Proposal: Should Jets trade Ehlers? (this season)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its his final year with his current contract, he'll get 6 mill next year and through to 24-25 season.
He is still young (22) he has trade value, should Jets trade him now?
Yes, Ehlers did score that hat-trick, however...his season so far has not been what many pictured, i think.

I think Jets need to improve their D and their center depth needs work as well.

Nikolaj Ehlers LW + Ben Chiarot LD -> Nashville
Mattias Ekholm LD+ Nick Bonino C -> Winnipeg

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I was thinking of a potential trade with the Oilers:

Ehlers + Chiarot
for
Nurse + Spooner.

Winnipeg needs a LHD, and with Sekera coming back soon and Caleb Jones looking amazing in the AHL, I could see it working for both teams.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Ehlers + Chiarot
for
Nurse + Spooner.

Winnipeg needs a LHD, and with Sekera coming back soon and Caleb Jones looking amazing in the AHL, I could see it working for both teams.
I can’t tell if you’re serious or not

This is horrendous for Winnipeg

Talk about overvaluing your teams players

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
No, Ehlers is vital to the team. He tilts the ice.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Even if the Jets decided to move Ehlers for some insane reason, Nashville is probably the last place Chevy would trade him to.

Reactions: Devonator

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Flawed premises. Ehlers is already on his new contract and the Jets have 8m in capspace

May as well close this thread

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

Ehlers + Chiarot
for
Nurse + Spooner.

That’s an absolute steal for PC, so it’s totally unrealistic.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Winnipeg will probably have to trade one high dollar guy like Perrault or Kulikov, but I highly doubt they'll move Ehlers unless someone's handing out very valuable futures.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
You move the old expensive core before you move the young core. Wheeler(not that I agree you trade home) would get you a handsome return and you keep building.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
My guess about how theyll deal with the cap crunch is they'll make a trade like the Mason+Armia deal. A decent player that will want more than the Jets can afford and a cap dump to a rich team. Kulikov+Tanev for nothing probably

No need to trade ehlers or Connor

Reactions: Snowman and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Its his final year with his current contract, he'll get 6 mill next year and through to 24-25 season.
Yes, Ehlers did score that hat-trick, however...his season so far has not been what many pictured, i think.

short answer: no

long answer: he struggled to begin the year but has started to produce as of late (11 pts in his last 11 games). Bonino isn't an improvement over any of the top 9Cs the Jets have (Scheifele-Little-Lowry). Ekholm would be a great grab and would be a strong partner for Buff, but I think the Jets would like to wait and see what they have in Samberg & Niku for LHD prior to making any move that involves dealing Ehlers.

Also, any impending cap issues can be mitigated with moving Perreault or Kulikov (similar deals transactions to what the Jets did with Mason this past year). NOT moving one of their young guns in Connor and/or Ehlers

Reactions: Hunter368

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Ehlers and 2019 4th for Dahlen Gudbranson and 2019 5th

north49er

Dec 20, 2017

Please take your medication and lie down for a while......

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
Ehlers and Laine seem to be huge friends, so keeping Ehlers keeps Laine happy and possibly willing to sign a slightly more team-friendly deal.

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Flawed premises. Ehlers is already on his new contract and the Jets have 8m in capspace

May as well close this thread
The issue is that $8M in capspace can go quickly when Wheeler's cap hit rises by $2.5M next year (when his extension kicks in), and Laine, Connor and Trouba all become restricted free agents in July... Laine looks likely to score 50+ goals this year, and Connor could score 70+ points, so they're going to demand big raises next year, considering they're currently on ELCs.

I don't know that trading Ehlers is the right answer, but the cap situation could get pretty tricky to manage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad