Should Neely be fired?

Should Neely be fired?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ben Grimm

Takin care of business! 🏒
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Hell no! Obviously, he should have signed Swayman first, then traded Ullmark. They should give him a lifetime contract, because his presence in the Bs front office is such a huge advantage to all the other teams. I'm sure all the other teams would agree with this. Neely forever! :yo:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Entirely depends on how this plays out. If Swayman stays unsigned and the Bruins proceed to win a lot of games, then no. If he sits out the entire year and they still make the playoffs, also no.

Given hes a franchise legend and the team has been a consistent playoff team during his tenure, I think the only way he would be fired is if Swayman gets traded/sits out the whole year and the Bruins finish in the basement.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Why Neely (President) and not Sweeney (GM)?

The Bruins should have traded Ullmark last year. They essentially had a Vezina-caliber backup every night, instead of a skilled skater that can contribute every night. They then traded Ullmark for a terrible return, and low-balled Swayman to the point where their offers have been insulting (2.000 last year and under 5.000 in July this year). It took them 3 months to offer something reasonable.

Sweeney should be fired. Not really sure about Neely.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I didn't like how he gas lit the fan base to turn on swayman with his 64m comment.

It was an intended comment and he knew what he was doing.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It is probably fair to wonder if Neely ever should have been hired in the first place but teams seem to find places for their legends.

2015/ Current Goalie situation and I feel his worst moment was the signing of Mitch Miller. That needed Bergeron and the players to sort out.

It's possible he's just a figurehead at this point anyway so I really don't care. He's done nothing to suggest he deserves his position.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Why Neely (President) and not Sweeney (GM)?

The Bruins should have traded Ullmark last year. They essentially had a Vezina-caliber backup every night, instead of a skilled skater that can contribute every night. They then traded Ullmark for a terrible return, and low-balled Swayman to the point where their offers have been insulting (2.000 last year and under 5.000 in July this year). It took them 3 months to offer something reasonable.

Sweeney should be fired. Not really sure about Neely.

Ullmark blocked a trade last year. It limited the Bruins options where to trade him to. Come the off season, the Bruins were in a time crunch to find another trading partner or risk Ullmark gaining the ability to block another trade before his clause kicked in ( and missing out on this year's draft ).

Bruins offered several multi year deals this off-season to Swayman, some were bridge deals, some long term. All the offers were reasonable when compared with recent goalies and what they got at his age and league status. There's a reason why it's taken so long and it's because Swayman and his agent are intent on skipping the typical third contract bridge a lot of these goaltenders sign who have yet to prove to be a full season #1 and splash big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad