Online Series: Shogun (D+ and FX Feb 2024)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dec 29, 2004
I finally watched this. It was brilliant. The only complaint I have is that they won't leave it where it ended. More? No thanks, that was the right amount.

Mariko is the archetype of a strong woman that Star Wars hasn't been able to replicate since Leia. I will go further and say that all the female characters with speaking roles (be it mother of the heir or expensive whore) were quite strong, influential, and impressive in their own ways.

I think the writers do an excellent job of diving into the tradition of dutiful service over individual autonomy, especially as it pertains to the women. Mariko and Fuji are both tragically imprisoned by their duties and have had to endure such loss and sadness while maintaining a strong facade and serving those they're duty-bound to.
I think every one of the characters is a prisoner of fate. Even the bad guy, Ishido, thinks he is doing the right thing. The story is a tragedy and any promise of a happy ending is a lie.

I think a second season is a mistake. Thankfully, Band of Brothers wasn't made in this era or there surely would have been a second season...

Reactions: I am not exposed

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I finally watched this. It was brilliant. The only complaint I have is that they won't leave it where it ended. More? No thanks, that was the right amount.

That's pretty much where the book ends.

So they would be inventing any future content with no source material from James Clavell.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I expected it to get a bunch of nominations, but not this many. Outstanding Drama Series and Best Actor for Hiroyuki Sanada (Toranaga) were sure bets, but Anna Sawai (Mariko), Tadanobu Asano (Yabushige) and Takehiro Hira (Ishido) were also nominated. I'm really happy for Asano. I don't really understand the Hira nomination, but perhaps Supporting Actor isn't very competitive this year. Too bad that Cosmo Jarvis (Blackthorne) didn't get a nomination, but maybe Best Actor is competitive.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, not a masterpiece in my book.

I actually prefer Road Warrior. I find the gritty feel fits the setting better than sweeping vistas and visuals.

So, in the book, it’s a bit more explicit but his reunion with all of them (not just one guy) emphasizes how much he’s changed and how little he has in common with his old crew.

Blackthorne bathes regularly now and finds their manners and physical hygiene repulsive.

Anyway, terrific work from Hiroyuki Saneda in this episode. A lot of the emotion he displays is through facial expressions and subtle eye contact.

Road Warrior is a brilliant film. 10 out of 10 for me.

Fury Road was decent, but the third best in the franchise (after the first 2).

I'm on episode 8 of Shogun. Very good show so far. Agree with a lot of the comments posted here so far. I figured if Osprey is waxing lyrical about it, it must be pretty good!

• Haha
Reactions: Osprey

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It felt like Blackthorne’s character fell off a bit too much throughout the season. Could just be my American sensibilities but I was expecting him to be more of a focus considering the tone that was set in the first few episodes.

He should’ve been nominated for something.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
With Shogun ending, if anyone is looking for another historical series to watch, I was reading today that Netflix just added all four seasons of Black Sails, the pirate drama which aired on Starz from 2014 to 2017. I was reminded of it at several points while watching Shogun, since both are set several hundred years ago, involve pirating and have an emphasis on realism. The main difference is that Shogun is an intimate character drama and Black Sails is more action/adventure like Treasure Island or Pirates of the Caribbean. So, it's different, but I really enjoyed it and recommend it, especially if you were hoping for more action in Shogun.

I watched Black Sails years ago. Yeah, very good show. Highly recommended.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad