shortchanged? Is there any point in having regular rosters play tryout rosters in preseason?
What you're asking for is what we call the Regular Season. You get 82 games of that plus playoffs if everything goes your favorite team's way. Maybe even a Shiny Cup to remind you of the success of that season.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Teams can pick how many games they play and whom ever they want to play. Min 8 vets. How much more control do they need.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Teams can pick how many games they play and whom ever they want to play. Min 8 vets. How much more control do they need.

They are required by the league to have at least 6 games and no more than 8 games total. I could see 4 for the low end and 6 for the high end. *shrug*

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
They are required by the league to have at least 6 games and no more than 8 games total. I could see 4 for the low end and 6 for the high end. *shrug*
I'd like to just see 4, period.

If they want to give prospects more chances to play against higher competition...expand the rosters by 2 for the first 5 games of the season for signed prospects with more than 1 year of waiver eligibility.

There are ways of doing it that give teams a chance to get their starters reps, while also helping to give prospects more time against higher competition. There needs to be a growing concern to keeping the goonery out of the preseason games. Split squads and sending a squad of players who have no chance of making the NHL roster to play against a squad of mostly starters, is just, beyond dumb and frankly archaic.

Of course the easy way for the Players to get the owners to drop all of these preseason games is to have a 4 team tournament for two spots into the Playoffs, at the end of the season. Players would drop preseason like a bad habit.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
We should also make the preseason shorter and start the NHL season earlier so the season could end as late as June 15 and start the draft the following Friday.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Red Wings have 6 preseason games this week. 6 in 6 days.

Most of them are more difficult to watch than the average Swedish tier-3 preseason game.

Yes, something needs to change in regards with how the NHL handles this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad