Should Bunting be put back into the lineup?

Should Bunting be put into the lineup?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If Bunting was only suspended for one game, would people still be considering not putting him back into the lineup?
If it was the 7-2 games, I think we would still say 'let's try another game without him'.

If it was a closer game, there would be reason to consider putting him back.

But after three consecutive wins it looks like a no-brainer to leave him out.

In each of the last two games there have been fewer penalties than in the previous one.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They weren't outplayed 3/4 .

Where is this narrative coming from????
They were outplayed in parts of all four games, but overall they were the better teams in 3/4.

Part of the narrative is from people who are fans or anti-fans of particular players, part is just trolling or listening to trolls, and part is from people who are protecting themselves from massive disappointment by getting their excuses in line early.

Reactions: klmdg

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Bunting drew more penalties than any other player in the NHL this year. Odds are we get a PP, more so that a PK.

With Bunting on the ice, we scored 64% of the goals. He has one point less than Tavares 5v5 this year. He makes the team better, and has consistently done so.

He is a far superior hockey player than ZAR…. And he’ll be more of a distraction for Tampa than us…
True, and maybe what I meant to say is, our PK needs to be more consistent. I don’t have the stats to look at, though.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They were outplayed in parts of all four games, but overall they were the better teams in 3/4.

Part of the narrative is from people who are fans or anti-fans of particular players, part is just trolling or listening to trolls, and part is from people who are protecting themselves from massive disappointment by getting their excuses in line early.

I’m legitimately curious which of games 1 and 3 you think the Leafs were the better team? They were clearly outplayed in both. Sure, in game 4 despite the comeback the Leafs were probably the better team by a bit, but that’s doesn’t apply to game 3.

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
They haven’t played well but winning so why upset the Apple cart? Making the call now eliminates a day and a half of speculation and distraction. I think sitting him is the call

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Yep, I had a feeling he would be scratched... Imagine the scrutiny if Keefe put him back in, and they lose game 5.

And if you lose game 5, now you can put him back in and have no issues.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Let him play against Boston… the guys who just won 3 in a row, deserve to take TB out in a sweep.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Yep, I had a feeling he would be scratched... Imagine the scrutiny if Keefe put him back in, and they lose game 5.

And if you lose game 5, now you can put him back in and have no issues.
Keefe with reactionary loser coaching methods.

Lead or GTFO.

He's a chicken because of his track record of leading teams to doom.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I’m legitimately curious which of games 1 and 3 you think the Leafs were the better team? They were clearly outplayed in both. Sure, in game 4 despite the comeback the Leafs were probably the better team by a bit, but that’s doesn’t apply to game 3.
Apparently some of the fancy stats say we were the better team in game 1 (I don't believe it, and that's part of why I'm skeptical of people who rely on them too much.

Game 3 was very close, but I give the slight edge to the team that won.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Fare thee well my Scarborough Prince

Correct decision. Let him sit an extra game and really drive home that this isn't just "league out to get Bunting." Let him have that extra chance to really absorb the idea of just how much he frog'd it up and that he needs to earn his place back.

If the Leafs win game 5 I have no problem with starting Bunting in game 1 against Boston. But we've been to win #3 and gotten no further too many times to get cute right now. Go with the guys who won you 3 games to get win #4. you have 2 games to try something else if it doesn't work tomorrow.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Keefe with reactionary loser coaching methods.

Lead or GTFO.

He's a chicken because of his track record of leading teams to doom.
Silly post. This is what leadership looks like. He knows more about Bunting's headspace than were capable of knowing. I think it's very possible that Bunting is stuck in a narrative of oh, the league is out to get me, and sending him right back out there in that headspace would be a TERRIBLE idea. The Leafs have a luxury with the 3-1 lead of not necessarily needing to be all hands on deck. use that opportunity while you've got it. Especially if you have ambitions beyond round 2.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

I wish there was a Bunting GTFO option

I voted No.

Correct decision. Let him sit an extra game and really drive home that this isn't just "league out to get Bunting." Let him have that extra chance to really absorb the idea of just how much he frog'd it up and that he needs to earn his place back.

If the Leafs win game 5 I have no problem with starting Bunting in game 1 against Boston. But we've been to win #3 and gotten no further too many times to get cute right now. Go with the guys who won you 3 games to get win #4. you have 2 games to try something else if it doesn't work tomorrow.
That's fair.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Apparently some of the fancy stats say we were the better team in game 1 (I don't believe it, and that's part of why I'm skeptical of people who rely on them too much.

Game 3 was very close, but I give the slight edge to the team that won.

I was surprised to see how close game 1 was when I just looked, but Tampa still had a slight xGF edge both 5 on 5 and in all situations and our goaltending was much worse. Score effects is also a thing that made that game look close statistically than it probably was

Game 3 wasn’t even close. Tampa has twice as many xGF 5 on 5 and was better on the PP as well. Money Pucks’s “deserve to win o’meter” was 75% in Tampa’s favour as well.

Game 4 was almost dead even as well which surprised me. I thought Toronto was better in every period except the 1st but the 1st was so bad I guess it evened out.

So 2 even games and 1 dominant game for each team. We’re lucky to be up 3-1 for sure

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Don’t change a winning lineup. If we never lose all the way to the finals, sorry bud.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Reality check: the Leafs have been outshot in 2 of 4 games. The 2 games in Tampa Bay were not emphatic wins. Tampa Bay had a deserved lead of 4-1 after 2 periods of game 4. It's very nice how things have gone but the Leafs have not be blowing Tampa Bay away. Not accepting the team's 5th leading scoring forward back into the lineup would be utter madness.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If Matthews missed a win due to injury or suspension you wouldn't put him in?
Matthews is a tier so far above that it’s not even a comparison. Don’t.
Hedman is hurt he comes back. Bogo is hurt, he stays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad