Should the NHL adopt the NBA's new jersey system?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’m traditional. It’s a hard NO from me. What would you put on the Jerseys if you did
Vancouver - riot city
Calgary - out shit does stink
Edmonton - sorry Connor…
Winnipeg - we know we don’t have an airport
Toronto- we were good in a 6 team league
Montreal- Stanley knows his way around here
Ottawa- send tax money

Reactions: BOS358

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
My brother in law had an NBA game on a few weeks ago. I went for like 10 minutes thinking I was watching the Milwaukee Bucks because the front of the black and gold jerseys said MLK. Turns out it was the Hawks honoring ML King.
You mean the Hawks trying to cash in on MLK.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No, hockey isn’t basketball.

Stick to the classic home and away sets along with one of the 3rds/retros/reverse retros and leave it at that.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
No.

I would like to see a return to White at Home and Dark on the Road though. Let the Original 6 where Dark at home against each other if they wish- but does not need to be implemented league-wide. Miss seeing the visiting teams’ different colors, etc.

Also- each team should have one or no alternate. Beyond that… stop the madness.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
After seeing how poor of a job they did with most of those reverse retros, I'm strongly inclined not to give them even more opportunities to f*** up a jersey.
And given how ugly the majority of those NBA Jerseys are, I don't want the NHL to go down that road.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
the NHL went from teams having 1 home jersey and 1 road jersey, to who-knows-what-the-hell-they're-wearing-on-any-given-night

most people now have no idea which is the home, the road, the 3rd, the stadium, the reverse retro, the heritage and whatever else they're wearing these days. Pretty sure a few teams are wearing up to 5 different sweaters in a season.

it was awesome when they started branching out a bit in the 90s with the 3rd sweater designs, but they killed it with how they're doing it today. It's not special or exciting to see a team wear something from their history any more.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If they adopt anything NBA jersey related I may have to stop watching. Every NBA team has 363 different kinds of t-shirts for jerseys for both home and away. Even with that many, 99% of them look like trash, so they may as well wear cheap trash bags instead.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hockey jerseys are too busy for color vs color imo.

I would love for teams to do something different each year but hockey is legally required to be boring as the responses in this thread indicate.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
When I turn on the game or walk into the arena I want to be able to identify the teams when I see them. If I walk into a Capitals home game following images of players in red and signs for Rocking the Red, I find I am confused when I see one team in Blue and the other in White. No red team. Its silly.

The only uni change I would consider is having the home team return to wearing their whites and the road teams their colors. Right now every game looks the same. Caps in red and all the road teams in white.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd be down with a 4 jersey system

Home, Away, Alternate, Throwback

Get rid of the Reverse Retros (teams that like theirs can adopt them as their Alternates)

Minor suggestion, make the last one, "Heritage". Many teams already kinda do this on occasion with their Heritage classic stuff.

Plus, home, away, heritage and alternate can be shortened to HAHA.

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
The NHL should adopt absolutely nothing from trash basketball. The NBA is an absolute clown league. Every team has like 45 jerseys and no identity. Plus ads which totally make it a joke

I will never understand the section of hockey fans that irrationally foam at the mouth whenever the NBA is brought up, as if they're jealous that the NBA is more popular and better run or something.

As for the topic at hand, I think NBA jersey matchups can be ugly at times but I would love more color v color matchups. Liberty alternates vs Flyers orange? Sign me up please

Reactions: AD Skinner

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
This will never work because teams would have to travel with multiple sets. The HOME team should accommodate the road teams colors. If the colors clash the home team wears an alternate.
This also allows the home crowd see their team play in all of their jerseys.

The solution to this is simple, the traveling team travels with their primary darks only. The home team can be the one to choose the contrasting uniform, whether they are another color or white

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I've always liked how Sweden has a yellow on blue and a blue on yellow jersey, No white! We need more color vs color matchups!

I don't follow the NBA but it looks like they have too many jerseys. Without going overboard like that, I would like for the Stanley Cup champs to have a limited edition extra jersey the following year. They've earned it! We need little things like that to make the SC more relevant throughout the year.

I also wouldn't be opposed if the Stanley Cup champs dictate what jersey they want to wear, even on the road. Let the champs decide and the other team adjust!

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I don't know why Nashville doesn't use yellow as their road jersey. And then darks for home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad