Should penalties be 1 minute?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Seems like we've moved into an era where special teams largely decide games. I'm thinking the trend will continue as players become better and more efficient with the pp. Is this a game we want?
power play goal scored by teams in average by games

2024: 0.63
2023: 0.65
2022: 0.60

2016: 0.58

2006: 1.03

1999: 0.69

1989: 1.06

In 2024, 0.63 goals per games was the ranked #43 among the 90 season almost the median, despite being #39 in total goals.

Are we in era particularly decided by special team ? Is it because the gap between the best and worst special team became larger ?

Or is it just an impression ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Prairie Habs

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
power play goal scored by teams in average by games

2024: 0.63
2023: 0.65
2022: 0.60

2016: 0.58

2006: 1.03

1999: .69

1989; 1.06

In 2024, 0.63 goals per garmes was the ranked #43 among the 90 season, despite being #39 in total goals.

Are we in era particularly decided by special team ? Is it because the gap between the best and worst special team became larger ?

Rocky Thompson is personally keeping that number under 2

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
The current proportion of special team goals to even strength goals isn't even in the top half of seasons historically speaking.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No- keep it two minutes, don't allow shorthanded teams to ice the puck, and get rid of the extra two minutes if a high stick draws blood.
I'm never going to agree with this rule. The last thing i want to see is more stoppages for when teams do ice the puck.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
For some infractions where an inadvertent play results in the call, I think a 1 minute penalty would be good for the game

Unfortunately it's sooooo subjective that I'm not sure how refs would be able to do it

there's so many calls like a stick getting dropped/slashed out of their hands, a stick in the hands that barely does anything, even some high sticks that are miniscule and didn't disrupt the play at all that I'd welcome a way to do it

edit: I guess I was supposed to be snarky and "clever" with my response
mea culpa ;)
The ones where the players are holding their stick goes from a good stick lift/check from the player to a penalty. I guess if you see an attacking player going for your stick, dropping your hand down is a smart play to draw a penalty, but those really irk me when the hand is super low down the shaft.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I'm never going to agree with this rule. The last thing i want to see is more stoppages for when teams do ice the puck.
Teams would learn to not ice the puck. I've never understood why a shorthanded team deserves any benefit, particularly late in the game when they have a one goal lead.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Teams would learn to not ice the puck. I've never understood why a shorthanded team deserves any benefit, particularly late in the game when they have a one goal lead.
Teams still ice the puck without being on the pk. Teams would sill ice the puck instead of making a bad play, especially when teams ice the puck after being in a battle or swinging to knock the puck away from any danger area. You also may rather take your chance with a good faceoff player instead of giving the team free possession of the puck. It's going to result in more stoppages.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I’m glad we’re moving past the old “they put the whistles away in the playoffs” bullshit.

I can’t understand why people are complaining that playoff hockey resembles regular season hockey more, why should it be so starkly different?

I’ve always hated the meta of big dumb slow meathead d-men suddenly becoming valuable in the playoffs because they could just manhandle opponents with impunity.

If it’s an illegal play in the regular season, it should also be in the playoffs.

More scoring in the playoffs is a good thing, too.

I mean we still get a lot of 2-1 games, especially this year but it used to be brutally low scoring.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Needs to stay 2 minutes, the team on the powerplay stays on the powerplay for the whole 2 minutes even if they score. Also need to call the rule book as it is, black and white. Players will adapt and less infractions will occur long term which will boost even strength scoring because there will be less impedance on star players. Teams will become less dependent on the powerplay as power plays drop in frequency due to players avoiding taking penalties out of pure fear of putting their team down 1, 2, or 3 goals.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'd like to see some penalties be 1 minute and others remain 2. I feel lik all minors aren't created equally.

If they made the bench minors and delay of game penalties (puck over glass, coaches challenge) 1 minute or 90 seconds I'd be fine with that.

The big change should be a Penalty shot if failed should become a power play even if they make it a shorter power play. I can't remember where I saw the stat, most Penalty shots go in less often than powerplay goals are scored as a percentage. So it's worse for most teams to get a Penalty shot than a PP.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Where's the guy who says there should never be any penalties ever, and that if you don't like it, you should watch figure skating?

Does he still post here?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... If your PK sucks, you have the option of taking less penalties ...
This is an aside and I don't in any way support the idea in the original post, but strangely enough the quoted statement isn't always true in today's NHL. If you're the away team, leading by two goals with ten minutes left and you've only been called for one penalty all game while you've drawn three minor penalties by the opponents, the NHL's game management pretty much dictates you'll get called for a trip, hold, slash, hook or interference even if you don't touch anyone or his stick.

I think that makes the NHL look like it is prioritizing the entertainment value of the product over the legitimacy of the athletic contests which form the product, but it is what it is.

As for the original idea, as others have pointed out making a penalty inadequate encourages play outside the rules, ultimately making the game worse.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
This isn't the issue. The issue is that PK isn't something that teams really concentrate on. It's considered to be of secondary importance, and they mainly dump some third-tier players onto PK and call it a day.

It's harder to create than to disrupt a play, which is why you save your best players for offense, unless you're closing up a game. That doesn't mean teams don't work on pk strategies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Seems like we've moved into an era where special teams largely decide games. I'm thinking the trend will continue as players become better and more efficient with the pp. Is this a game we want?

I think you should get the full two minutes, and score as many times as you can

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd be okay with it if they used it as an opportunity to actually call more things

they could easily halve the length of individual penalties but double the overall amount and use the optics of individual penalties only being 1 minute instead of 2 to also pull back on the game management stuff and have the amount of penalties each team gets better reflect what they actually do instead of seeking to keep them roughly even

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think teams should be given a choice between a PP and a penalty shot…or just declining altogether.

Signed,
a fan of the team with the 30th best PP.
Meh. The shootout is already regarded as a pretty boring way to decide games. That would put FAR too much emphasis on having 1 guy who's very good at penalty shots. Unless of course the penalty shot could only be taken by the player who drew the penalty, but even then

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
If a ref misses a call or calls some bs you should be allowed to fight the ref.
If the ref loses, he is out of the game with 2-3 game ban. You have 3 backup refs waiting, after that the Zamboni driver takes over.
If the ref wins, his call stands and the player gets a 10 minute penalty for losing a fight against a ref.

Lemon Lover

Forever in Blueland
Jun 19, 2010
Atlanta
Embellishment should be a 1 minute minor.

Gets rid of both currently bad scenarios: both players are called or only the player with the hook/trip/hold

This way the team still gets a PP but is "punished" by the embellishment.

Also, accidental puck over glass - 1 min. Intentional puck over glass - 2 min.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
I want them to serve the whole 2min penalty unless a short handed goal is scored. Also for bench minors the team on the pp should pick the player to sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad